Pressure washer?

Mudfly

Any suggestions on decent, reasonably priced pressure washers?

main use will be clearing equipment a couple times a year.  So not huge hours.  Just want something reliable that will last more than 3 uses.

thanks!

I was going to ask this myself.  We have a 10 hp/3200 psi/3.2gpm  “cub cadet” badged one that has been 100%, but I think it’s down to about 60% of its original power. Seems to drop a bit every year.

Bought a $300-350 Ridged/home depot “3000psi” economy model for around the house, and that’s all it’s good for. Has no volume. Maybe 1.5 gpm.  

13 minutes ago, acem said:

I recommend an electric one instead of gas.

I need a new one and been kicking around that idea. 

I bought a Stihl RB 400  2.7 gpm  2700 psi.  It has done good for cleaning house siding and mowers along with cleaning the 806 . 

i have 3 diff ones, all fine - cheap to mid grade, electric/gas, cant say i really have a preference they do the job - ones a campbell hausfeld, two of the others are excell or devilbiss and we got dad one of the electric karchers going on 2 yrs and the soap thing doesnt work, never did 

Using it in one spot or mobile?

gas is good for power and mobility

homeowner electric box store stuff is too low gpm for moving much material 

depends on how long you want to spend washing

hot water pressure washer for your equipment and you won't be sorry.

If you over buy motor/gpm/pressure then as the pump fails it will still have enough umph for a long time...........

put soap in a pump bug spray tank and be done with it

keep water supply clean so tip doesn't clog and stress the unit

build your own using tractor pto

X2 on the hand sprayer for soap/degreaser ahead of time. That’s what I do. Spray them while I’m setting up the washer.    What’s the $500 one that tractor supply sells? Common brand...can’t think of it...but I had one of those, for ten years,  (15 years ago), current models look about the same, and it was darn good 

Generac makes a nice one, hot water however is where it is at. We bought a power America electric/oil fired pressure washer, it is a truly amazing difference trying to clean equipment. The buy in is kinda stiff, the benefits are real. 

9 hours ago, Mudfly said:

Any suggestions on decent, reasonably priced pressure washers?

main use will be clearing equipment a couple times a year.  So not huge hours.  Just want something reliable that will last more than 3 uses.

thanks!

Go commercial grade if you want one to last.

They say the "Box Store" ones have maybe ten uses in them, or less, and they are junk.

I have a North star hot water pressure washer and a Karcher cold water one.  Both have been good washers. The Karcher is only used a couple times a year to wash the house, but it is almost 20 years old and still going strong. The North Star I bought used from a guy who used to clean Warehouse floors with it. It will still shoot steam if you turn it up all the way.  You can back off on the heat and it does a wonderful job of cleaning old equipment. It will remove paint if you get too hot with it.  It has an electric motor and a cat pump. They Karcher has a lower end Honda engine on it that has always started.

I bought a 3500 psi Simpson unit with Honda engine at Sam's a couple years ago. I decided on this unit because it included a rotary floor brush/cleaner with it. It has been a good unit for as much as we use it. I tried the soap dispenser once, didn't seem to work to well, and after putting it away all the soap leaked out on the garage floor?, so I agree with using another method to apply soap. I did have to take apart the handle and modify the trigger because it stopped working due to too much play in the plastic trigger. Just pulled it out this week, fresh gas and a couple of pills and it started right up.

Biggest issue I have is that it "walks" when I'm using it, I need to figure a way to block the wheels.

I just bought some other attachments for it from Home Depot, a longer wand, a water broom, and a foam cannon. I will be trying them out in the next week or so.

If you really want to wash down equipment, you can't beat a hot water unit, we rent a commercial unit every fall at work to clean up all the equipment.

I’ve got a diesel fired one too, it’s yellow, pretty much never use it. Too aggressive. Dad blew/melted decals off his truck, buddy melted a fender on his atv with it years ago, gotta pay attention.  He stores it for me now, uses it on his dump trucks sometimes.  It’s yellow and black and was near $3k back when new. That $500 TSC Simpson  is a good bang for the buck IMO.  

https://www.watercannon.com/product/2304/simpson-4200-psi-honda-pressure-washer

We bought 2 of these about 10 years ago at work. The aluminum frame makes it easier to lift into a UTV or truck and they have been trouble free. I have a similar one at home with a steel frame. With a rotary nozzle I can clean rust off as well as a sandblaster.

• Like 1

I'm on yr 3 with the $300 Powerhorse 3000 psi/3 gpm from Northern Tool, I put a good 20 hrs on it washing my siding and about 2-4 hrs use a month during the summer since. It isn't a confidence inspiring smooth runner, but so far hasn't given me any issues.

i have a Hotsy dealer not too far away i was able to buy a hot water one used for less than half new price they had gone over it and tuned up the burner i have been very happy with it. i had a gas engine one before and it would take longer to get it started then i would use it. only use it a few times a year wash machines when we put away for season or to do repairs.

pete

wen we were heavy into restaurant cleaning we bought a Landa hot water cleaner.

worked great,,the biggest thing is storing the unit over the winter.[over night]

even if you put RV antifreeze in the unit unit , moisture gets between the ceramic pistons and the rods

freezes ans cracks the piston

we cleaned pizza ovens year round and this was a problem.

Mike

I bought a Honda powered Karcher a few years ago - $350 or so.  Honda engine.  I wash once a year for a small homeowner's association, which involves two or three days of steady running (except moving and setting it up 23 times), and various other occasional small jobs, including my own house.

Second year, the pump shot craps.  I ordered parts and rebuilt it, the after I got it running again the exhaust valve stuck open.  Freed it up, put in Mobil 1, and a few hours later it stuck again.  Third time it stuck it broke the rocker mount so the engine was toast.  Asked about it at a local shop.  They told me the vertical shaft Hondas are junk, but the horizontal shaft engines are good.  Mine was vertical shaft with a rotary pump.

Now I just rent when they need me, and charge for the time, trip and rental.  If I had to buy another I'd get one with an inline pump.  Or a higher end electric.

If you do get an electric, be aware of your available power supply.  If I'm washing on a homeowner's property while they're not home, and I trip a breaker, I'm done for the day.

1 hour ago, Steve C. said:

I bought a Honda powered Karcher a few years ago - $350 or so.  Honda engine.  I wash once a year for a small homeowner's association, which involves two or three days of steady running (except moving and setting it up 23 times), and various other occasional small jobs, including my own house.

Second year, the pump shot craps.  I ordered parts and rebuilt it, the after I got it running again the exhaust valve stuck open.  Freed it up, put in Mobil 1, and a few hours later it stuck again.  Third time it stuck it broke the rocker mount so the engine was toast.  Asked about it at a local shop.  They told me the vertical shaft Hondas are junk, but the horizontal shaft engines are good.  Mine was vertical shaft with a rotary pump.

Now I just rent when they need me, and charge for the time, trip and rental.  If I had to buy another I'd get one with an inline pump.  Or a higher end electric.

If you do get an electric, be aware of your available power supply.  If I'm washing on a homeowner's property while they're not home, and I trip a breaker, I'm done for the day.

Portable Generator capable of running the washer.

I have a  lightweight electric pressure washer that gets used much more than the heavy powerful electric one.

Honestly  though, I mostly use my high pressure water hose. I have a water hose hooked up to a valve before my pressure regulator. I'm at the bottom of the valley so i get around 150 psi from this valve. I use a heavy hose and an inline nozzle that does not shut off (if I shut off the nozzle the hose will burst!). The moderatly high pressure and high volume works great for most jobs.

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Funny that this came up today. This was the week I got all the barn tractors running and moved them outside (C, H, M F-20). All started fine even on 6 volts and old gas, F-20 was 5 pulls on the crank.

I decided to clean them up and dragged out my old pressure washer, it took a shot of ether to get it running but the pump is just wore out.

Went to Tractor Supply, bought the cheapest one they had, Simpson, 3000 PSI, 2.4 GPM, $300.

Very happy with it, but that’s only about 2.5 hours of running so far.

11 hours ago, stronger800 said:

I’ve got a diesel fired one too, it’s yellow, pretty much never use it. Too aggressive. Dad blew/melted decals off his truck, buddy melted a fender on his atv with it years ago, gotta pay attention.  He stores it for me now, uses it on his dump trucks sometimes.  It’s yellow and black and was $3k back then.  That $500 TSC Simpson  is a good bang for the buck IMO.  

Put one foot behind the next and step back one step. The hot water ones use less pressure and do more work, but yes, you must be careful. 

your pumps will last longer using a constant on wand

I always zip tie them open and have a holder to put the wand 

the constant on/off and long term running with the handle closed off is hard on the pumps even with the dribble bypass

• Like 2