Mfg of electric pick-up on hard times

oleman

Lordstown Motors said it was pulling back on production estimates for its Endurance electric pickup truck, after posting a $125 million loss for the first quarter.

The company said it would cut by at least half its 2021 production and would need to raise more capital. The company earlier project 2,200 electric pickup trucks would come off production lines this year.

“Capital may limit our ability to make as many vehicles as we would like,” Steve Burns, CEO, on a conference call.

In a prepared statement, Burns touted beta testing of the electric pickup trucks, scheduled to conclude by the end of June. He said 48 out of 57 beta vehicles have been built.

“We are incredibly satisfied with beta vehicle test results so far,” he said. “We recently passed two of the most difficult crash tests and, as such, believe we remain on track to deliver a 5-star rated vehicle. We were also pleased with the mechanical performance of our Endurance at the San Felipe 250 race in Baja, Mexico last month, despite challenges that arose in predicting energy usage in the Mexican desert.”  I TAKE THIS TO MEAN THE BATTERY PACK DID NOT MAKE THE TRIP!.

Source: Lordstown Motors

COULD BE, IF THEY WERE MORE WORRIED ABOUT ENGINEERING THAN PRODUCING A FUTURISTIC DERIVABLE DEVICE IT WOULD BE A BETTER SELLER TO INVESTORS AND THE MARKET PLACE. ALSO WONDER MANY OF OUR TAX DOLLARS ARE CURRENTLY IN THE DEVICE?

I've said it 100 times, once we learn how to effectively and efficiently produce or collect and store electricity, EVs will take over in the blink of an eye. But the tech just isn't there yet. And as long as the subsidies and tax credits are prevalent, it is going to be real hard to define between the serious players and those who are using smoke and mirrors to line their pockets.

• Like 1

that is OLD news they havent been paying the re tax and...   GM....

tesla knew the answers  GE/edison ,,SID and the other alphabits confiscated  buried it

I believe they were counting on the contract for the new postal EV delivery van.

The new administration gave the contract to Oshkosh and it's for a ICE delivery van not an EV that Oshkosh says can be converted to a EV.

Anything can be converted but at what cost? Just more money for Oshkosh.

Lordstown Motors was the front runner until new administration came in and gave it to Oshkosh  to reward Wisconsin for supporting them.

Lordstown Motors was punished because Ohio voted for the republican.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jeeper61 said:

Lordstown Motors was the front runner until new administration came in and gave it to Oshkosh  to reward Wisconsin for supporting them.

Lordstown Motors was punished because Ohio voted for the republican.  

I'm shocked!

16 hours ago, Cattech said:

I've said it 100 times, once we learn how to effectively and efficiently produce or collect and store electricity, EVs will take over in the blink of an eye. But the tech just isn't there yet. And as long as the subsidies and tax credits are prevalent, it is going to be real hard to define between the serious players and those who are using smoke and mirrors to line their pockets.

I agree with you.  EVs are inching closer, but just aren't there yet.  A friend of mine owns a Tesla model X. (just wait a minute and he'll bring it up in conversation for the hundredth time)  I drove it.  There was very little about its performance, ride, interior quality, appearance, and overall function that I found to be unsatisfactory.  It is quite nice and it goes like stink on a monkey.  But the Tesla doesn't work for my needs due to the range and charging times.  It works for 80% of my needs, but the remaining portion is a deal killer.  I can't justify the price of an EV even with all the incentives and credits for only 80% of my vehicle needs.  I'd rather jump through the hoops of licensing a Mahindra Roxor for the road if I wanted to splurge on a commuter.

I just read yesterday that Norway is fining Tesla $16,000/car sold in that country due to a reduction in charging speeds associated with a software update.  That isn't insignificant since that equals over 10,000 Tesla vehicles.  Norway is one of the world's largest EV markets with over 50% of vehicles sold being EVs.  I guess that Norway's drivers just don't cover the ground that North American drivers need to cover.

Hyundai's upcoming Ioniq 5 is getting closer to acceptable with better range (310 mi) and the reported ability to achieve 80% of full charge in less than 20 minutes.  The styling of an iconic Lancia Delta Integrale doesn't hurt its appeal in my book either.

The big boys are beginning to offer EVs and with their manufacturing infrastructure, engineering depth, and distribution channels, it will be difficult for Lordstown, Rivian, and Nikola to compete.  Partnerships, mergers, and niche markets will be required for survival.

"Not there yet" but neither was the gasoline distribution, storage, and handling infrastructure when the gasoline-powered automobile started showing up. If the proponents of what we now take for granted as a basic human right had listened to the horse people and said, "not there yet," we would still be riding around in horse-drawn wagons. They would still be waiting for the infrastructure to be in place.

Gas cars came first. Gas stations came second.

You need to create the demand for the infrastructure, some company or companies has to recognize the demand and determine if it is profitable, and only THEN will the infrastructure be created.

Electric cars come first. Electric charging infrastructure comes second.

• Thanks 1

Matt, I was referring to the EV vehicles themselves and the battery technology.  I feel that the EV charging infrastructure is pretty decent, all things considered.

A friend of mine knows a US Rep who sits on some House sub-committee.  Several years ago, this rep sat in on a briefing on the US electrical infrastructure.  The bottom line is that nearly all suburban housing developments do not have the electrical infrastructure underground to support EVs.  If the majority of the homes in a neighborhood made the switch to EVs, recharging times would be dramatically affected.  It sounds like upgrading that electric service is a hurdle not easily remedied.  That tends to point towards charging points not unlike current gas stations.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Electric cars come first. Electric charging infrastructure comes second.

8212818_early-electric-cars-history(2).thumb.jpg.0f6138d57f0ed9a8b992ddb1b7d4e2dc.jpg

Thomas Edison poses with his first electric car, the Edison Baker, and one of its batteries. 1895.

‐-‐‐‐---------‐‐---

Not trying to pick on anyone. Though light yrs better, current EVs have the same limitations as they did back then. What is really going to hurt today is the exotic and rare materials being used to produce them.

• Like 2

Yea.  I was gonna say don’t hold your breath waiting for the battery car revolution as it has been “the future” for over 100 years now.  There was even a time about 100 years ago that battery cars began to gain market share.  

Regarding infrastructure, the petroleum industry has had plenty of time to develop to accommodate petroleum powered cars.  The amount of generation capacity that needs to be added to accommodate the lofty goals of the EV nuts is going to cause problems. When I figured up roughly what it would take for electricity to replace all fuel used on the highways today it amounts to doubling of today’s electrical generation capacity, not to mention the grid improvements needed to handle it.  Given the prevailing political/social attitude I don’t see that happening.

10 hours ago, New Englander said:

I'm shocked!

Me too 

They could have at least made Oshkosh deliver an EV shows you how committed they are to the cause.

Aw but follow the money

They want you to by the EV now for your personal transportation 

Then they want you the tax payer to buy the new postal vans and then pay again latter to upgrade them.

It is all about shaken the money tree and then sharing it with your peeps

I'm no fool, I would never buy any Lords town motor stock. I would never do it ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- again.

Has anyone realized that the internal combustion engine and the automobile came about by the demand of the public thru a capitalistic economy and for the overwhelming majority the electric vehicle is a politically driven endeavor whose needs have not been matched by the technology? Let's see where all these EV are at when they hit 100k miles. I remember reading a GMAC article that at one time the Prius was the vehicle was the highest number of GMAC default loans because after the warranty ran out the battery would fail and the cost of a new battery was in most cases more than what the vehicle was worth and people were just letting them go back. I believe before rushing everything to market the government should make sure for one there is a demand, a legitimate one, and make sure the aging electrical grid and power stations can even supply this new demand on it. Washington DC often forgets that most Americans don't live in major metropolitan areas where a quick charging station may be at.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ArkLa 1086 said:

Let's see where all these EV are at when they hit 100k miles.

Wait till long term or secondary owners start replacing those $15,000 batteries.  

Unless that comes down drastically the value of a used EV is going to plummet as it get toward that time frame.  

Shucks, never mind powering an entire vehicle with a battery.  Can’t even find a battery that lasts decent just for starting my dino juice powered stuff.  Frustrating.