Disc Bearings

I have a disc I would like to know the model of and get bearings for it (i suspect they are bad) it is 7 feet across when straight and discs are about 20 inches in diameter.

The spacer between the discs has PB 3058 stamped on it, and the bottom of the bearings has P 3120 stamped on it. 

I grease it before using it and until a little grease comes out the bearing. I use a full tube for all 4 bearings. This is why I suspect that the bearings are bad.

3187BE75-03D9-40DA-A4A2-4AEA57235FB2.jpeg

40D1D836-F0E8-4FC9-8CA3-02CF70302EE1.jpeg

8DE35741-CAA4-4A27-86B2-D0C831E2FEB2.jpeg

64AE9EE7-62B1-49A9-BED9-3200A995BF95.jpeg

5B2E6E83-320B-4690-8F93-6F3658D54443.jpeg

C905648B-51B4-4DD8-AB15-8BFA8990820E.jpeg

I have kind of looked at different sites, I guess I am not quite sure what I have to know what to look for. Is it a bearing similar to a main or rod bearing or something totally different.  I have not had it apart yet.

Someone else might know more about it but it looks like it was wood bushings 

• Like 2

Most disc bearings I am familiar with have a square hole for the shaft, and fit in some kind of holder. But, I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. There are so many different ones I think you will have to take it apart to be able to match something up. If the discs turn freely and aren't obviously loose and wobbling around, I'd just keep it greased and use it, if it were mine.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Brad Bauer said:

I have kind of looked at different sites, I guess I am not quite sure what I have to know what to look for. Is it a bearing similar to a main or rod bearing or something totally different.  I have not had it apart yet.

I think you're on the right track. I have a slightly more modern Ford disc that has a similar type set up, and yes, they look like rod or main bearings. I have never tried to source parts for mine, as I just plow the garden about 6 passes twice a year - I just grease the hooey out of it before I use it.

Can't help with the model. Don't know what model mine is. Bearing is cast on cast. Spool has a couple of ribs that ride in grooves in housings. I just put eight pumps in each bearing each time I use it. I've used it this way for 43 years.

A bit of farmer cut and fit you could put any half spool bear arrangement you want in it. But if it ant broke don't be fixing it. Grease is real cheap compared to any new parts you can buy.

• Like 2

Those are old IH part numbers. Just keep the grease in them, and they will be around when you are gone. They are cast. If the day comes you smash one on a rock, just replace that part. It is a 3 part bearing,, top, bottom, and the center.

The caps would resemble the pic below and the center piece should be square on the inside to slide over the gang axle with male ribs to mate with the female grooves in the caps

cast bearing.jpg

3 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

The caps would resemble the pic below and the center piece should be square on the inside to slide over the gang axle with male ribs to mate with the female grooves in the caps

cast bearing.jpg

Great pic. That is cool. I’ve seen them.....in oldtimer’s gardens, but never knew what was in there. And I’ve asked a few of the oldtimer owners too.....most recently one gentleman told me he has had his for 50 years, that they were used when he got them, and he’s never taken them apart.

No just a grease reliant wear point. Give it plenty of grease and if it is going to set I would grease before parking it.

As for the model no real idea somewhere there is a where used list for IH part numbers with those spool numbers you had you might narrow it down.

This is what I found using your part number. The following is from a parts web site http://www.ihpartsandequipment.com/implement-parts/disk/?items_per_page=96

NOS fits some #37 used with PC3119  Bearing 1955 - 1961

P3120.jpg

PC3119.jpg

Thanks Junk and cattle

I am trying a couple of historical societys as well on the model. When I look up a model 37 disc for parts the adjustment for angle is different.
Mine is a sawtooth bar that when lifted and pulled will increase the cut, and when you back up it will straighten out

Brad