Yamaha TW 200 motorcycle

MTO

Have always thought these were a unique bike.

Low center of gravity (I`m old and don`t want to fall too far), 4 stroke, fuel efficient,fat tires and road legal.

I have a 4wd quad and a golf cart but thought one of these with the rear carrier could be my back and forth ride. 

Anyone have one or ridden one?

Been making them since 1987

New are $4600 but looking used $2k-ish

Yamaha TW 200Yellow Tank Installed - Page 2 | Yamaha tw200, Custom bikes, Tw2002020 Yamaha TW200 Review - Cycle News

• Like 1

Several guys have had them in this area for run around vehicles. I would ride one off-road/backroads but have no desire to get on a paved road with a motorcycle based on the way the masses drive today. 

• Like 5

My cousin had one when we were teenagers.  It was great for tending irrigation sprinklers.  Decent flotation in soft ground, sufficient clearance to cross 8” irrigation pipe while balancing a sprinkler on your shoulder, and road legal to get to and from the field.

Not a high speed road bike, nor a long distance cruiser, but practical and utilitarian.

They are great bikes.  Easy to ride.  You can run it flat out and that little motor will just scream but not enough power to get you in trouble.  

Get a new enough one with electric start.

They don't have much suspension so rough off roading is not their strong suit.  Small enough to pick up if it falls over.

I use mine for a spray rig with a battery powered back pack set on the back.

Up to 55 mph is fine but it's all its got.......

20140416_115825.jpg

Not street legal but I like the big tired bikes for a run around. Mine is a 1987 Honda TR-200 or “Fat Cat”. Little guy rides on the tank and we cruise around sight seeing slowly. That was last summer. He will be too big for riding on the tank before long. I have been looking around a little bit at the Honda CRF300L since little guy told me the Fat Cat would be his soon and asked me what I would ride then? ?

7C39F334-F4A1-46D8-B0CA-872BD6DB57E6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Not street legal but I like the big tired bikes for a run around. Mine is a 1987 Honda TR-200 or “Fat Cat”. Little guy rides on the tank and we cruise around sight seeing slowly. That was last summer. He will be too big for riding on the tank before long. I have been looking around a little bit at the Honda CRF300L since little guy told me the Fat Cat would be his soon and asked me what I would ride then? ?

Where is his "patch "  ????  What about the "ink"' ,,,none of that yet  ??? :rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Where is his "patch "  ????  What about the "ink"' ,,,none of that yet  ??? :rolleyes:

Mike

He tried to get a tattoo of his favorite member of the “Paw Patrol” but he is so tough the needle broke on the tattoo gun. ?

(took after his mother)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Had one for years. Sold it. I've been trying to get another for a while now. Perfect "short trip" and "light trail" bike. Started using the xl250 after I sold the tw200 and it never felt right. The tw200's two foot low center made it better to putter around on looking for new fishing spots.

• Like 2

This be what you need, 2wd, low slung and poor resale value, so easily had modern for reasonable cost. Also room for hauling several dogs and a bale of hay for the horse https://www.imz-ural.com/c-t

6011D4F5-7193-4ED0-B8E8-CA1E554F5E67.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

My nephew has one and he used to ride fields with it , not sure if he uses it anymore , I can ask him if he would sell it . 
Danny 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Never seen one around here, but I like it!  I had a Kaw KE175 which was similar except no fat tires, and used it for years just as you describe. Even hauled my Homelite saw on the back a few times.

I had a KE175 as my first motorcycle as well, got it in 1979 and sold it around 1991.  The friend who bought it still has it and still rides it.

i used a 72 kawasaki 100cc 10 speed for YEARS, the hi/lo range was terrific but no wide tires, drove it over 25K miles when the speedo broke for teh 2nd time and never fixed it,  flat wore it out, got another one and drove it 15K miles and the speedo broke, kick starter finally broke and had to push start it, gave it to a kid when I was about 25 for his first bike, his dad was going to help him fix it up.

They had a bracket on the back perfect for strapping a milk crate on. I used it for fishing, running my traps, and getting to/from work at farmers before I had a license and my 1972 grand torino station wagon first car!!! Also had an early 70s Suzuki GT380 3cyl 2 stroke that i drove back/forth to work once i got my license. It was a rocket. 

• Like 1

If and when I find one, I will CERTAINLY remember (thanks to a fellow member) to always flip the kickstand up before riding. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MTO said:

If and when I find one, I will CERTAINLY remember (thanks to a fellow member) to always flip the kickstand up before riding. 

MAAAAAAARRRRRRRKKK!!!!

How could you tease him like that???

Would  pick on said member like that?

21 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

Get a new enough one with electric start.

Understood all were electric start and 87 to 2000 had kickstart also.

Dunno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTO said:

i was thinkign we could all chip in and get you a set of training wheels , make sure it fits in the del grande for road trips

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

i was thinkign we could all chip in and get you a set of training wheels , make sure it fits in the del grande for road trips

Or maybe a Go Fund Me page so I can buy a bike? 

Thanks for the idea Searcy!

I had a Honda XL250R on/off-road . It was geared way to high for any off-road riding, was scary pulling out in traffic that was way off yet even. Glad it's been gone for a while now

I have 28,500 miles plus on mine and have done nothing to it.  Never had the carb off. 

Very dependable.  Tiny battery I put a new one on every year or so........

Tires, sprocket, chain, a couple times now.  I suck at keeping the chain oiled.

I use it to jockey around with out having to use a trailer.

KIMG0483.JPG

8 minutes ago, bitty said:

I had a Honda XL250R on/off-road . It was geared way to high for any off-road riding, was scary pulling out in traffic that was way off yet even. Glad it's been gone for a while now

I've had several dual sports as they are my favorite type of bike.  Have a Suzuki DRZ400 now.  Great motor, very dependable.  It was so tall when I got it I put the largest dog bone drop kit offered on the rear.  In order to level it I put handlebar risers on it and dropped the front forks till they hit the handlebars.  I can now touch the ground.

My favorite bike was a 1985 XL600.  Nice seat height, smoooooooth power band, nice wide ratio transmission.  Factory dual carbs you had to have in synch.  Did not have the magic start button thou.....

I let my employee use it for a while as he couldn't manage his own transportation and he wore it out and I didn't have the heart to redo it.  It's in nomore land.

DSCF0013.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I have not forgotten that Honda got it's start on motorcycles in the USA with the trail 90. I had a Yamaha trail 100 2 stroke as my first Japanese bike.

The good old days!