900 to 1000 series corn head upgrades

Either needle bearings in the front for stalk rolls(pita) or the water pump style, believe the spirals were slightly larger, paint scheme. I’m sure the gearboxes were updated by company long ago. I always thought the snought tin was better quality on my 963’s vs the 1063’s.

CaseIH offered 1000 series update kits to replace either the 900 series aluminum shaft/front bushing or the troublesome 1000 series needle bearings. A kit included two shafts with the water pump bearing and supports. A guy usually bought a set for his 900 when he broke one of the original aluminum shafts. I sold a lot more for the 1000 series. Those needle bearings were a joke. Although the bushing on the 800/900 would slowly get loose, they never went out like the needle bearings. 

If you install the new kits it is crucial you red Loctite the set screw in the bearing support or it WILL come loose. Also replace the square couplers while you are there. If you decide to just re-knife your head make sure you put the plastic strips between the knifes and the aluminum shafts. They are listed in a service bulletin. I had the part number written in my book at the dealership. Steel and aluminum are not friends.

I have always heard the needle bearings were problematic. I bought my 1063 new in 89 and they are all original. 5 or 6 sets of gathering chains, on 3rd set of knives and front sprockets. Still original rear sprockets and needle bearings. 3 middle snouts still metal but thin. Auger trough replaced. Grease hoses were replaced with zerks screwed into front supports long ago. No gearbox issues yet. Just don't get the needle bearing issues. Guess i'm just lucky

• Like 1

The needle bearing issue was not getting greased enough. Company said every 10 hours but they need it every four due to the dirt. Dad had one with them and he put an auto lube system on the head and would flip the switch every few hours to grease them. 

9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

The needle bearing issue was not getting greased enough. Company said every 10 hours but they need it every four due to the dirt. Dad had one with them and he put an auto lube system on the head and would flip the switch every few hours to grease them. 

The 4 vs 10 would have certainly helped. I sold a lot of needle bearings and supports. The front needle bearing had a tiny little rubber seal that was supposed to keep out dirt. I think had they machined the point to accept an accrual grease seal that to would have helped.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

I have always heard the needle bearings were problematic. I bought my 1063 new in 89 and they are all original. 5 or 6 sets of gathering chains, on 3rd set of knives and front sprockets. Still original rear sprockets and needle bearings. 3 middle snouts still metal but thin. Auger trough replaced. Grease hoses were replaced with zerks screwed into front supports long ago. No gearbox issues yet. Just don't get the needle bearing issues. Guess i'm just lucky

We had a worn out 1083. We changed a couple needle bearings but that thing just chugged along if you kept it greased. We had trouble worth rows plugging in damp corn. A deformed cob would fall into groove and stop corn from feeding back off stripper rolls.

• Like 1