Mice in Storage

KWRB

Other than poison and dryer sheets, do you all have any tricks for discouraging mice? I'm going to move my fire truck to covered-but-not-mouse-proof storage soon. I would appreciate input.

Thanks!!

Why would ya wanna store mice??? Ohhh I gotcha. Big problem. I will be following this one.

15 minutes ago, KWRB said:

Other than poison and dryer sheets, do you all have any tricks for discouraging mice? I'm going to move my fire truck to covered-but-not-mouse-proof storage soon. I would appreciate input.

Thanks!!

I have used it but not really tested it. Grampa Gus rodent repellent. It sounds good but like I said I haven’t really put it to the test. 

I’ve been dealing with this problem for many decades. Nothing discourages then from my experience. 
you either mouse proof the shed or just sell everything before they destroy it. 
I know that’s a gloomy outlook but that’s been my experience. 
good luck. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IHRedDrive said:

We put mouse bait, small green biscuits by Tom Cat in our barn. They do the trick, kids/dogs can't be hurt by them. 

I do the same thing with their bait stations and little green "bales" of poison. Seems to work well enough.....

• Like 1

Take away any food they like to eat. Fresh Cab works good, cotton soaked with peppermint oil works good. Cleanliness is the most important. If there is nothing to eat they will move on. 

52 minutes ago, zleinenbach said:

Irish spring bar soap works in our camper

The packrats of Nebraska just chew Irish Spring up!! Made em really prosperous and had lots of babies. 
I hate rodents!!

• Like 2

I had a really bad field rat problem at the farm.  Tractor supply had some peanut butter flavored rat poison. Rats  ate it like I eat ice cream. Dead rats all over.

Not very humane but a pest is a pest. I just put it under the hood of the truck that they ate the wires and hoses off of, they liked the bait better than the rubber hoses.

That was back in 2010, todays bait is probably watered down with good intentions.

Years ago Cattech had a very good response on keeping mice out of machines. His response was to remove anything that is a good source. It was very good advice. That and poison. Mice and rats love peanut butter nothing better to use as bait in traps. I watched a rat trap online one day it was a barrel with about 5 gals of water in bottom. Top removed and a 2/4 mounted a bit over half across on a mid pivot. The idea was for rats to access 2/4 easily walk down to bait on end of 2/4 it flipped up and dumped rat into water. This was in a foreign country and they were capturing rats to eat 

Repel all you wish you gotta kill em. Set a bucket trap and empty periodically. I am up to maybe 100 since last fall in various buildings. Those 100 aren’t having 20 babies a piece every year and those 20 babies aren't having 20 more babies a piece. 
RV antifreeze keeps them from decomposing as fast and wont kill pets if they get into it

• Thanks 1

I use Fresh Cab and mothballs in a car that stays in the shed all winter. Seems to work. I always keep any food out but insulation on wires, hood liner and other materials all seem to look like food to mice!

When I put C4 away for the winter in the barn, I put about 4 packets of Fresh Cab inside the cab. Works well.

20210526_141754.jpg

And year around it's barn cats, the wilder the better.

670316020_barncats.thumb.jpg.23e99d5ed0885dfca801456396eec43c.jpg

Peppermint oil on cotton balls. Tomcat poison blocks. Not a single mouse in our campers/trucks/shed. Also encourage the neighbors big fat mousecatching cat to hang around by feeding him every now and again.  

Like others have mentioned, keeping the population under control is best. Tomcat works good if you can keep the trash panda's out of it! Also use cab-fresh, mothballs, and dryer sheets. Anything to be rid of those vermin. Dug a bullsnake out of the dirt today, (new pad for building), was more snake in the ground than out. Could have easily cut him in two if not careful. He slithered off, one crink in his back, seemed to work though. Much prefer snakes to mice!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

The packrats of Nebraska just chew Irish Spring up!! Made em really prosperous and had lots of babies. 
I hate rodents!!

So, I take it you haven't forgotten about the packrats..............................................

For those of you not familiar, this is what pack rats do. 

2127056494_packrats62.thumb.jpg.598a30cb22b7d80b13d8d955d5fd196c.jpg

This pic was taken early on before I went to war with them. Poison, traps, bullsnakes, fresh cab and finally brought home all the wild cats I could collect and dumped them in the barn. I feed them in the winter to keep them around. The rest of the year the cats are on their own to find their food. They are finally keeping the packrat population to near zero.?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mxmagnum said:

Fresh Cab repellant has worked excellent for myself and some others I know.

Fresh cab works as long as you replace it in its active time frame. After that its food. Had some in a Ford galaxie I had stored in one of the sheds. Forgot to swap it out after 3 months. The little b*******s ate everything but part of the wrapper.

I'm highly allergic to cats so I put snakes in my shop. I make sure people see me put them in my shop. I tell them it's for mice.

I still have a terrible mouse problem in my shop, the snakes leave, but people are afraid to go in my shop! It keeps the two legged varmints out!

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 3

If you have no children, pets, livestock, or visitors use aldicarb mixed with peanut butter. They only make it a few feet away from the poison.