Work boots

brewcrew

My current work boots are on the backside of their useable life, and I’m looking for new ones. I have typically worn the cheapest thing I can get from farm and fleet, and they last a year to a year and a half. I’m in a position to spend more if I can get a better shoe, but I don’t want to spend more just to brag about the brand. My current boots are Cat, only because I couldn’t find cheaper boots in my size that day. They are made in China, but have been a decent boot. I’d like to go American made, but I’m more concerned with getting good quality. Give me some suggestions please! 

CB37BAC1-66A1-4623-BCFE-C6BC09F64ED5.jpeg

budget? what kind of work/comfort/steel toe required? 

some of the guys here spend 300 to 400 for a pair, i can tell you from those style i could never last in them, im older, my feet are worn out adn i need so much support to keep my feet/legs from aching i would be crying in a day or two wearing those I cant wear boots anymore, outside of church or special events, my days of working in wellingtons are gone 

For work boots I go with what's comfy and fits the type of boot I want.  Wear them out and get new ones.

If it's a hunting boot or casual boot that may be around for a long long time, then a quality purchase makes sense.

For occasional boot, like snow boots in Missouri,  that will rot in the closet, then cheapo works good.

I’ve been having good luck with these.  I never get more than a year out of the nicest boots. These aren’t as high as some I’ve tried but are USA made, light weight, and comfortable.

https://www.thorogoodusa.com/american-heritage-6-crazyhorse-safety-toe-moc-toe-maxwear-90-804-4375/

Timberland Pro Pitboss 6" steel toe.....1 to 1.5 years per pair......

I recently bought a set of JK Custom Boots from a family run shop in Spokane.  They primarily build logger boots, but can make pretty much anything in a work boot.

They are custom fit using tracings and measurements you send in by email.  I can say that the fit is unreal compared to every other shoe/boot I have ever worn.  It was about a 6wk lead time and $550USD (don’t convert that into $CAD!).  They are rebuildable, so there is a legitimate argument in terms of long term cost of ownership vs something like a RedWing or Thorogood.

I hike in these boots often and 8miles is not problem at all.  I plan on getting a second pair in the next year, so I can alternate them. 

449A444D-4041-4ECA-A1D7-20C4A4B4CDE5.jpeg

• Like 4

I wear an all leather backpacking boot, I have Asolo, and I have also got a pair of Zamberlan both are Italian, I have tried different styles of work boots, last year I bought a set of red wings that were made in USA... the were so horrible, I wore them around the house for a bit on several different days and ended up sending them back. my feet and knees cannot stand logger boots. the backpacking boots ( pick your brand, there are many) are made for extra weight and rough terrain. if you don't need steel toe ( looks like you don't based on your pictures) I highly recommend them. they are lightweight compared to a traditional work boot and I find them just as durable. I get 3-4 years out of a pair by rotating boots. 2 ish years if I don't. a good set Will run you 3-400 bucks. IMO it is worth it. my boots are as comfortable at 6:30am when I put them on as they are at 10:30 at night when I take them off. 

left to right, Asolo Fugitive GTX 3 years old, Zamberlan ( I can't remember the model) about 1.5 years old, Asolo 520 TPS 3-3.5 years old, all with goretex

also my custom insoles are a lifesaver. 

A1BC95C8-BFBF-447D-ACFF-E0765E2D49B1.jpeg

5E51ACBE-03DB-4120-97E2-298DE0E5ACB0.jpeg

E8F3FEF0-2E8F-45FD-A641-68A9B54EAD2F.jpeg

8C11860C-EAD1-4D13-A720-236E7C991480.jpeg

144E313E-C86B-4575-A3DD-43B3B84B60CA.jpeg

Danner USA models.  About 3 years on cement and manure.  Dry and good wt.  SuperFeet blue(color designates your arch type) insoles....worth every overpriced cent imho.  I've had keen hiker types.  Light and comfy but manure dries them and split.  We stopped with Keen brand.  They are $ behind big push in remote OR to make most of the SE of the state in a federal park/monument kicking the mulro generational ranchers off.  For hiking, which no one does there fyi.  Nore needs to be protected since no one lives there a d these counties need the tax $.  Making it a park screws them badly.  Pretty evil what PR they will goto to sell shoes imho.   Danners are fixable but i dont know who can do it locally.  Suppose i can send them back to Portland and Danner does offer that.  But a still ongoing weekend protest may confiscate them.

I wear redwings. They are around $200 a pair. It seems expensive but I figure I spend at least half my life in work boots, so I might as well splurge for decent ones. I can usually get at least two years out of them pretty easy, and I typically add an insole after about a year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Letting your inner crazy show??!!  ?

?I didn’t get a choice on pattern 

Good luck with Red Wings here, I get about two years of every day wear out of a pair. I haven't bought the USA made ones (too much $) that can be resoled so I can't speak for those. My most recent pair has been Thoroughgoods, but with all this rain I've been stuck in the office so I can't speak much for them yet.

I’ve been buying Danner ever since my brother gave me a pair. They’re military boots, I’m mainly on concrete all day, these are lightweight and comfortable. I have some that are probably fifteen years old that I wear around the farm and into the swamp when need be! They have sales a couple times a year that helps on prices.1D56B6D4-3880-41CB-9B3C-01C847908F3F.thumb.jpeg.9da30aefe202b6d5f2b2c0c660174677.jpeg170A777D-90F2-4A1F-A692-77B72006F469.thumb.jpeg.a1acc64f8116772649075e3603965503.jpeg7BDD4E69-2B25-4E59-B6AE-EACB208D998A.thumb.jpeg.64d8f39e29eb1d09634fe57faf3b618c.jpeg

• Like 2

So far I like my redwings after having imports................My next ones will be their Mock toe versions, seen some guys on youtube doing cut aways and they look awesome inside.  I will take my current ones and put my rubber overshoes on them for chore boots.  I seem to get better luck out of just having another pair and leave the rubber overshoes on than to take them on and off.

Ariats. I like the look of these.

https://www.ariat.com/RIGTK_8_SQ_TOE_CT_M_FOO.html?dwvar_RIGTK__8__SQ__TOE__CT__M__FOO_color=OILED_BROWN

I got these at goodwill for $6 brand new a couple years ago and they just became official work boots.

https://www.ariat.com/SIERRA_SQ_TOE_ST_M_FOO.html?dwvar_SIERRA__SQ__TOE__ST__M__FOO_color=DARK_BROWN

All my friends in ag wear Ariats

On 5/25/2021 at 5:23 AM, TroyDairy said:

Danner USA models.  About 3 years on cement and manure.  Dry and good wt.  SuperFeet blue(color designates your arch type) insoles....worth every overpriced cent imho.  I've had keen hiker types.  Light and comfy but manure dries them and split.  We stopped with Keen brand.  They are $ behind big push in remote OR to make most of the SE of the state in a federal park/monument kicking the mulro generational ranchers off.  For hiking, which no one does there fyi.  Nore needs to be protected since no one lives there a d these counties need the tax $.  Making it a park screws them badly.  Pretty evil what PR they will goto to sell shoes imho.   Danners are fixable but i dont know who can do it locally.  Suppose i can send them back to Portland and Danner does offer that.  But a still ongoing weekend protest may confiscate them.

I have bought and worn Danner Boots for years.  I could pick them up off Fleabay for $30-60 a pair for the style I wanted (Hiking boot).  They were a very comfortable wearing Boot.

6 minutes ago, bigequip said:

I have bought and worn Danner Boots for years.  I could pick them up off Fleabay for $30-60 a pair for the style I wanted (Hiking boot).  They were a very comfortable wearing Boot.