Finished first cutting

bitty

Finally got done with haylage after rye . Been a tough year for lack of ample help. My boy has helped with hauling, a few hours of chopping and mowed some . My wife hauled as much as she could around her other job schedule. Today we had 3 bald eagles in the pasture as my brother must have gotten a fawn . Over to the neighbors where we got 2 dozen loads they hit a fawn also. Eagles were at it and I got really close to them. I would have had my phone ready to take a few pictures if I would have realized I was going to get that close. We ended up seeing 5 in the air 

IMG_20210514_174024809.jpg

IMG_20210519_100348502.jpg

IMG_20210519_105703791_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210519_105656908_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210519_104724163_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210516_135127409.jpg

IMG_20210519_103515838.jpg

IMG_20210519_103509730.jpg

• Like 12

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes I forget that our late growing season does not reflect everywhere. My 1st is just starting to grow good, will be at least a couple more weeks before I start . Not to mention it might freeze tonight. I do know how good it feels to be done with first, though typically there isn’t that much time before I start going through again.

20 minutes ago, DaveinSD said:

Sometimes I forget that our late growing season does not reflect everywhere. My 1st is just starting to grow good, will be at least a couple more weeks before I start . Not to mention it might freeze tonight. I do know how good it feels to be done with first, though typically there isn’t that much time before I start going through again.

Dave,

How does the freeze affect the nitrate level? What do you put up for haylage?

I don’t do any haylage, all mine gets baled as hay. Alfalfa can take a light freeze and be fine, too much will freeze it off. Sorghum is still not up, we worry about the nitrates in that, and try to make sure to cut it before first frost in the fall. I just use the sorghum as a filler year crop before I go back with oats and alfalfa next year.

Hi bitty marvellous seeing those eagles hunting,I don't recognise the yellow framed Machine in your 6 th photo can you tell me what it is?

2 hours ago, wombwell said:

Hi bitty marvellous seeing those eagles hunting,I don't recognise the yellow framed Machine in your 6 th photo can you tell me what it is?

Oxbo 334 hay merger . Makes bigger rows for the chopper

• Like 2

Looks Good, Tim!

A lot of first crop chopped here this week. Only saw one alfalfa field that was not cut down.... Finally got some needed rain ,only couple tenths at home. Five or six inches behind average precip. for the year.

Paul

• Like 1

Was helping my brother and his sons with rye and 1st crop also. He bought a self propelled chopper and new pull boxes this year, A little different getting used to.

E1154079-7D3E-41A3-BCC0-C091AEFBE248.jpeg

855DEB8B-F01F-4278-BEDC-96E3B7E9AB93.jpeg

947267D4-BC2C-4032-A7BD-007748FA4C09.jpeg

• Like 3

Most everyone jumped on the hay crop early up here. I drove down through Dutchess County NY, on Wednesday and was surprised at the little amount of the hay crop that had been cut.

It looked like the farms down through there were after getting the crops in the ground more so than taking hay off, but I suppose it’s not a big issue when you’re not feeding dairy animals as I was even more surprised at the number of dairies that have gone extinct since I was last down that way.
Sad doesn’t describe the destruction of the rural agriculture economy by the failed policies of government and cheap food. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wi Ih said:

Was helping my brother and his sons with rye and 1st crop also. He bought a self propelled chopper and new pull boxes this year, A little different getting used to.

E1154079-7D3E-41A3-BCC0-C091AEFBE248.jpeg

855DEB8B-F01F-4278-BEDC-96E3B7E9AB93.jpeg

947267D4-BC2C-4032-A7BD-007748FA4C09.jpeg

Everyone has jumped onto the trucks around here. I can’t think of one pullbox in use here?

We are just about finished with 1st cutting. Got 100 acres left, was rain chances(so far nothing)so we didn't knock the rest down. Probably should have, so we would get some desperately needed rain. Yields have been good. I like the duals on the Massey!

• Like 1

Would have been fun to come up for a couple days Tim! Looking good.

Down here have very little alfalfa to chop and finished rye/triticale a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

We demoed a new 990 chopper for a couple days, unfortunately back in our old machine now. 

E524A42C-A4C5-49BA-B99C-3F81A2783054.jpeg

BC3C64C1-361D-416F-BBF1-25935C64D604.jpeg

1289DB6F-CD29-47AF-828A-27C8BF4FA64A.jpeg

• Like 2

You guys must have gotten more rain than we have. I've seen people cutting "hay" but it's nothing but seed stems. I'll bet my actual leaf isn't more than about 4" in the best places. Between the cooler temps and no rain for a long time, it hasn't grown.

• Sad 2

nice to see all the meyers  forage boxes, only about 3 miles from factory, guys seem to buy semis in bunches as i will see a whole line parked out there with a certain farm name on. and also around here a lot of trailer boxes used with dump carts,

1 hour ago, pt756 said:

nice to see all the meyers  forage boxes, only about 3 miles from factory, guys seem to buy semis in bunches as i will see a whole line parked out there with a certain farm name on. and also around here a lot of trailer boxes used with dump carts,

We have two Meyers wagons we converted to carts they are rear unload only and our two bigger ones are Fieldline carts made in Lancaster pa

3 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Everyone has jumped onto the trucks around here. I can’t think of one pullbox in use here?

The carts are faster in the field and here tractor trailers won't work in 99.9% of the places we farm. The next advantage is they are much higher flotation than a truck with floaters on it

• Like 2

We have the tractors so put them to use and like bitty says it easier to get around on the farm to. Trucks are nice but also another thing to maintain.

• Like 2

Looks great.  Mostly all carts around here too.  I think the straight trucks would be stuck quite a bit in wetter times.

• Like 1