Engine Bearings

KWRB

Years ago I had a replacement crank ground for the C113 rebuild, and bought the bearings to match. I bought the bearings from Red Power engine parts, when they still existed. The bearings were actually Clevite bearings, which I've been informed are a highly respectable engine bearing.

Since then, Red Power was bought by Reliance, and I don't know what they may have changed in terms of their vendors.

Fast forward to now, and I have a different crank going in, and the journal diameters are different sizes, and I need different bearings. Does anyone have any idea if Reliance bearings would be Clevite? If not, any recommendations? I've heard such horror stories about Reliance, that I'm terrified to use whatever they offer.

59 minutes ago, Takn4aFool said:

Well if that’s the case I’d go with them . Got Mahle pistons for a D-236 a couple years ago, the machine work was absolutely stunning. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with the Clevite/Mahle opinions, but I don't know who sells them. You can't buy them direct, and none of the vendors I found, who sell to the IH number/application, list their parts' manufacturer. Of course, I started looking on a Friday evening. I guess I'll have to stay calling around Monday. Was hoping to get something on order this weekend.

Spring Garden Repair in Kinzers deals in Clevite though they are also into Maxiforce as well if you don't find one closer. They are the go to machine shop around here.

Amish shop so you might have to leave a message and them call you back. 

3 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Spring Garden Repair in Kinzers deals in Clevite though they are also into Maxiforce as well if you don't find one closer. They are the go to machine shop around here.

Amish shop so you might have to leave a message and them call you back. 

Would I need to know the Clevite number, or could I get away with the IH number. I didn't have the Clevite.

Also, Amish machine shop? That's a thing? Kind of ironic to me.

8 hours ago, KWRB said:

Would I need to know the Clevite number, or could I get away with the IH number. I didn't have the Clevite.

Also, Amish machine shop? That's a thing? Kind of ironic to me.

If you could find the clevite number that would be best. I'm not sure if they have a way of crossing the IH number. If you ask them about bearings for a C113 they could probably find the number too but if you find it you know what it is.

Amish machine shop is a thing here, have almost Amish everything it seems in this area.

13 hours ago, Super A_sepa said:

Amish machine shop is a thing here, have almost Amish everything it seems in this area

I have seen state of the art machine shops, paint booths, side swing forklifts and paved driveways next to a house with no electricity. They do some amazing work also, happy they found a way to make it work with their rules because they are quite the craftsmen.

2 hours ago, JaredT said:

I have seen state of the art machine shops, paint booths, side swing forklifts and paved driveways next to a house with no electricity. They do some amazing work also, happy they found a way to make it work with their rules because they are quite the craftsmen.

wash hanging out on the line,outdoor boiler, while shop is full electric ,phone,tools, but faux internet

I used to deliver soybean meal into a Mennonite feed mill.  No electricity to the building.  Had an engine powered generator for lights, etc.  A second engine powered a large hydraulic pump to run hydraulic motors for leg, augers, etc.  One section of the building had a long driveshaft down the center with belts and chains to drive various parts of the facility.   Westfield augers outside had steel wheels on the carriage. 

That place was immaculately clean!

Heard back from the engine shop. Clevite/Mahle are unobtainium. They offered a Federal Mogul, and stand behind the quality. We'll see I guess...