Waking up my Model 25 Northwest Shovel

Buddy

Any one on here operate, repair and collect cable equipment ?

After sitting since fall of 2019, ol thing fired right up !

Was a little grumpy on the clutches and brakes . After a few minuets of play, it was ready for work.

Northwest Shovel.jpg

Northwest Shovel 2.jpg

Northwest Shovel 3.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks for posting Buddy ,  I dont collect cable operated iron , But I happen to have a Northwest Catalog in my collection .

The "skimmer Scoop" seems like the forerunner to a Gradall

1041058547_Northwestcatalog001(958x1280).thumb.jpg.aca8cb3935dcaa706ace261f44f53c34.jpg

900190944_NorthwestSkimmerScoop001(923x1280).thumb.jpg.7f5c6c1ceda446e9bb3973a6fe0cdcfa.jpg

1578988495_NorthwestSkimmerscoopspecs001.thumb.jpg.8ec03ec5b122e39080e846eeeef93aa7.jpg1737280739_NorthwestSkimmerScoop002001.thumb.jpg.09e4f9f7976646993d51a5806dc87f17.jpg195314986_NorthwestPullShovel001(918x1280).thumb.jpg.1caedfb372d856ac73335e5cf4c8891f.jpg

Northwest 001 (918x1280).jpg

• Like 4

There was a drag line operating at a local sand plant until a few years ago. The parent company went broke. I missed the auction or I would probably own it. Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

Be still my beating heart!!!  I would like to have a face shovel.

I tried to buy a Northwest Model 41 a number of years ago (2008?), but it got sold for razor blades.

I do have a UNIT 614 though....

05B32482-97F4-4B08-9E07-718FE7775E06.png

• Like 10

During my apprenticeship in the IUOE, we were taught on cable hoes, clam buckets, shovels and draglines. 

I oiled on many of them in the late 70s as many were still in use.

LOTS of fittings to lube on them old girls.

And most of the dozers at the training site were cable blades. D-8s.

• Like 3

Ran a North West 80D when I was a kid in a limestone quarry. Had a big slow speed Murphy Diesel in it. Mechanical controls ,NO air assist, steel pan for a seat,freeze  your butt in winter and I LOVED it.Went on to run Big Terex loader and Euclids.Was a great learning experience for a farm boy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

Had a big slow speed Murphy Diesel in it.

If anyone knows of someone still tinkering with those sweet running Murphy Diesels ,I have a set of 4 injectors I would love to

get them to someone with a need for them ,  If I look hard enough I should have a set of Murphy "school" books and tools , My dad went to

a Murphy factory sponsored training school back in the 50's  , They gave the graduates books and specialty tools

I put the coffee cup in the piccy so the size of these unit injectors could be realized ?

murphy diesel injectors 002.jpg

murphy diesel injectors 003.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That is cool

I love seeing that old excavating equipment working and thinking about all major projects that were done with it.

My FIL was a housing developer he had a old P&H cable excavator he was still using in the 80's for digging basements.   

We had a thread going last year on all the old stuff 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Be still my beating heart!!!  I would like to have a face shovel.

I tried to buy a Northwest Model 41 a number of years ago (2008?), but it got sold for razor blades.

I do have a UNIT 614 though....

05B32482-97F4-4B08-9E07-718FE7775E06.png

Nice looking machine !   Wow !

9 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Thanks for posting Buddy ,  I dont collect cable operated iron , But I happen to have a Northwest Catalog in my collection .

The "skimmer Scoop" seems like the forerunner to a Gradall

1041058547_Northwestcatalog001(958x1280).thumb.jpg.aca8cb3935dcaa706ace261f44f53c34.jpg

900190944_NorthwestSkimmerScoop001(923x1280).thumb.jpg.7f5c6c1ceda446e9bb3973a6fe0cdcfa.jpg

1578988495_NorthwestSkimmerscoopspecs001.thumb.jpg.8ec03ec5b122e39080e846eeeef93aa7.jpg1737280739_NorthwestSkimmerScoop002001.thumb.jpg.09e4f9f7976646993d51a5806dc87f17.jpg195314986_NorthwestPullShovel001(918x1280).thumb.jpg.1caedfb372d856ac73335e5cf4c8891f.jpg

Northwest 001 (918x1280).jpg

I would like to find myself a copy of this book.   I like it!

17 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

If anyone knows of someone still tinkering with those sweet running Murphy Diesels ,I have a set of 4 injectors I would love to

get them to someone with a need for them ,  If I look hard enough I should have a set of Murphy "school" books and tools , My dad went to

a Murphy factory sponsored training school back in the 50's  , They gave the graduates books and specialty tools

I put the coffee cup in the piccy so the size of these unit injectors could be realized ?

I remember starting that big Murphy it musta been 8 ft long,was huge for a 21 year old clod hopper. Pull on that compression release and away she go.Straight pipe, heavy curtain to protect me from the sound in the house(which did little)no separate cab,and lunch heating on the exhaust manifold. 

• Like 1

There is a quite large Northwest Dragline being used dredging up sand for a concrete plant just north of Eau Claire, Wi on the east side of Hwy 53. It is in plain view.

DWF

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Buddy has quite a few of those old Murphy's. He also has all the tools and manuals. He showed me how to change the injector on a Murphy once when I was helping him at the Field Day of the Past show.  Slickest thing I'd ever seen. You stuck a tool that look like a speed wrench down in a socket on top of the head and the injector screwed right out of the head on a worm gear.  Some amazing engineering went into those engines.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Attachments were dug out the honeysucker and delivered here.  Backhoe , crane boom and fair-led.

All of these have spent time on this machine over the years at one point in time. . 

Northwest Shovel and attachments.jpg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Buddy said:

Attachments were dug out the honeysucker and delivered here.  Backhoe , crane boom and fair-led.

All of these have spent time on this machine over the years at one point in time. . 

Northwest Shovel and attachments.jpg

Nice 

What is the history on that machine?

You get a drag line bucket too?

• Like 2

I ran a clam shell for a clean up job for Los Angeles Flood Control cleaning out all the flood control channels.  LA Flood Control used the county dump trucks to haul the trash and weeds to the dump.  Only problem was the trucks never showed up on the job until 9:30am, quick load and they were all gone to the dump.  They then went on break and then to lunch, showing back up at 1:30pm for another load, and then I would not see them until the next morning.  It is no wonder that Los Angeles is broke with workers like these guys.  I was supposed to work 7am to 3:30 every day but it was a 8am to 2pm and I was gone after the last truck.  Easiest job I had that year.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has an old Bucyrus Erie shovel. Small. I have to make him an exhaust manifold as his is rotted out badly. Machine runs great though.  I will try to remember to get pics.

• Like 2

One of my relatives spent most of his life using a drag line to dig ponds and ditches and load trucks. In the 50's where I lived any farm owner could get an almost free irrigation pond|s from the US Department of Agriculture.  He worked at the USDA at the time and dug 100's of 1 acre or so ponds.  He was a Master at putting the bucket where he wanted it and getting the depth correct.  I think at least one of their machines was a North Western.  That job went away when ever farm within a 50 miles had PONDS. He thin mostly loaded trucks at earth moving contractors using the drag line to load trucks, his personal claim to fame, he never dropped a bucket on a truck in 25 years of loading.  I think that the reason an excavator became so successful is  very skill is required to run a modern excavator. An operator that can toss a bucket 100' and land within 1 foot of a marker had real skill! 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Nice 

What is the history on that machine?

You get a drag line bucket too?

Yes, I have several buckets for it. Drag and clam.

I bought the machine years ago from a sand quarry. 

50 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Yes, I have several buckets for it. Drag and clam.

I bought the machine years ago from a sand quarry. 

Good deal 

What's it got for power?

I see a BE in the back ground that yours too?

• Like 1