1256 axles

FarmallTom

I have a 1256 that someone torched the axles off of. ?

I have a couple of 856 rear ends around here and am wondering if there is any difference in those axles.  I realize that they are the same size, externally, but is there any difference that I might not be considering?

TIA

-FT

Only thing I can think of is aren't the bull gears wider on a 1256 versus a 856, so the splined portion of the axle is different between the two?  Axle bearings are different, that I know.

THere is one thing I really like about the new CIH parts site- and thats the "Fitment"  View More" link.   According to that, the 856 axle fits everything from a 706 to 1026, the 1256 axle only fits the 1256.     Different p/ns. I can't say why.

WHile I was looking at that, I noticed a "heavy Duty Wide Tread" design, the whole axle housing is different with a outer bolt flange and then a "bearing extension housing" at the end.  I've never seen one, anybody got pics of one of those??  Looks cool as a "different item" to have on a show tractor, for sure!

14 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

THere is one thing I really like about the new CIH parts site- and thats the "Fitment"  View More" link.   According to that, the 856 axle fits everything from a 706 to 1026, the 1256 axle only fits the 1256.     Different p/ns. I can't say why.

WHile I was looking at that, I noticed a "heavy Duty Wide Tread" design, the whole axle housing is different with a outer bolt flange and then a "bearing extension housing" at the end.  I've never seen one, anybody got pics of one of those??  Looks cool as a "different item" to have on a show tractor, for sure!

Neighbor had a 1206 with the heavy duty wide tread axle. Thinking it was mostly a southern thing, 40 inch rows, mounted hippers and middle busters. Big axle loads in wide tread settings.  Maybe Long Farms has seen some.  Just guessing here. 

11 hours ago, Long Farms said:

1206/1256 share same part # which is different from 806/856 due to bull gear width. have not checked 1206/1256 vs 1026 or 1066. 

Did some checking this morning, 1206/1256 versus 1026 is not the same, a 1026 is the same as an 856.

1206/1256 versus 1066, the part numbers are different, but what the exact difference is, I'm not sure, other than axle bearings.

Buddy had an 806 with what he called cotton picker axles. The ones with outer flange. Was a canning company tractor when they still grew asparagus. Did stuff on wide rows. Buddy got it down to fit 30 inch rows may have had to reverse dish on castings. By Owatonna MN. 

I have posted pics of some on here before. They are on a  tractor in dumas. I'll try to find it.

Mounted cotton pickers were heavy. My 856 ran one before dad bought her in 74?

Thx-Ace 

Not 100% sure but I think the axles from a 1066 will interchange with a 1256. Just responding from memory, didn't check books

ed

The diameter of the inner race for the inner axle bearing is bigger on a 1066 than a 1256...found that out the hard way. Brother broke the RH axle on his 1256. Went to Meyer's Salvage in Aberdeen....they gave him one for a 1066...they said it was the same axle. When my brother went to install the inner axle bearing, it wouldn't fit, the inner race of the bearing was too small. He called up Meyer's...this time he got ahold of Paul himself. He told Paul what was going on....Paul replied "it'll never fit, the axles are different size". Paul told him to bring back the axle and he would replace it with the proper one for a 1256. The axle Paul gave him worked perfectly. I'm sure this wasn't the first time Paul ran into this.

• Like 1