Was The Ford 8N or any of the N Series tractors any good?

U-C

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

the moral of the story......buy diesel.....every time...:rolleyes:........

I like the way you think, Mike!

There was a pretty decent 871 Ford at an estate auction several weeks ago and I went to look at it with some serious intent.  You could tell that it was cared for, near perfect sheet metal, and evidence of several new glowplug-related parts.  In the end, I had to work on the auction day and temps were over 90-degrees besides.  I passed on it by telling myself that the price would have been $1K above my limit.  I'd rather have a 3-cyl. blue one anyway.

• Like 1

I had the “opportunity” to drive a “High Performance” 8N once!!

Multiple Sherman Overdrive Transmissions had been installed.  The tractor was capable of highly unsafe speeds, IF you were brave enough.  The steering on that particular tractor left LOTS to be desired!!!

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

if you really have a hankering for a ford, I would suggest a 600 or an 800 at the earliest.. if you are looking for something similar but a little different how about a dexta? variants of the 6 and 800 were available with live PTO.. personally I always wanted a Super Major, a friend has a Dexta, its a very useful little tractor. 3 Cyl diesel IIRC

Yes, we have a Dexta, two 801s and an 861 diesel.  Much, much more useful than any 8N I've ever been around.

Friend has an 8N he grades his driveway with.  He never unhooks the blade, says that's all its good for.

Actually now that I think of it, that backhoe is an early 4000.  But still the same machine as a late 801.

20200328_135138.jpg

20190402_182905.jpg

• Like 2

RICK - Your comparison of H & SH to 9N, 8N, & 2N isn't completely fair STILL.  You need to add ALL the W-4 & SW-4, O-4, OS-4, I-4,  There were no T-4 crawlers till '59 so no need to include them. The most popular, the W-4 only 24,377 built per Tractor Data, so IH still won't surpass the number of N fords built but you'll get closer.

Funny how companies get into a hole naming things.  Think there are 8-10 different Deere tractors with the same model number but TOTALLY different machines.  I frequent a FORD N-series Truck FACEBOOK page frequently.  The Ford N series truck is a short nose conventional with a slightly raised cab, models N-500, N-600, N-700, N-750, N-800, N-850, N-900, N-1000, N-1100. Power options from a Ford 170 cid in-line 6 up to 6-71 Detroit or Cat & Cummins engines.  I drove an N-750 for a while one summer, 6V-53 powered, 5+2 trans, made a whole hellofalot of noise and for trying to drive slow along side a potatoe harvester was NOT very user friendly, the Chevy C-65 with 292-6 was better loading, idling down loaded in soft ground, and was faster on the road loaded or empty, but the C-65 with 350 truck engine was better in all catagories, except fuel use. The 6V53 was most economical, the 292 was close, 350 burned much more.  On the bigger heavier models, N-850 and above the Ford Super-Duty 401, 477, & 534 V-8's were available.  Guys with FORD trucks hauling livestock used to LOVE passing IH, Chevy, or GMC trucks on the way to the Chicago Stockyards on Sunday nights.  The RD-450's in the CO-190's Dad drove couldn't come close to keeping up.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:41 AM, 1586 Jeff said:

I had the “opportunity” to drive a “High Performance” 8N once!!

Multiple Sherman Overdrive Transmissions had been installed.  The tractor was capable of highly unsafe speeds, IF you were brave enough.  The steering on that particular tractor left LOTS to be desired!!!

Hold my beer?

1952ford8nantique2wdtractor.jpg.ad70457b56db228e6c25971d12505dfc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I thought all the v8 and 6 cyl ones were funk conversion kits?

All the 6 and 8 cylinders were kits, but not necessarily Funk. I believe there are kits that can still be bought today for a V8 conversion. The Funk kits were very well put together because they used a Funk cast oil pan. Some other kits I have seen require the use of an external frame and do not look as “clean”. A guy that drives a truck for us said his dad had a 6 cylinder Funk conversion. They pulled a three bottom plow with it, but had a lot of rear end problems. Still used it for years though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, rrr4quality said:

I hope 8n lasts longer than this thread!?43FC80BD-FE95-4495-9BFB-60748CB8D27C.thumb.jpeg.d12b97c05a0657edfd3d974f8f5c5e04.jpeg

I think it will, nice tractor by the way

• Thanks 1

I borrowed a 8n many years ago pulled a iron wheeled Cockshutt drill seeded a 100 acres of wheat. it drank more oil than gas. i burnt the exhaust system clean off. it did the job but that was its last. still sits in the barn. rim ate off cause of calcium

2 hours ago, edwardporter1 said:

I borrowed a 8n many years ago pulled a iron wheeled Cockshutt drill seeded a 100 acres of wheat. it drank more oil than gas. i burnt the exhaust system clean off. it did the job but that was its last. still sits in the barn. rim ate off cause of calcium

That 8N must of been on its last leg for burning the exhaust system off and using more oil then gas! I don't like calcium in tires for that reason its nice to have the weight but ya know lol

has anyone ever repowered an 8N with a 3 cylinder Diesel? With a Kubota or some other engine brand?

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, U-C said:

has anyone ever repowered an 8N with a 3 cylinder Diesel? With a Kubota or some other engine brand?

U -C  .....You have posted some wonderful pictures     and tractor related  info...from Europe.......but to spare  us from this very stressful  trip back, down that trail   of tears,   into the dark ages......I know where there is a low hour, 454  Hydro...that would suit your requirements..:wub:....A  tractor comparable to comparing    a BMW    road   bike to a uni-cycle......:mellow:........when placed along side that  neanderthal creation   that early, hopeful farming homo sapiens  endured , in a vain glorious  endeavour towards progress.......

We can all sense your  indecision   ...inlight of comments above ....and there have  been some heartfelt responses to your predicament....none more so elequently  put than   Old Tanker "     ...Rick ...whose very presence  sits over this expansive thread like a Mount Rushmore     carving....

Anyway...those are my , no doubt , unwanted thoughts  on your situation.....Filling five pages of released anguish re the Ford  tractor...on a  Harvester site ..is, without doubt , a fine achievement....We all hope you can come through this without extensive counselling .....:)

Mike        ( an unashamed    Ford pickup  owner.........:ph34r:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, U-C said:

A local guy who has done many different conversions, 706 with 345(708) for example installed a yanmar from a John Deere 950 into an 8N. You would think its factory.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, 766 Man said:

Don't know how it was in other regions around the US but the AC WD was a formidable competitor in the value tractor class that people might place the N's in.  I could find more WD's around here on a ready basis today versus N Fords.  It was said that the aggressive AC dealers could price a WD and plow within 250 dollars of an 8N.  The WD had slightly more engine power than a Farmall H.  

Price point maybe wasn’t the sole attraction of Allis❤️

F00BD91C-1661-4B90-8FBE-0E9C571BF190.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cedar farm said:

A local guy who has done many different conversions, 706 with 345(708) for example installed a yanmar from a John Deere 950 into an 8N. You would think its factory.

Now thats an interesting idea..

I have a 706 gas...I have a good running 345...hmm

The town of devils lake has a car show weekend every year at this time. Lots of cars show up. Heading down the hiway on a trailer was a Ford N v8 conversion. Custom painted burgundy and darker charcoal almost with chrome headers and grill plus other chrome. I was driving the opposite way and didn’t get a picture but it was sharp. Also a lowered and altered 52 Ihc pickup was a ahead of it a ways

• Like 1

In my entry re our grey Ferguson earlier I used the term "just right".  On reflection the rest of the story of where that came from seems to go with some sentiments on this thread.

A country publican found he had an "Off" keg of beer.  Instead of just pouring it out he offered it to one of his good customers who had put a fair bit of the value of the farm he no longer owned over the counter.  

So the customer and some friends collected the keg, retired to a favourite fishing spot and, some days later returned the keg.

The publican  "How was it?"

Customer  "Just right"

Publican  "What do you mean"?

Customer  "It was just right.  If it was any worse we couldn't have drunk it and if it was any better you wouldn't have given it to us".

• Haha 2

The guy in the upper right small photo is Art Nordstrom. He owns Nordstrom's Auto Recyclers by Sioux Falls, SD. He is driving his Ford tractor with a flat head Ford in it. He done the push work at the local dirt track with this. It was, and still is, a show in itself.

Thanks Art.

grouphoto2.jpg