OS4 Noisy Bull Gears

Hi everyone,

Has a question about the rear end in my newly acquired 1949 OS4.  The bull gears seem extremely noisy compared to my 1944 H tractor.  

I changed the oil and there was some water in it, but not a horrible amount. Put new 80W-90 in it and it got a little quieter, but still likes to growl.  The transmission shifts fine and there are no other noises.  Wasn't sure if this was just the nature of the beast or if I need to take the deck off and explore.

Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the forum! You will get more response when posting your questions in the General IH board, the support board is just for questions regarding the website itself. Maybe @FarmallFan can move this topic?

Regarding your question, the W4, OS4 etc are basically an H right? If it makes much difference, take a look. These rear ends are noisy, but if it's extremely loud, it might be wrong

6 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

First of all, welcome to the forum! You will get more response when posting your questions in the General IH board, the support board is just for questions regarding the website itself. Maybe @FarmallFan can move this topic?

Regarding your question, the W4, OS4 etc are basically an H right? If it makes much difference, take a look. These rear ends are noisy, but if it's extremely loud, it might be wrong

Thank for the tag, I have moved the topic to General IH.

that would be the crown and pinion whining , not the bull gears. it might have been apart and not set correctly. now that the whine is there you would need to replace either crown and pinion or the complete unit from another tractor. once they are whining you might quite it down if you could check and get the gears set to where they should be but it wont totally be gone. those gears run in a pattern.

My W4 is a lot quieter now we have fitted new bearings through the transmission and back end. Same goes for the W6 Dad and I have. We have used 85/140 gear oil which also seems to of helped with making them a bit quieter. 

20180804_122740.thumb.jpg.5a8129b73401b369a4166849a89f6799.jpg

The W4 and W6 are now similar noise wise to Dads Farmall  H.  The rear fenders will amplify any gear noise too in my experience and Dads Farmall H does not have fenders. The W6 was quieter without the fenders when we did the first road test after the transmission rebuild.

20180916_152233.thumb.jpg.1c7bba1db65c005064be5dc135167c92.jpg

Also the seat position can make a lot of difference . 

20200124_190304.thumb.jpg.def37c4810a77299a06e7345ce20eda9.jpg

Marty,NZ