1456 jumping out of high range

Wilmo

Probably need to remove range cover and repair, maybe broken detent spring. You can also update the park at this time. Make sure all external linkage is good under the dash

18 hours ago, mrfred54 said:

Probably need to remove range cover and repair, maybe broken detent spring. You can also update the park at this time. Make sure all external linkage is good under the dash

Out of curiosity, what’s the park up-date? 

Internal down pressure spring and solid rod vs adjustment rod. When it locks down it stays locked down. Even if it catches a tooth and tractor rolls a bit it will snap down and its parked. No adjustments needed. One spring is heavy to pull up other is lighter. 

20201117_150734.jpg

• Thanks 1

The only thing we have seen around here with the spring loaded park is they are quicker to knock a reverse tooth off it seems because of how they drop. When that tooth came off versus when the update was installed is hard to measure but that seems to be the general pattern that those with it more often have teeth off than those that don't, because the adjustment rod will bend. We have both of them at home and I don't prefer one over the other, but there aren't many monkeys running my tractors to mess them up either. 

As far as popping out of high range, I just replaced the shift fork and collar on an 856 that would not stay in. Good detents, made certain it was getting full travel, (above and below the cover) but it took the collar to finally take care of the problem. The old one had some wear but was not what I would have called ground to bits.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend trying one of those park update kits on a tractor that has one before you install one. If they have the strong spring they come out of park hard. Not a big deal if you don't mind a hard tug on the lever to get it out of park. We have one and I hated it at first.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

The only thing we have seen around here with the spring loaded park is they are quicker to knock a reverse tooth off it seems because of how they drop. When that tooth came off versus when the update was installed is hard to measure but that seems to be the general pattern that those with it more often have teeth off than those that don't, because the adjustment rod will bend. We have both of them at home and I don't prefer one over the other, but there aren't many monkeys running my tractors to mess them up either. 

As far as popping out of high range, I just replaced the shift fork and collar on an 856 that would not stay in. Good detents, made certain it was getting full travel, (above and below the cover) but it took the collar to finally take care of the problem. The old one had some wear but was not what I would have called ground to bits.

Saw plenty of park teeth knocked off long before the 86 series tractors came out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

For those of us that have pick up trucks with two pedals, would you put your truck in the park while it was still moving? No. Treat your tractor the same way, and the reverse gear is not an issue.

Exactly.  I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand.  But then here you're trying to explain that to people that forget their tractor needs oil because their horse doesn't...

• Haha 2

The picture of the range cover shows the pin is still in the upper hole of the shaft with the spring on it. The upper pin is to be removed to allow the  linkage to drop allowing the arm to drop into the teeth when they are aligned.  

I had to put range cover, detent kit and shift fork in the last 856 I bought, made it like new again.  Also put in the new style park lock, there are two different versions of the spring, one is much easier to pull out of park.  I have both and the lighter one always holds fine.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:29 PM, Super A_sepa said:

My 706 was the same when I bought it. YThe detents didn't help at all and needed the collar replaced.