new guidelines for our church

pt756

so went to our regular church, it is catholic, have not been there for months because of his mask policy, every other church in our area has opened up. mask are optional, so i was going in new policy, if you are vaccinated you dont have  to wear a mask, i told him 5 other churches in the area are opened up and have been for awhile, meanwhile on the inside there are 17 pews, only 5 are open, sometimes 3 at a time are blocked off, his comment back was i listen to my bishop,  guess i lost some points with the big guy tonight , it did appear like a lot of people all 30 of them were vaccinated, average age i would guess most are well over 65 to 70 years old,  what about those that cant be vaccinated? at least we have other choices, and i see most of our schools have given up on mask for the rest of the year also,  i will bet this is going to be an issue going forth, their doesnt appear to be a choice here anymore?

Identify as vaccinated (technically you are, you probably had some sort of vaccine in your lifetime). 

• Like 3

Curious how this goes.  Not vaccinated myself....but had Covid at very end of March/beginning of April (true story-it does suck).  Health Dept tells me can't vaccinate for 90 days, which takes me to early July....but Health Dept also tells me I'm immune for the time being.  Given I've fought off the actual, live virus, wouldn't that be better than getting a vaccine?

• Like 8

4 hours ago, 5088 said:

Curious how this goes.  Not vaccinated myself....but had Covid at very end of March/beginning of April (true story-it does suck).  Health Dept tells me can't vaccinate for 90 days, which takes me to early July....but Health Dept also tells me I'm immune for the time being.  Given I've fought off the actual, live virus, wouldn't that be better than getting a vaccine?

Yup

• Like 4

Our churches have been blocking off every other pew and requiring masks. But one church out of four in our cluster has never really worn masks. And for Easter mass the ushers were told not to turn anyone away, so some of the blocked off pews got used. 

We have no masks, no blocked pews or anything. Preacher who is 86 walks the pews before church shaking hands and hugging necks. No one has asked a single question about a vaccine either. 

• Like 6

Masks have been voluntary since ours opened back up after a short time closed in the beginning.  Back to shaking hands and almost all gave up on masks long ago. No blocked pews tho our numbers are small enough distancing isn't too difficult should a person be inclined. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

distancing isn't too difficult should a person be inclined. 

Funny thing is that the front is usually fairly empty (United Methodist) yet the back is packed up in our church. We have been sitting up front for a few years because it's easier to get a spot .  I had said that if someone wants to social distance they can move near the front

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, M35A2 said:

Identify as vaccinated (technically you are, you probably had some sort of vaccine in your lifetime). 

Some of us are self-vaccinated by living our lives for the last 15 months, instead of trying to cross the ocean in a small boat without getting a drop of water on us.  If it spreads as easily as they say, I've been exposed to it many, many times.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, pt756 said:

so went to our regular church, it is catholic, have not been there for months because of his mask policy, every other church in our area has opened up. mask are optional, so i was going in new policy, if you are vaccinated you dont have  to wear a mask, i told him 5 other churches in the area are opened up and have been for awhile, meanwhile on the inside there are 17 pews, only 5 are open, sometimes 3 at a time are blocked off, his comment back was i listen to my bishop,  guess i lost some points with the big guy tonight , it did appear like a lot of people all 30 of them were vaccinated, average age i would guess most are well over 65 to 70 years old,  what about those that cant be vaccinated? at least we have other choices, and i see most of our schools have given up on mask for the rest of the year also,  i will bet this is going to be an issue going forth, their doesnt appear to be a choice here anymore?

As a life long Catholic the actions of our priest, our diocese (Superior, WI), and the Vatican regarding the virus in the last year and half have really caused me to question how much they truly trust in God. All of my life I've been instructed by the church to have faith in God above all others in all situations and he will provide for you. The virus hits and now we're shutting the doors, putting restrictions on what it takes to get into the church when it opened again, and restricting how many people can attend mass. All this is based on what the CDC is advising. So now the church is letting a group of people who can't decide if eggs are good or bad dictate when and how the church can be open instead of trusting in God?? 

On a side note, in April 2020 I was the president of the parish council and during a council meeting it got very intense when the discussion of how to handle the virus situation came up. We had all 6 members of the council in favor of staying open with no restrictions (masks optional) because in times of hardship the church should be a place of refuge. Our priest was adamantly opposed and used his veto power to overrule the council. He even stated "if Jesus were here with us he would wear a mask". 

I have not been back to the church since then and am having a real internal struggle deciding if I will ever return.

Sorry for the long rant but this is just the tip of the iceberg of what's in my head on this topic.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Jesse in WI said:

As a life long Catholic the actions of our priest, our diocese (Superior, WI), and the Vatican regarding the virus in the last year and half have really caused me to question how much they truly trust in God. All of my life I've been instructed by the church to have faith in God above all others in all situations and he will provide for you. The virus hits and now we're shutting the doors, putting restrictions on what it takes to get into the church when it opened again, and restricting how many people can attend mass. All this is based on what the CDC is advising. So now the church is letting a group of people who can't decide if eggs are good or bad dictate when and how the church can be open instead of trusting in God?? 

On a side note, in April 2020 I was the president of the parish council and during a council meeting it got very intense when the discussion of how to handle the virus situation came up. We had all 6 members of the council in favor of staying open with no restrictions (masks optional) because in times of hardship the church should be a place of refuge. Our priest was adamantly opposed and used his veto power to overrule the council. He even stated "if Jesus were here with us he would wear a mask". 

I have not been back to the church since then and am having a real internal struggle deciding if I will ever return.

Sorry for the long rant but this is just the tip of the iceberg of what's in my head on this topic.

Wow I'd seriously question what that priest really believes . I (although I go to a denominational church) am not for any organized church really at all. There is some benefits but many drawbacks of being organized

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Some of us are self-vaccinated by living our lives for the last 15 months, instead of trying to cross the ocean in a small boat without getting a drop of water on us.  If it spreads as easily as they say, I've been exposed to it many, many times.

According to the CDC definition, what everyone calls a vaccine actually isn't. 

From the CDC website:

Vaccines: The Basics

Vaccines contain the same germs that cause disease. (For example, measles vaccine contains measles virus, and Hib vaccine contains Hib bacteria.) But they have been either killed or weakened to the point that they don’t make you sick. Some vaccines contain only a part of the disease germ.

A vaccine stimulates your immune system to produce antibodies, exactly like it would if you were exposed to the disease. After getting vaccinated, you develop immunity to that disease, without having to get the disease first.

This is what makes vaccines such powerful medicine. Unlike most medicines, which treat or cure diseases, vaccines prevent them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bitty said:

Wow I'd seriously question what that priest really believes . I although I go to a denominational church am not for any organized church really at all. There is some benefits but many drawbacks of being organized

Most organized religions have quite a bit of legalism and not a lot of actual faith.  Just an observation from an old man.

Our church was the first to open back up after the shutdown never required masks and the only changes were more row spacing and a box for offering vs plate passing.

Ironically one of the few churches that has not seen a drop in giving in the pandemic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bitty said:

Wow I'd seriously question what that priest really believes . I (although I go to a denominational church) am not for any organized church really at all. There is some benefits but many drawbacks of being organized

This has been my struggle and I've talked to others in the church who feel the same and are having the same struggle.

In times of trial and tribulation a persons true colors show through. Unfortunately those true colors of the church fly directly in the face of their teachings.

My prayer throughout this entire farce of pandemic has been that people would turn to God!! The stories you guys are sharing is just proof that the building and leadership is not how and where your refuge is. God and Jesus aren’t limited to a building nor formal services. I have been WAY closer to the Lord, sitting on my old tractor, than inside a building. 

• Like 6

No priest, minister, pastor ,rabbi etc should have veto power over the people he's ministering to.  If the congregants don't like the executive committee decision, there can be a vote of the people. Our church's executive committee and our pastor recently agreed it was time to part ways.  It was hush until they announced it. I didn't like that part. We'll see what happens when we return on Sundays. My wife and i are both 70 so we played it safe and watched the live stream on our computer. I kinda like watching in my pj's especially when it was snowing and blowing outside. :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesse in WI said:

Trust in God, or trust in your government.

The choice is yours, choose wisely because only one will provide Eternity and peace within your soul, while the other will cause you to die an early agonizing death not only physically but spiritually as well.

The choice is easier than you think IF you have FAITH...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

Most organized religions have quite a bit of legalism and not a lot of actual faith.  Just an observation from an old man.

i grew up in that southern baptist mentality, i have learned to stretch myself and learn what the bible says vs what people interpret - am i good at interpreting NO i try to move as I groan thru things with the spirit and then adjust accordingly, i am a true believer if you are sensitive to the promptings and are open to looking at yourself you have a lot to learn - im so broken and in need of repairs I am glad I know a good carpenter. 

• Like 5

one good thing that is here in central wis. there are a lot of small towns and each usually has its own church, so we at least have a choice, our guy is about 40 years old, he is a white guy, however i am sure he was sent here to administer to the very large hispanic population we are seeing, there are special hispanic masses all weekend, abbyland the big sausage maker cant build apartment houses fast enough to accomodate the growing number of workers  needed, however many other businesses have also turned to hispanic  labor, and now i see one of the big window places up in medford put a whole page ad out in spanish for help. around this area there are jobs, but getting back to our priest he sometimes compares how good the hispanics are with religion compared to the natives that have lived here, i look at our church, all thats left  are people waiting to die, the baptist church in nearby medford had to build a bigger church to accomodate their growing numbers, we have a cornerstorne group in our town, looks pretty busy on sunday,, i know there are a lot of choices nowdays as compared to years ago. and one thing i have had to bite my lip on is even in this lacrosse diocese how much have they paid out for for the wrongdoings of former priests,

2 hours ago, Steve C. said:

Can tell from personal experience there is just no way it spreads as easily as they say.  Several coworkers should have gotten sick at work (2 or us had it-I think the other guy (our parts guy) is how I got it) but it was only the 2 of us.  Just from his job at the shop at least 10-15 more should have caught it.