Bolt patterns of various I.H. Engines.

Binderoid

I need a short ( lengthwise) engine for my topsoil machine. The engine sits across the frame under the hopper, right where it would get hit with the loader if it sticks out too far. I need something with a Rockford style clutch. I have a clutch assembly from a 715 combine that could be made to work, but the engine is way too long. Are there any small motors that would accept a bell housing for a C-301? 
     With slightly more effort, I could use a manual transmission bell housing if I made my own output shaft and hung a 4 hole bearing block where the transmission bolts up. I have a couple 6.9s, 7.3s and a 304 which would be short enough for my purpose. With the Ford adapter, the obvious choice would be a bell housing for a 460, but what would fit the diesels with the adapter removed? 
    Don’t need a lot of hp , currently powered with Ford 192D and this engine doesn’t work at all. 

91D5849E-DAF4-47A3-B665-3FD4E6B1C88C.jpeg

95334849-2E05-4D83-A993-8F2D34526B5B.jpeg

The 7.3 and 6.9 use the same bolt pattern as the MV gas engines, there are some bell housings around to bolt up a 4 or 5 speed tranny. I think either of those engines would be a bit overkill for your application. 

1 hour ago, DaveinSD said:

The 7.3 and 6.9 use the same bolt pattern as the MV gas engines, there are some bell housings around to bolt up a 4 or 5 speed tranny. I think either of those engines would be a bit overkill for your application. 

You’re absolutely correct about overkill but these engines are available now and I just need this thing to turn while this engine is getting majored. Doesn’t have sleeves so it’s going to take much more time.

8 hours ago, acem said:

8 hours ago, acem said:

Would a 4cyl German diesel fit in place of a d310 from a late 715?

Not quite sure what you’re asking but yes any in-line 4 would fit (well maybe not a4-71) ... I would love to have a German Diesel attached to that  715 bell housing. If I could find one I’d buy that in lieu of majoring the Ford. What model is that 4 cylinder?

I forgot the sizes, don't have one, but they are the 4 cyl version of the d310 and d358. The belhouse adapter on the back of the engine might interchange. I think there was a 3 cylinder version as well. Thx-Ace 

Think there were at least two 4 cylinders a D239 and D246. Used in things like the 74 and 84 series utility tractors, the 5000 swather used the 239. Probably a bunch of other applications that are not coming to mind at the moment.

On 5/23/2021 at 9:52 AM, IHC_1470 said:

Think there were at least two 4 cylinders a D239 and D246. Used in things like the 74 and 84 series utility tractors, the 5000 swather used the 239. Probably a bunch of other applications that are not coming to mind at the moment.