The "Noble" art of final drive removal.....with a 'bang'

..the Station's 21 ton Hyundai, now has 8000 plus hrs on the meter.....and a recent service 'uncovered ' an issue with one final drive.... The Rainbow Station Farm owns two Excavators....this one was ''pre-owned''......and physically in excellent condition...but after delving into the final drive....I asked some questions of the franchise dealer, from whom the Station brought their two Hyundai Excavators..... After some usual platitudes and pleasantries.....the dealer admitted the machine had  "done a few hours at the Blenheim    Salt Works"

This explained why a 3/4 inch drive rattle gun  (battery powered, but  not a Milwaukee..)...just chattered  uselessly on the 15/16th head size studs    x30...thus it  was  power bar and five feet of pipe to remove them......then the fun began......Usually it is a relatively simple task....albeit  heavy and awkward to remove a final drive.....This one defied all attempts to push it out ....burst porta- power hoses  etc....So some good old hillbilly    ingenuity   was called for.....

Three wraps of cordex were put around the inner radius, behind the track motor , pushed hard up  against the chassis housing.....The repaired 10 ton Porta-Power  was placed and we had put the sprocket back on to ''bridle '' a HT chain out on to the Johnny D...pulled enough tension on the chain to shift the excavator an inch or so...pumped up the porta -power then the fuse was duly   set alight.......

Unfortunately ....because the Station Horses were interested  in the whole proceedure....I chose to move them well away before the big bang...thus no picture of that epic moment..Good Station horse are worth big dollars....Untamped /un covered cordex  makes a helluva bang.....didn't want to see stampeding horse hung up in fence's.......

The shock of the cordex   going off just shiftedthe whole shebang out about 1/4 inch...but we were then on the move  !!   almost    a ''Yee  Ha" moment....:rolleyes:

Pics...first one setting the  the diameter of the three wraps and taping together for ''insertion''  (on the new final drive ass..)pushing the wraps in...the match......success !!.....close up  of the rust  almost like electrolysis in a cylinder liner..(.this after extensive clean up)...some of the horses  in question.... Fun job....

Mike

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1367.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

And you got to play with some ? old school

No horses were harmed another bonus

• Like 2

Holy Moly Mike ,    I will have to remember that helpful trick !!!

I did not see the track in the pictures ?   Did you have to retrieve it

• Like 1

tied many a stick together working on a pipeline blasting trench

many moons ago

It was dusty behind those big ole pneumatic rock drills, scorching hot in the middle summer down in the trench, and rank with Arkansas turkey barn stench

I bet that would scare a cat off a porch............

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

(Whats cordex exactly?  Blows up a little?)

Prima cord, det cord, it is like a high speed fuse that explodes, blows up a lot. 

Mike, seems like people who work away from civilization find ways to get the job done. 

Unorthadox maybe but very effective. Nice work!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have thought about blowing up something that I was working on many times before, never followed through though. Glad you didn't use too much 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, sandhiller said:

Prima cord, det cord, it is like a high speed fuse that explodes, blows up a lot. 

Mike, seems like people who work away from civilization find ways to get the job done. 

Unorthadox maybe but very effective. Nice work!

Why you can refer to AOC as "Occasional Cordtex"

• Haha 1

I have to ask how those down under have access to such delightful tools!!  Back in my military days with the combat engineers we played with similar tools of the trade, but possession  today is highly discouraged.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wild one said:

I have to ask how those down under have access to such delightful tools!!  Back in my military days with the combat engineers we played with similar tools of the trade, but possession  today is highly discouraged.

I have been around for a day or two...worked with a lot  of different blokes.......and its the old story.....""Not what...but who you know "".....:)

..thus I am good mates with a  retired quarry  manager...another old bloke..who found the thought of helping out with his particular skill set , was very appealing......

...yes...to get an explosive ticket here in NZ...is a mission....and without that piece of paper.....there is no way one can get explosives......unless you are in the Mongrel Mob..or some equally anti-social bunch of rectal orifice's........

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Holy Moly Mike ,    I will have to remember that helpful trick !!!

I did not see the track in the pictures ?   Did you have to retrieve it

No..the chains are original ...so have long lost that first flush of youth.......just removed the grease nipple and attendant fitting to release the tension...then just 'shrugged'' the track off, on site.....

..after cleaning up the chassis ''mateing face''...with emery paper then power driven , brush thing   .....you could see the pitting there...just incredible how that salt got into a surface with absolutely zero tolerance...and chewed out 'pit holes''  several thou   deep.... Its all  back together tonight.....except I wish to continue the battle with the ''Boss"  re two new sprockets....thus no sprocket on .......yet   !!

Mike

20 hours ago, MTO said:

Perseverance paid off Mike!

Well   Mark....I had hoped somebody may have noticed  that little play on words....in respect of the word"Noble"...however  ..(.this in memory of the "founder' of modern day explosive's...)...I incorrectly spelt  "Alfred Nobel's  "name........:blush: .and thus negated any snappy comeback  from astute minds......as there are many  on this forum.....

..in respect of the Final Drive  job..... sometimes  by thinking ''out side the square""...there is  another option...

Mike

2 hours ago, mike newman said:

Well   Mark....I had hoped somebody may have noticed  that little play on words....in respect of the word"Noble"...

Mike

I was about to draw attention to that - https://www.australianmining.com.au/product/an-explosive-acquisition/

Also that some of the reloading powder you use in US comes from ADI- http://www.adi-powders.com.au/about-us/

Speaking of Det Cord. Every year I have to sit through hazmat training even though we're a "Will not carry" carrier! The reasoning is that we have to be able to recognize it.

Anyway, one of the pictures that come up on the course is packages being shipped, all tied up nicely with orange cord a woman found in her husband's shed. Yep, detonating cord!

The safe way to take the lid out of a  44 gallon (imp) petrol drum with no risk of it exploding - 

One lap of cordtex and "the lid is a crumpled ball of metal in the bottom before it ever thinks of exploding"

Where there’s a will! Dad had some dynamite when I was a kid but other then reloading, I have never played with explosives. Much ?