School bus trailer hitch

Had some time on my hands last night, babysitting downed power lines and waiting for a line crew to deal with them. Got thinking about my school bus ownership aspirations, i want to be able to tow a short trailer large enough to carry my wife's 4 runner or my jeep. Given the geometry of a school bus, it seems like it would be pretty weird in traffic or in tight campgrounds. I got wondering of a swinging drawbar style hitch could be assembled and would that offset the long overhang behind the rear axle? Would need some kind of quick pin to lock in center for backing up and perhaps need to be spring loaded to return to center or avoid swaying on the highway. Maybe i am overthinking this. 

21 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had some time on my hands last night, babysitting downed power lines and waiting for a line crew to deal with them. Got thinking about my school bus ownership aspirations, i want to be able to tow a short trailer large enough to carry my wife's 4 runner or my jeep. Given the geometry of a school bus, it seems like it would be pretty weird in traffic or in tight campgrounds. I got wondering of a swinging drawbar style hitch could be assembled and would that offset the long overhang behind the rear axle? Would need some kind of quick pin to lock in center for backing up and perhaps need to be spring loaded to return to center or avoid swaying on the highway. Maybe i am overthinking this. 

Forget the trailer, build a drop down ramp and keep it all in one- like a camper/toy hauler deal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would definitely not make it swinging as that would multiply any bad things

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen such a thing.  The pivot was close up by the rear axle.  with a hydraulic ram to position it side to side.

You won't use it in traffic

Ditto on the no spring mount.

Ditto on the toy hauler

Just a regular old hitch will work........................

flat tow so you can disconnect and not have anything to back has its merits............

Camp at loose campgrounds?

58 minutes ago, bitty said:

I would definitely not make it swinging as that would multiply any bad things

Fair point, maybe just a custom trailer with a long tongue and put the hitch in closer to the axle 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

is this the bus you want to put it on?

they raised the roof and put plywood on the sides....added bonus is that has VT. plates on it

was spotted in PA.

IMG_20210526_072911622_HDR.jpg

free candy

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Fair point, maybe just a custom trailer with a long tongue and put the hitch in closer to the axle 

Then you will be limited in being able to cross dips. Only real answer is to move bus axle back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

they raised the roof and put plywood on the sides....added bonus is that has VT. plates on it

was spotted in PA.

No, i was going for somewhat more classy than that, and not an F/C, while it has its merits based on my experience with fire trucks, it would be much less comfortable for long distance travel. 

7 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Then you will be limited in being able to cross dips. Only real answer is to move bus axle back.

I am not thinking on a super long tongue or a very tall trailer and the back if a bus is pretty high, I could move the axle back, or sacrifice some length and shorten the bus, might not be all that bad anyway, it’s not a ton of weight, considering the tow vehicle, and once i am used to it perhaps it’ll be fine at the back anyway. 

23 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

was spotted in PA.

The plywood cost would send the whole project over any budget right now....sadly

23 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

was spotted in PA.

@MTO MARK - the cats out of the bag, the NEW EL GRANDE DEL GRANDE has been spotted!!!! We knew you were working on it heres the proof - DT466 power plant for sure 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

just put the receiver hitch on it and use a tow dolly, no need to back anything up. tow dolly is light enough to maneuver around with jeep or 4 runner 

34 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Yes. I have seen a hay trailer behind a long tandem axle hay truck set up that way

Mount the hit on the back like normal.

It will make it easier to get into tight spots. A friend hauls round hay with a long wheelbase truck and long trailer. It works great.

Put a mounted tow bar on the front of your jeep instead of pulling a trailer. It's alot better because you can unhook the jeep and lock up the tow bar. Then you have two single vehicles and no trailer.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Take a look at the original Pullrite hitch. It does pretty much what you want to do.

The key is that it eliminates the pivot at the ball, and moves it forward under the chassis of the vehicle. On a pickup truck it's practically over the rear axle so it tows much like a gooseneck.

https://www.pullrite.com/pullrite

The Original PullRite Hitch

Notice no hitch ball. The trailer is hitched rigidly to the drawbar on the truck.

Edit: Well, I guess there is a ball, but there are arms that chain to the tongue of the trailer to prevent pivoting:

PullRite underside drawing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would just mount the hitch on the back first and run it to see if there is an actual problem before getting too creative.  Our school district/football team had an enclosed trailer that was pulled behind a standard school bus.  We put thousands of miles on every year with that trailer behind.  I think you would be fine 99% of the time and the 1% of the time it might be annoying.

I guess my suggestion is confirm you have a problem before you re-invent the wheel.

21 minutes ago, MTO said:

Just leaves me scratching my head... again. 

5 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Find a Short Bus 

You might be able to find a 4x4 one there out there 

Put a hitch plate on it like you would on a dump truck 

I really expected something about the short bus from MTO .....

2 hours ago, MTO said:

Just leaves me scratching my head... again. 

Me too.................Road a school bus 2x a day for 12 years...............Last thing I would ever want to own to go somewhere would be a school bus!  Best thing for one of those is to chop the back off and haul hay on the farm, when the first thing major goes, get it going enough to run it nose first right into the shredder pile at the scrap yard!