A reminder for Memorial Day.

oldtanker

Memorial day is about our service members who died in service of our country. While most veterans appreciate those who thank us for serving this upcoming day isn't about us and most of us don't want to take away from the recognition of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Please teach the youngsters in your family what Memorial Day is all about. 

Rick

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Memorial day is about our service members who died in service of our country. While most veterans appreciate those who thank us for serving this upcoming day isn't about us and most of us don't want to take away from the recognition of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. Please teach the youngsters in your family what Memorial Day is all about. 

Rick

Your right. I tend to think about anyone who served and is gone, but serving and not coming home is a lot different. 

• Like 2

I`m always glad doing the special prepping of our cemetery for Memorial Day.

My joy quickly disappears when all I see is a few old people ,some on walkers ,coming to flower graves.

Some of our younger population needs an a$$ kicking.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, MTO said:

I`m always glad doing the special prepping of our cemetery for Memorial Day.

My joy quickly disappears when all I see is a few old people ,some on walkers ,coming to flower graves.

Some of our younger population needs an a$$ kicking.

I have a semi abandoned cemetery next to my house. Town mows it once a year for Memorial Day. I try to get in there a few times after that each year to keep weeds down. For years I would see a grave with fresh flowers after town mowed it before Memorial Day. Veteran of 1812. One year about 10 years ago I finally caught the guy. I’m guessing he was late 50s early 60s. He said he does about 25-30 graves in our county of his ancestors who served. Makes me wish I was that dedicated!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Rick

OT, a while back you had a post explaining what the various holidays represented and who they honored. A very good post. Thank you for reminding us all what Memorial Day is about. 

857113894_soldiermemorialday.thumb.jpg.6f0957937d9eab10d0a7e28ad5ca8a38.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Oh boy....that is a heart breaker, Jeff

Far too many pictures like this Mike. 

They just take me out at the knees.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, sandhiller said:

I think we all need to take some time in quiet reflection.

412165062_soldierson.thumb.jpeg.97aaf9a2e324c4c1e651231b7bdf9f5d.jpeg

Boy that one made my eye balls sweat 

• Like 1

Yes sir, always make a point to attend memorial day remembrance in our small town with my young family, explain to my kids how we have our freedoms and what prices have been paid to keep them, always gets a somber and respectful attitude from my kids, they stand at attention through the entire ceremony or they get a kick in the ass!

• Like 3

On 5/26/2021 at 9:39 AM, oldtanker said:

Rick

Well stated Tanker.

And-----I might add teach the politicians the meaning also while we teach the children.

Way-------too many consider it just another holiday on the calendar.

??

DD

So, whatever happened to calling it Decoration Day anyhow? Still heard it termed that when I was a bit younger.

Mike