Nasty Milk

I posted a while back that a local dairy that supplied milk to almost all the stores in the area closed, well since then it has been Crowley, based out of Massachusetts I believe. I first noticed it at the local store, got a cup of coffee, I usually just use milk. First sip was a little off and the next was worse, by about the 6th it was foul. If i used the half&half it isn’t Crowley and no problem. I figured it was just some bad milk, but the same thing happens at home. Of interesting note the expiration dates on the Thomas milk (the one that closed) were always out there a ways, with this Crowley its hard to get milk that is more than a few days from the exp date. 
in any event, where i am

go with this, does the pasteurization process work differently depending on where its done? Is it common for milk to sour in coffee within minutes (the hotter the coffee the faster it happens) ? Have I just gotten used to some really good milk or is this stuff just substandard? 

i will also add that i am not a big milk drinker, just in coffee or the occasional bowl of cereal, so I never gave it much thought.  

has been failing for 10 yrs> the bean counters and blues

ONLY consume < 1g wk now ,peroxide plastic only makes it worse. when we could $$ go on vacation I had local brand delivered or none at all.

use to be full service stores on ALL the farms and regional door/door daily delivery.

It is a 6 th generation dairy family the "3 processing " plants are now contained with in the city limit.

they had 4 K ac and raised milk right, now under 350 ac and 2 factory lots,buy most from coops within 100 miles.

they were forced to buy out the other "junk,since the 60's "producers . now there are only a hand full of retailers carry the brand.and they generate $$$ from "other" liquids.

We farm 80 ac that is the last holding they have "local" , had it out with the "6th" over POOR quality products and "his" no work ethic.

expects $300 hr for pushing pencils and needs,the alfafa/corn fields to "ride" off the stress

Pasteurization is a heating and cooling process, and I think there are two basics methods of it.  One it to heat to a less high temperature but for a longer period of time, the other is to heat to a higher temperature but for a short length of time.  I think the latter is called “flash pasteurization”.

My guess is the milk you put in your coffee was bad to begin with. 

I don’t know anything about Crowley’s source for milk, with that being said, if you’re not happy with the taste of their products, find another source. There are a few great milk products still, personally Monument Farms is one of them. You will notice a difference.

Thomas was great, I was sad to see them close down. At the time the local rumors were that MF was going to assume Thomas’ distribution, apparently not?  
Does anyone carry MacNamara Dairy out of Plainfield NH? Great milk!

7 hours ago, Gearclash said:

Pasteurization is a heating and cooling process, and I think there are two basics methods of it.  One it to heat to a less high temperature but for a longer period of time, the other is to heat to a higher temperature but for a short length of time.  I think the latter is called “flash pasteurization”.

My guess is the milk you put in your coffee was bad to begin with. 

I thought so the first few times, but its a recurring problem. The local store doesn’t offer milk, only cream because of it. 

35 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

I don’t know anything about Crowley’s source for milk, with that being said, if you’re not happy with the taste of their products, find another source. There are a few great milk products still, personally Monument Farms is one of them. You will notice a difference.

Thomas was great, I was sad to see them close down. At the time the local rumors were that MF was going to assume Thomas’ distribution, apparently not?  
Does anyone carry MacNamara Dairy out of Plainfield NH? Great milk!

Monument is just dandy, something about distribution south of Wallingford, Danby/mount tabor gets lumped in with Bennington county, where i actually live, and my wife works farther south. Every store I know has gone to Crowley. Some connection with Hood in there. 

44 minutes ago, kevinj said:

Maybe ya need better coffee so ya can have it straight up!!!?

Its ok black, I've gone back and forth.. still like a splash of milk. Been getting Victor Allen (i use a keurig) it’s actually pretty good and 28 bucks or so for 120 K cups since i fill my travel mug once at home in the morning and its a 12 oz mug, the wife doesn’t drink coffee. , so it is pretty economical. 

7 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

I thought so the first few times, but its a recurring problem. The local store doesn’t offer milk, only cream because of it. 

Monument is just dandy, something about distribution south of Wallingford, Danby/mount tabor gets lumped in with Bennington county, where i actually live, and my wife works farther south. Every store I know has gone to Crowley. Some connection with Hood in there. 

Its ok black, I've gone back and forth.. still like a splash of milk. Been getting Victor Allen (i use a keurig) it’s actually pretty good and 28 bucks or so for 120 K cups since i fill my travel mug once at home in the morning and its a 12 oz mug, the wife doesn’t drink coffee. , so it is pretty economical. 

Black with sugar. Prefer coffee with cream, half and half is good, real cream that you scoop off the top of raw milk is the best!
Victor Allen coffee??

8 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

still like a splash of milk.

You could always cut out the middle man?

974295785_cowgirlmilk.jpg.9580587b23de34a8bab09f70c1d8eb38.jpg

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Ihfan4life said:

Black with sugar. Prefer coffee with cream, half and half is good, real cream that you scoop off the top of raw milk is the best!
Victor Allen coffee??

6610869D-5EC2-4577-B6C2-EE96F0F4AAAE.jpeg

F37BC7C5-C991-4777-B511-EC0A3CD52364.jpeg

• Like 1

100% Colombian

Coffea arabica, also known as the Arabian coffee, "coffee shrub of Arabia", "mountain coffee" or "arabica coffee", is a species of Coffea. It is believed to be the first species of coffee to be cultivated, and is the dominant cultivar, representing about 60% of global production. Coffee produced from the robusta bean makes up most of the remaining coffee production. Arabica coffee originates from Ethiopia and was first cultivated in Yemen, and documented by the 12th century. Coffea arabica is called ‏بُنّ‎ in Arabic, borrowed from the Oromo "Buna".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Son in law worked at Walmart in his youth - said when it was time to clean the coolers, they just set everything out till they were done, then put it back in.

Maybe the milk in question here got mishandled somewhere along the line.

1 hour ago, sandhiller said:

You could always cut out the middle man?

974295785_cowgirlmilk.jpg.9580587b23de34a8bab09f70c1d8eb38.jpg

The last time that Sid was over I bottled some milk for him straight off of the bulk tank, but I know that I certainly do NOT look like that!!!

And the chances of finding a milking maiden looking like that around here are slim.......

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

The last time that Sid was over I bottled some milk for him straight off of the bulk tank, but I know that I certainly do NOT look like that!!!

And the chances of finding a milking maiden looking like that around here are slim.......

no, no, you certainly don't look like that.... and I am glad you don't. Enough of my friends have decided to become women, I think I have met my quota. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

Enough of my friends have decided to become women

Funny story.

We have a strange little man in Cody. Went from Franz to Jenny.

One day my youngest was riding with his boss down the highway and up ahead could see a girl jogging down the Cowboy Trail (the old train right of way). 

As they got closer they noticed the shorty shorts and tube top and pig tails swinging and were making jokes about how scantily clad she was. Boss telling Chance he better lock her in for a date this weekend.

They were wondering who she was about the time they caught up and looked back to see "OH MY GAWD it's FRANZ"???

16 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

And that milk was GREAT ? ??

and IF there was a milk maiden there, I’d be over there daily!?

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

Nor mine... maybe Seth is just too damn charming...?

Did i not send you the pictures?? 

4 hours ago, acem said:

None of my friends have decided to become women. 

Hard to narrow the weirdos out when you grow up with someone.. nowadays i look at odd behavior with more scrutiny.