Arts Way 500a

Cdfarabaugh

Looks like our 95 Gehl mixer is very close to breathing its last breath, so we are on the hunt for another unit. It sheared the stub shaft that drives the center mixing auger.  Prob gonna see if our machinist can make another one, but it's just prolonging the inevitable.  It's going to need a new mill belt, its last hammer flip new roller chains and sprockets and bevel gears for the unload......its time to leave.  Will likely work for someone grinding a load a month or so.  

As I think I discussed on here before mixers are 2 ways.....stupid expensive or pretty much junk like we have.  

It's not ideal by any means and we never really considered it but our neighbor has a somewhat low use Arts Way 500a.  Somewhat low use is that it never had a hammer flip yet, but wasnt really taken care of great either, its friggin filthy.  This thing is a big behemoth and set up for 1000 pto which is why we shied away.  Dont really care for the fact that it's not on board hydraulics.....needs to run off tractor.   On the plus side its close, and we can literally take a trial run and use it a few times.  We know what we are getting.  

It seems like arts way kept a similiar design through the years, anything to be wary of on this?  What would be a fair price?  I was thinking 6k max.....

I'm kinda tempted to back a potato box up to it full of ear corn, hook the 1566 up with a 5/8 screen and see what it has.......

The old Gehl 95's were a good grinder but the newer 100's up to the 170's are far superior. Their self contained hydraulic drives are almost trouble free.           Gehl offered the remote outlet drive also, and those are the only ones we ever had hydraulic motor problems with. Coupling and uncoupling the hoses introduces dirt and grit in the system and the drive motors don't handle that very well. Arts-Way had a decent mill other than the three bevel gear sets on the unloading auger ,i always looked those over pretty close before trading one in.

IMO the 1000 is a plus for me, but for the rest of the the 90% here in the east its a negative so that equals less $$$.................Agree on the bevel gears on the unload, its a PITA setup, although if you put all those bearings in right now while you got the other one yet, it shouldn't ever give a issue.  I had a 1150 for a long time, which was an Arts-Way 425 I believe.................It did its job.  Had a 357 NH with hydraulic drive after that, was the cadillac................Years later needed one again, bought a Gehl 65, talk about going backwards.  Now I got this MX120 Gehl which works pretty good, hydraulic drive.  I would prefer a NH but the tank height on the hydraulic drive models are too high for where I have to go in, so they are out.  

2 hours ago, from H to 80 said:

The old Gehl 95's were a good grinder but the newer 100's up to the 170's are far superior

We would kinda like a newer Gehl.  The newer ones by far have the best unloading system, motors right on the augers.  We almost pulled the trigger on another lower use 95 with hydraulic drives, but the jockey messed the mixer drive up running it with frozen crap in the bottom.  it's just a tradeoff of buying something you know that isnt blessed with parts support.  

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

IMO the 1000 is a plus for me, but for the rest of the the 90% here in the east its a negative so that equals less $$$.................Agree on the bevel gears on the unload, its a PITA setup, although if you put all those bearings in right now while you got the other one yet, it shouldn't ever give a issue.  I had a 1150 for a long time, which was an Arts-Way 425 I believe.................It did its job.  Had a 357 NH with hydraulic drive after that, was the cadillac................Years later needed one again, bought a Gehl 65, talk about going backwards.  Now I got this MX120 Gehl which works pretty good, hydraulic drive.  I would prefer a NH but the tank height on the hydraulic drive models are too high for where I have to go in, so they are out.  

Does Arts way support their older stuff much?  Not that it's a deal breaker (weve made lots of stuff for bv the gehl)  but it's kinda convenient. 

When Covid just started we looked at a nice 358 NH at an auction in Tyrone.  Would have been perfect for us and was a cadillac rig as you said.  Friggin thing went for 12 grand.  Even though it looked nice, it wasnt run for awhile and 12k on something you never saw turn a sprocket just doesnt sit well.  

Probably will clean this thing up and give it a good look over in the problem areas.  Feel lots of pressure to buy it, cause by the looks of it can search for a long time to find the "right" one.  

Well, if you want something new buy a Lorenz.................Can't be PA dutch when it comes to a nice grinder mixer if you aren't into buying one far away, which now with the prices of that out the roof that is out as well................... price out a new one the same capacity as that 358, that $12k looks like a give away.

I think H&S ended up with some of Gehl's mixer patents. I have never got up close with one but have seen them from a distance and the mill and loading system look familiar.

7 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

I think H&S ended up with some of Gehl's mixer patents. I have never got up close with one but have seen them from a distance and the mill and loading system look familiar.

I was told they look similar but changed things so alot won't swap????  If I needed one right now new, I would buy a Lorenz..........heck of a price for a new one IMO compared to all the rest that are double the cost.

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I was told they look similar but changed things so alot won't swap????  If I needed one right now new, I would buy a Lorenz..........heck of a price for a new one IMO compared to all the rest that are double the cost.

What gives with the cost difference on a Lorenz? One that would work looks about 20k which i think is  reasonable.  New arts way or H&S is almost or more than double.  

Just amazing how messed up both the new and used market is on these things 

I could have had one for $24k with everything I was after on it a few years back..............Granted they are smaller, but not an issue for me.  My wife told me to stuff that idea and buy a used one even for half that.  Ended up with the MX120 out of IA for not that much.............Still had paint on the augers, so it wasn't used much.  Either way I didn't think 24k was a bad price considering a A-W at the time was double that, granted they have those elf ones for close to the same price as the Lorenz, but have no drag auger, and the unload auger is a upright to dump into a barrel...............

5 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

The story I was told was that H&S tried to buy the rights to the grinder line when Gehl was getting out of farm equipment. For whatever reason they wouldn't sell it, so they bought a grinder somewhere and reversed engineered it. They put in enough differences so it wastes a exact copy for whatever reason. Don't know why they did that. 

TP, if it wasn't for you. I would have never heard of Lorenz. Never seen one in person and no one carries them in my part of the world as far as I know. 

30 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

The story I was told was that H&S tried to buy the rights to the grinder line when Gehl was getting out of farm equipment. For whatever reason they wouldn't sell it, so they bought a grinder somewhere and reversed engineered it. They put in enough differences so it wastes a exact copy for whatever reason. Don't know why they did that. 

TP, if it wasn't for you. I would have never heard of Lorenz. Never seen one in person and no one carries them in my part of the world as far as I know. 

Nobody does here either...........Honestly not much on a mill to go wrong that isn't common, and those can come over night if needed.  Nobody has Gehl parts either that aren't NOS:P  I put bearings, a shaft, built up and re-machined one of the bevel gears with a chipped tooth, and new flighting on one auger on mine this winter..........I did find a NOS shaft, but it was salty, made my own out of a piece of 4140 Turned, ground, and polished round stock.  Probably better than OEM which I would guess was either 1045 or heck maybe even 1018.  Didn't even waste my time looking for a bevel gear.  

10 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Nobody does here either...........Honestly not much on a mill to go wrong that isn't common, and those can come over night if needed.  Nobody has Gehl parts either that aren't NOS:P  I put bearings, a shaft, built up and re-machined one of the bevel gears with a chipped tooth, and new flighting on one auger on mine this winter..........I did find a NOS shaft, but it was salty, made my own out of a piece of 4140 Turned, ground, and polished round stock.  Probably better than OEM which I would guess was either 1045 or heck maybe even 1018.  Didn't even waste my time looking for a bevel gear.  

Same with Farmhand. 

Couple weeks ago ours stripped the coupler that mates the input shaft to the input shaft going into the gearbox that runs the vertical tank auger and on this antiquity the unload auger drive too. Dad calls around and cant comes up with one. I get on my phone and type up the dimensions of the coupler and found that 2 places had what I was looking for. Believe it or not Amazon had them for sale but it would take a week to get it. The other was Applied Industrial Technologies which handles Industrial stuff. ( I sometimes call it by it's old name Detroit Ball Bearing). Called them up since they do take walk ins. Do you have this part number? Didn't there but could get it next day which was faster than Amazon. Get it coming. Got it next day and ground the batch.

At same time there was a online auction that had a very nice New Holland 355. Thought about bidding on it until we saw what the bid was a day before closing. 9000 at that time. Sold for 13,750 plus this auction house tacks on a 10% buyers premium on top of the final price. So you're flirting with 15 Grand on a 30 plus year old grinder. 

Still irritated with Dad on the 358s at auction last fall. They were expensive enough but looked like a bargain compared to that one.

Archived