89 Year Old Grandpa Planting Beans

IHRedRyan

My Uncles recently invested in a MX200 (roughly 20 years old but only 6000ish hours and has been well taken care of). 

Yesterday I helped my grandpa get up into the buddy seat for the first time to ride along for some soybean planting ... before i knew it my uncle had him behind the wheel!

Born in 1931, he helped his dad farm with horses until they bought their first tractors in the 40s. Needless to say he's seen a lot of change in his lifetime. 

I got some pretty good video... if anyone is interested in watching. Most of it is taken with my drone. Don't pay attention to the colour of the drill ... 

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

That is AWESOME with a capital A. And a big thumbs up. Thanks for posting!

• Like 6

Long ways from the farmall M of his younger days. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 3

absolutely priceless, so many good things that words cannot suffice - Hail to Bruce, a true hero to so many no matter which side of any border you live on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome.  Most all beans are drilled here same way.  Those Deere drills are still very popular here. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Long ways from the farmall M of his younger days. Thanks for sharing.

It sure is , one of the last jobs they still did with horses was cutting hay, then his dad bought a sickle bar mower in 52. They thought that was the cats meow. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

absolutely priceless, so many good things that words cannot suffice - Hail to Bruce, a true hero to so many no matter which side of any border you live on. 

Appreciate you saying that, I feel very lucky to get to spend time with him in these later years. He’s a prime example of a truly great generation. Lots of valuable advice ... and good stories from days gone by. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing.

I have some neighbors still farming in their 80s. One neighbor in his 80s runs his operation with an iron fist. His boys are in their 60s working for him. He still treats them like boys.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

enjoy your time with your grandpa, both my grandpas died when i was around 10 years old, sure wish i could have got to know them longer. i like talking to the older guys, listening to their stories. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, IHRedRyan said:

My Uncles recently invested in a MX200 (roughly 20 years old but only 6000ish hours and has been well taken care of). 

Yesterday I helped my grandpa get up into the buddy seat for the first time to ride along for some soybean planting ... before i knew it my uncle had him behind the wheel!

Born in 1931, he helped his dad farm with horses until they bought their first tractors in the 40s. Needless to say he's seen a lot of change in his lifetime. 

I got some pretty good video... if anyone is interested in watching. Most of it is taken with my drone. Don't pay attention to the colour of the drill ... 

My father is about 10 years younger and I think he has done 90% of the corn planting this year. Couple days ago I think he said him and my brother had 300 acres of each corn and beans left to go. Last year was rough when he was laid up with bad knee. Only thing that kept him sane was all the relatives that helped out. A cousin and couple nephews worked the ground around his house. They had outside help but the ‘home farm’ was all done by kin! That video might not be much but 10-20 years from now it’ll be priceless!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, FARMALL SUPER EH! said:

Great video nice to spend time with these old boys  they are a wealth of knowledge   what part of Ont you in?

Not far from Kitchener-Waterloo, I see you're a little south ! 

Great to see G Pa doing what he loves. Looks like he still has an eye for a straight row. Might tell him to sit up straight cause his guess row is off about 1.25"?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 806 man said:

Great to see G Pa doing what he loves. Looks like he still has an eye for a straight row. Might tell him to sit up straight cause his guess row is off about 1.25"?

Didnt your dad still walk fields in his late 80s and scout potatoes? 

13 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Didnt your dad still walk fields in his late 80s and scout potatoes? 

Not in his 80's , late 70's . Back in the day you could find his foot prints all over a field. About 2005-6 Dad was involved in starting a local bank so that took a lot of his time which slowed him down with the farming. 2010-15 was when I bought out his 95% of the farm only. Not the property company the 2 of us own. It was always a joke because he would grab somebody by the arm '' Come with me I want to show you XX??'' and start high stepping across the field. Even at 70 only a couple of guys could keep with him. No I'm not one of them. The most he weighed was 165lbs his entire life. I was just a tad bit more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1