Hydro 186 ac locked up

tw77

I have a hydro 186 with a York compressor that broke the ac compressor belt. I put a new belt on and ran it but the clutch wouldn’t kick it. I checked the wire and it is getting power to the compressor clutch. I took the clutch off and tried to turn the compressor shaft but it will only turn about 3/4 of a turn either way and it seems like it catches hard either way. It will not turn past that point where it catches. Does anybody have an opinion on rebuilding or working on the compressor? It is only 3 or 4 years old. (thinking of fixing for a spare)

I use this tractor to bale hay so I need it fixed yesterday. I ordered a new compressor and clutch. My main question is can I use the service valves to shut off the system and replace the compressor without losing all my refrigerant? Like I said, the system was redone about 4 years ago and doesn’t have leaks. Just a faulty compressor I believe. 

Probably broke a rod.

If you can isolate the compressor from the system you can swap in a new compressor. I doubt you got in contamination into the system from a rod braking. Had same issue on 3388 last fall and replaced compressor over the winter. Was the original compressor to the tractor believe it or not. Anyway I did flush the system and found nothing in it. I do not recall service ports that shut off on that tractor. 

I have done what you are asking a couple of times and when I did I would open one service port and let it blow out the other to purge the compressor and than top off Freon. Never had any issues. Just make sure to check oil in compressor before installing.

As far as rebuilding, probably just as well to get another compressor.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

Probably broke a rod.

If you can isolate the compressor from the system you can swap in a new compressor. I doubt you got in contamination into the system from a rod braking. Had same issue on 3388 last fall and replaced compressor over the winter. Was the original compressor to the tractor believe it or not. Anyway I did flush the system and found nothing in it. I do not recall service ports that shut off on that tractor. 

I have done what you are asking a couple of times and when I did I would open one service port and let it blow out the other to purge the compressor and than top off Freon. Never had any issues. Just make sure to check oil in compressor before installing.

As far as rebuilding, probably just as well to get another compressor.

You still see some of those York compressor that are original. They were supposed to be no good new  but I can’t say anything bad about them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The York compressors are known for leaky shaft seals.

Yup, replaced everything on one of mine years back except the compressor, which was still in great shape..............shaft is finally leaking, probably will be thrown in the jing weeds next year and updated.  Cut hay with it the other day and it was nice and cold after I filled it, over the winter it leaks and by spring the pressure is low enough that the clutch won't engage.  My brother told me a real man would just take the doors off..............I told him to eat $h*t

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The York compressors are known for leaky shaft seals.

Seen my share on Sandens that get an annoying shaft seal leak in my day too, usually tricky buggers to catch too.  If I get a system that passes a nitrogen test, but just wont quite pull a good vacuum, 98% of the time the shaft seal is a good bet. 

Yorks are good compressors but just outdated in my opinion.  For yorks or GM A6's (good bombproof unit as well) I usually retrofit to a sanden.  Less HP to run, and moves PAG oil through the system, which in my opinion is the key to preventing super small leaks.  

11 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Seen my share on Sandens that get an annoying shaft seal leak in my day too, usually tricky buggers to catch too.  If I get a system that passes a nitrogen test, but just wont quite pull a good vacuum, 98% of the time the shaft seal is a good bet. 

Yorks are good compressors but just outdated in my opinion.  For yorks or GM A6's (good bombproof unit as well) I usually retrofit to a sanden.  Less HP to run, and moves PAG oil through the system, which in my opinion is the key to preventing super small leaks.  

^^^ What he said is pretty much right on. 

We have much better luck with the Sanden compressors on R134a retrofit jobs. AP Air has the best fitting adapters to mount the Sanden where the York was and, most important, with AP Air you can specify actual Sanden and not worry about getting a knockoff lookalike unit instead.. 

2 hours ago, Maynard said:

^^^ What he said is pretty much right on. 

We have much better luck with the Sanden compressors on R134a retrofit jobs. AP Air has the best fitting adapters to mount the Sanden where the York was and, most important, with AP Air you can specify actual Sanden and not worry about getting a knockoff lookalike unit instead.. 

They claim the knockoffs they sell are pretty good, but usually it's only about $100 difference give or take.  Everybody opts for the better compressor.  

I know I'll never EVER buy knockoffs from Napa again.  Guy here has a fleet of 2nd gen dodges for sweet corn.  Wants AC in them as cheap as possible as they only run for 2 months.  Went through enough of those sanden knockoffs breaking discharge reeds that I said no more.