IH 656 for our new farm? Or which would you recommend?

RedOhio

I'd be trying to find a nice 806/856 diesel I think.  966 posted above looks like a good option too.

I don't like the idea of a loader on a NF (I don't like NF at all to be honest) and I'd be going diesel.  And as mentioned above there is alot more iron (and capacity) in the larger frame tractors.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedOhio said:

That thing is HUGE :o and no price makes me breakout into a cold sweat!

In this area a 1066 can sometimes be bought for less than a 766 or 966. A lot of 1066's are yard and chore tractors. I have a loader for one of my 1066's and spray and planted with it this spring on a 6 row planter. It used about 30 gallons of fuel to plant 80 acres. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5088 said:

I'd be trying to find a nice 806/856 diesel I think.  966 posted above looks like a good option too.

I don't like the idea of a loader on a NF (I don't like NF at all to be honest) and I'd be going diesel.  And as mentioned above there is alot more iron (and capacity) in the larger frame tractors.

I do know where a Diesel 806 open station with 2 remotes, 3 point, and wide front is for ($9200 OBO)

3 minutes ago, RedOhio said:

I do know where a Diesel 806 open station with 2 remotes, 3 point, and wide front is for ($9200 OBO)

You'll need to do your research pricewise and evaluate the condition, but an 806 is a pretty capable tractor.  Spent hundreds of hours on them (maybe even 1000s).

26 minutes ago, RedOhio said:

Burkholders will be top,top dollar and sorta surprised first thing I see is no battery covers.

Tells me a lot. 

• Like 1

As stated already, a 1066 can frequently be cheaper than a smaller 66.   

Did we already express that 9k for a 656 was Hi?  

If it was a diesel. Had all new tires. And was in wicked beautiful,original,condition or nicely repainted....then I could see 9k. 

If the hydro tests out strong I would actually want that over any gear drive for a loader tractor hands down. One advantage of buying one without a loader is it's not already beat up by using as a loader tractor. Now if you definitely didn't want a loader on it I would buy an 806, 1066, 1086 etc. I always want a turbo once I get a diesel tractor. 

One thing comparing the 06-56 series is it costs much more to overhaul than a 66-86 series with a 414 or 436

• Like 1

I live in NW PA about an hour east of you. Our first tractor was 656 hydro gas, nf, still have it. For years that was our main tractor, now there are 966, 100 hydro, 1066S, all over kill for what we do. Wonderful tractors. but more than we need. We don't try to make a living at it, and mostly make square bales on about 80 acres.

If your planning on doing a lot of plowing and such, then yea, go with something a little more solid, but that 656 has been a wonderful tractor, and is usually the first one to get used for something.

A front loader is a great piece of equipment, but they to me seem to be in the road on your main piece of equipment. A nice little utility with a bucket is a really handy thing. I realize that is another expense, but you have to love them.

For 25 acres,  I think the 656 would work fine. Again, as far as a cab, your not going to be spending that much time in it, compared to making a living from it. Just more expense and upkeep. Our tractors that had cabs were discarded. You can always go bigger if your directions change.

I had seen a wide front for a 656 on craigslist not that long ago.

Good luck, you should be able to find plenty of equipment over in your neck of the woods.

• Like 1

If the 806 is in good shape, that would be a better option than a 656 GAS hydro......................I would still recommend looking at cab's............When your out there raking in the evening swallowing bugs and coughing them back up, remember what TP said:lol:   Or remember what TP said when there is a stiff wind out of the north and your plowing the driveway and look like Randy going to school on the Christmas story:lol:

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Burkholders will be top,top dollar and sorta surprised first thing I see is no battery covers.

Tells me a lot. 

Without question!   It most likely is a good tractor, they buy good stuff at auctions then put it on their lot for about 25 to 40% more than they paid.

The 656 hydro would be one handy tractor but I think I would go with a larger frame,.Hydro's are great for hay making, An 826 hydro would be perfect!  But you have to search for and find a good one..... You need to not worry about the size of the tractor. In your case I would consider the 656 the minimum size. A 756 or 806/ 856 would be great, so would a 766, 966 or even a 1066. A larger tractor will do anything you need to do now and in the future. It boils down to which one is in the best condition, a 656 in great shape beats a worn out 856 and vice versa. Cabs are also very nice for hay making.....

• Like 1

I am the odd one out as I would prefer an open station canopy for making hay . Windows are never dirty and no cab tractor has near as good of visibility as an open station. Air-conditioning doesn't quit working on an open station as well. 

Canopy=in the shade and the breeze

• Like 4

Congratulations on the property.  I guess I would need more info.  I have a 656 d282 with a wide front. The 282 diesel can be very hard to start in the middle of winter without a block warmer. The gas is going to be more maintenance but start if needed in the winter   Are you going to run a late model silage baler?  If so I would think the 656 is at the bottom end of horse power.  An older twine tie round baler no problem.  Haybine or discbine is 2 remotes.  Hydraulic drive manure spreader with tailgate is 2 remotes.  I would want 2 remotes.  You can add one but need to figure that in.    Lots to think about.  

• Like 1

Be patient, the right tractor will come along. Keep doing your research and checking around. There was a 656 gas hydro on market place for $4300. here in Michigan last week, it sold quick! I bought my 806d at auction somewhat cheap four years ago. Also went from square bales to round bales so glad I have the bigger tractor. Just get a red one and you’ll have a lot of support here!

4 hours ago, RedOhio said:

It is a gasser, yes.

Oof. Hydro gasser...  I'd pass on that. Too inefficient. You lose with the gas engine, and lose with the hydro. I know there are some that like gas hydros, but they don't use them for much. They make good winter loader tractors because they start easy in the cold.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

If the 806 is in good shape, that would be a better option than a 656 GAS hydro......................I would still recommend looking at cab's............When your out there raking in the evening swallowing bugs and coughing them back up, remember what TP said:lol:   Or remember what TP said when there is a stiff wind out of the north and your plowing the driveway and look like Randy going to school on the Christmas story:lol:

The AC on 86 series tractors rarely works. Yes, it can be fixed, but most people just don't have any idea where to start. Heck I have no idea where to start on the AC on my 1586. 

dont flame me but this is in the price point - no AC - might be better off w/open station https://chillicothe.craigslist.org/grd/d/mc-dermott-ford-tractor-6600-with-cab/7316053694.html

I have many thots around the 656 gasser - never ran a BIG round baler with a 263 gasser but with that small acreage plenty doable. Shade would be a requirement in ohio summer, working one of those gassers hard, let it cool down before shutting off or you will be doing head/valve work. 

not a huge fan of the 282 diesel personally, have owned a couple, one was problematic the other not so much. 

I wouldnt worry about the narrow front outside of running ovr the windrows. I grew up as a kid on a 400 w/koyker loader and the pucker factor in the seat will keep you honest. I dont trust anyone on used anything w/out signed papers these days, times have changed. 

i grew up mowing with a jd B and no 5 sickle mower, an umbrella, baled small bales with the 400, or had the neighbor do it. Old side delivery rake was fine and would suffice for 25 acres. Just preference on how you want to do it - you can do it with lil to nothing just takes more time/patience. 

706 w/german, 806, 886 would be a good option but if you cant find one then do what you need to do. 

the price sounds a lil steep on the 656 for around here 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The AC on 86 series tractors rarely works. Yes, it can be fixed, but most people just don't have any idea where to start. Heck I have no idea where to start on the AC on my 1586. 

I take the doors off

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedOhio said:

There is very little difference in actual size or maneuverability between a 656 and a 966.  And I believe you mentioned a round bales, a 656 would be underpowered for a full size round baler, a 966 will work pretty hard with a full bale in any kind of hills.  I bought an 856 on auction last September for $3000 and it took about $1000 parts and my labor to put it in good shape another $1000 if I had hired it done, so $5000 total.

5 hours ago, RedOhio said:

There is very little difference in actual size or maneuverability between a 656 and a 966.  And I believe you mentioned a round bales, a 656 would be underpowered for a full size round baler, a 966 will work pretty hard with a full bale in any kind of hills.  I bought an 856 on auction last September for $3000 and it took about $1000 parts and my labor to put it in good shape another $1000 if I had hired it done, so $5000 total.

9 grand is too much for what your getting, should take a wise IH man to relook it over test drive from a cold start up to operating temp. I'd make them hook up to a heavy implement when it is up to temp to make sure the hydraulic pump is good, same with the three point, will it lift an implement. PTO runs an haybine. Better yet, hooked up to a Dyno. If the hydro goes out you'll have a nice lawn ornament.

13 hours ago, RedOhio said:

Their Asking price is $8950.00

Too much for what it is.

Honestly if it were cheaper I would be interested. It's set up like the one I got for cheap at the end of high school and rebuilt the engine ( hydro was still good). Was a sweet tractor for running our square baler. Had it 3 years and early July 2005 I loaned it to a buddy's family to bale hay since they were short a tractor because one went down. Thunderstorm came up on them and they took it to the barn. After they went to the house, lightning struck the barn and set it on fire and my 656 burned with it. 

I want a narrow 656 gas hydro more for nostalgia sake more than anything else really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

It isn't rocket science..............Buy it, put the Sanden conversion/complete hose/line kit on it from AP air, cleaning things out while they are apart.............Put it together, charge it and it works without headaches.  Yes, costs money, but I don't intend to see how big of a box I can locate to take it all with me when I go, so who in the world wants to take doors off, pack dirt in everything inside and everything in yourself for what pencils out over many hours for not much at all????   And the OP never said his age, but if he is young and going to have or has a family, the cab is well worth the investment.  I put some hay up last week and the only time I didn't have little riders with me was while I was sweating my bag off:blush: under my mary poppins unbrella raking hay on a open station tractor(Mower and baler tractors were cabbed with cold air)...........Sun wasn't directly on me, but not sure how 90 is cool with or without the sun?  

All this goes into the main point I am trying to make..............These machines never seem to go down in price these days, nor do the parts to keep them going, IMO it's sure easier to get something that will fit the future better right now, than buying something twice while everything to keep it going goes up in the mean time..............As the commercial goes, "Its your money, use it when you need it".................:lol:

• Like 2