No Spraying!

hobbyfarm

On 5/29/2021 at 1:33 PM, dads706 said:

I'll take the side of the landowner. I can 100% guarantee you guys that if I said "No Spray" and you got caught, your lease would be terminated on the spot and you would be assured that this is your last year farming ANY of my ground.

I say this because I am one of those not spray/limited spray landlords. My wife has a business in the middle of one of our farms. Each year we plant 20-50 lbs of wild flower seeds around the business area. You talk about the cost of seed corn etc...... you should buy 50 lbs of wildflower seed sometime. It is usually sold by the ounce. Our renter is very good about working with us. Absolutely ZERO dicamba and any others are sprayed only when the wind is right. He has worked with us since day one Not only spraying but he makes sure that if she has a function or anything there, they will make sure they do not do field work or harvest there that day. I couldn't ask for a better renter, and in return he gets a break on the rent on this farm.

I say all this because some of the posts above struck a nerve. You seem to forget who owns the land. The rules are spelled out in the lease. We have both done some give and take on the farm. The other farms rents from us he farms as he chooses. 

I believe someone said in another thread several months ago (and I'll paraphrase). "In my house you obey my rules, in yours, I obey yours".

I'm guessing you never sprayed yourself. 

I’ve been reading this thread for a few days but have waited to chime in. Land owner rights aside, when you get into the whole spray issues, there are two extremes, and hopefully some middle ground. One extreme is the full organic farms, which is really tough, especially where noxious weeds are concerned. The other extreme is the full on chemical farming, burn downs, spray on everything, etc. Everyone’s situation is different, but on my ground, which is quite heavy, I still believe in tillage when replanting hay, and really have no desire to spray any more chemicals than are truely necessary. Targeted applications, of course when needed, a plow and disc still work when replanting. Just my $.02.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

Will have to check out what they are.  Not really familiar.  Minimal rock, pretty good ground.

They were almost free unless all the scrap guys have cleaned them up

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Not the impression I got.

If he has his applicatos license than he would know there are multiple options to reduce the potential for drift. Just because a field was sprayed doesn't mean there will be off target application. 

On 5/29/2021 at 1:33 PM, dads706 said:

I'll take the side of the landowner. I can 100% guarantee you guys that if I said "No Spray" and you got caught, your lease would be terminated on the spot and you would be assured that this is your last year farming ANY of my ground.

I say this because I am one of those not spray/limited spray landlords. My wife has a business in the middle of one of our farms. Each year we plant 20-50 lbs of wild flower seeds around the business area. You talk about the cost of seed corn etc...... you should buy 50 lbs of wildflower seed sometime. It is usually sold by the ounce. Our renter is very good about working with us. Absolutely ZERO dicamba and any others are sprayed only when the wind is right. He has worked with us since day one Not only spraying but he makes sure that if she has a function or anything there, they will make sure they do not do field work or harvest there that day. I couldn't ask for a better renter, and in return he gets a break on the rent on this farm.

I say all this because some of the posts above struck a nerve. You seem to forget who owns the land. The rules are spelled out in the lease. We have both done some give and take on the farm. The other farms rents from us he farms as he chooses. 

I believe someone said in another thread several months ago (and I'll paraphrase). "In my house you obey my rules, in yours, I obey yours".

I wish all of my landlords were like you. Sounds like you have a good relationship and good communication. Most of the time when we hear from an owner it is just to complain about why we didn’t do this or that. Or that they are raising the rent because so and so BTO stopped by and offered more money. They don’t understand how much money and time it takes to do all the things they want done and pay their top dollar rent. I would gladly do an owner a favor for just a little bit of consideration from them. Too often it seems the more favors you do for them the more they expect. All this only to have them rent it to someone else if they think it is better for them. I think a lot of farmers think landowners don’t care about them so why should they care either. In most cases I’m not sure they are wrong. 

4 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Talk to the landlord about treated dry fertilizer.  he may be OK with that since it is not spray, as said.  Remind him that that is what is used on lawns.

Dry fertilizer is fine.  Planted my Sudangrass and put some down today.

12 hours ago, hardtail said:

They were almost free unless all the scrap guys have cleaned them up

Still see lots of them on smaller farm sales around here, and they go next to nothing. Probably most need some work to get them back in working condition, but they are still around 

Damn.... why am I catching ****. I never said I was against spraying. I think you should ask the landlord his reasoning. He may not understand why you want/need to spray. 

As for accusing me of never spraying anything myself...... be careful where you go with that. I sprayed my first field of corn in the late 1950's and my last when RR corn was only a couple years old.

14 hours ago, dads706 said:

Damn.... why am I catching ****. I never said I was against spraying. I think you should ask the landlord his reasoning. He may not understand why you want/need to spray. 

As for accusing me of never spraying anything myself...... be careful where you go with that. I sprayed my first field of corn in the late 1950's and my last when RR corn was only a couple years old.

You make a valid point that is still the landlords land. Not just spraying but all land issues will go smoother the better the lines of communication are back and forth. 

Well now that I'm one of those bad a** landlords who doesn't let the renter have free rein. I don't just sit back all meek and mild and do as I'm told. Even though that land was bought and paid for by me and nobody else.

My rental agreement states that the renter will keep all volunteer trees cut in the terraces and fence rows.   I told him when he rented the farms that I would never tell him that statement twice.       His comment was that I could look at any of his terraces and and fence rows and realize that I would never have to.

All it takes is black coffee, my wife's chocolate cake, the dining room table, and honest conversation. It's amazing what can be accomplished.  

• Like 1