Hey guys - thoughts on a spray rig - target would be 5 to 40 acre spots prob most under 20 - 

I have never sprayed ANYTHING but my own yard, ditches, fences and a small 15 gallon 7 foot sprayer. I am using about 15 to 20 gallons / acre on my yard for 24D. 

We always have the local neighbor distant family member that has a big terragator type vehicle and spreader business do our big areas 

seems there is a need for SMALL stuff and wanted to get your thoughts on what kind of RIG you would consider for this type work

Small Tractor/cab? Skid steer with sprayer ? Old Truck w/sprayer ? 

I would want to be enclosed for overspray and safety. 

How large of a tank would be required for 20 acres? I dont know flow rates etc....for general burn off KILL for weeds/brush or special chemicals for warm/cool season grasses for CRP and NRCS program items. 

Your talking a pretty small sprayer then I would consider a three point sprayer 250 gal tank that a 60 to 100 hp tractor would handle I use one on my 84 hydro works very well easy to turn and get in small places  

• Like 1

How much are you wanting to spend? If it was an option I would consider an older spra coupe. My neighbor still has a 3630 that he keeps around for jobs like you described. If that is not an option I would consider what ksfarmdude said and look for a three point sprayer. Although I still have nightmares about running our three point “x” fold booms and saddle tanks. I was glad to see those go. In my opinion any good condition self propelled sprayer with a automatic rate controller, like a raven 440, would be much better than other alternatives. I would also mention though that the only money we were ever able to save was to buy chemical from a wholesaler. What most people charge for application is very reasonable. Most retailers that I know of apply for a loss and make all their money on selling you the chemical. I have seen my neighbors spend more trying to do it themselves than it would cost to have it done, but at least they don’t have to be dependent on anyone. A very modern sprayer with a GPS controller can save a lot of chemical (and $$$) in small odd shaped fields. The sprayer is somewhere that GPS really shines. Foam markers and no automatic section control can be very aggravating trying to tell where you have been and what you are doing. Foam markers on a hot day was mentally tiring trying to tell what was going on. If you are spraying roundup, 2,4-D mix then 10 gal/acre is a pretty standard rate. Liberty does not like less than 20 gal/acre although I have seen people get by on less. I never could though. Personally if you have some good running and hire that out then I would tell them they are going to do the small fields too or you will find someone else who will. I wouldn’t want to discourage anybody from doing their own work if they want to though, just trying to share my experiences. 

• Like 1

sounds like great ideas guys, i am not familiar with the automatic self propelled units you speak of BUT i will research, I would be traveling small distances - less than 40 miles likely one way or somewhere there abouts. I would charge a premium due to the need and hauling because likely they cannot get someone to do their small fields from what i have researched. You cannot work for free and people need to take care of their crp ground. There are a lot of city folks around here that buy stuff and then put it in crp to help pay for the land because they do not know anyone or know anyhting about farming and just want to make some income. 

I have the charge rates from the USDA/EXT office so have that for a guideline but likely would have to have other charges depending on what type of equipment/hauling and how i can get people scheduled etc....

It would definitely be on my terms since this is not my primary source of income. 

Thanks for the great ideas I will be researching more

I have sprayed/driven a tractor with a big 3 point sprayer on it a couple times but the farmer just said get in and drive till it runs out its all set up........come back to the house when done - 

it was the boom thing like u talked about and no trees so back n forth i went 

If you are talking about going 20, 30, 40 miles away then I would think that might make something like a Spra Coupe more attractive. I know the model 3630 that I mentioned and others like it have a tow bar bracket built in to them and can be pulled easily with a truck if you get a tow bar. I have an old IH 660 sprayer that I used to do custom tobacco spraying with as well as my own. The biggest field I ever sprayed was 16 acres. I had a custom trailer for hauling it that worked great. I charged $20 per acre, but never traveled more than a few miles. A sprayer like that would be good, but it didn’t have a cab. 

Not trying to discourage you but you will more than likely need an applicator license and insurance would be a good idea.   You ruin a crop on accident it doesn’t take long for thousands of dollars of damage.   A three point one would be ideal for small batches.  

10 minutes ago, nate said:

Not trying to discourage you but you will more than likely need an applicator license and insurance would be a good idea.   You ruin a crop on accident it doesn’t take long for thousands of dollars of damage.   A three point one would be ideal for small batches.  

oh yes i have heard some stories about drift..........i would def have ins and get a license im not a risk taking guy if something cuold go wrong it will when im involved for some reason, i told my mom she should have chose murphy for my middle name 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If you are talking about going 20, 30, 40 miles away then I would think that might make something like a Spra Coupe more attractive. I know the model 3630 that I mentioned and others like it have a tow bar bracket built in to them and can be pulled easily with a truck if you get a tow bar. I have an old IH 660 sprayer that I used to do custom tobacco spraying with as well as my own. The biggest field I ever sprayed was 16 acres. I had a custom trailer for hauling it that worked great. I charged $20 per acre, but never traveled more than a few miles. A sprayer like that would be good, but it didn’t have a cab. 

ok great i will google a spra coupe 

I couldn’t even venture a guess on what custom applicator insurance would cost. I’ve never even checked into it. I know dealing with the Missouri Department of Ag regarding drift complaints is an absolute nightmare. You better have good records. It’s why we never sprayed dicamba, we had enough trouble as it was. We never had a complaint about crop damage, it was always some jackwagon who claimed we drifted on his yard and killed a flower. 

15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Hey guys - thoughts on a spray rig

PM'd you

This a my setup, I’m in the same boat lots of small fields and nobody wants to take care of the small guy anymore. I just run 45 foot boom‘s and 2/ 150 gallon tanks The only thing I would do different is go to 200 gallon tanks just to give me a little more capacity for a 20 acre field.

3A225B8F-B520-48D7-982E-8F6A73DF8A2A.jpeg

FB0A836B-C56F-4573-B440-6C9D9B1CA8EB.jpeg

• Like 3

I was at my John Deere dealer today and I snapped this picture of a very crusty 3640 Spra Coupe they had on the lot. It also had the tow bar laying there so I thought you might be interested in just seeing what the tow bar set up looks like. It attaches right under the front axle. 

E3C07D53-1451-40FC-B82C-09E028CF217B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Wi Ih said:

This a my setup, I’m in the same boat lots of small fields and nobody wants to take care of the small guy anymore. I just run 45 foot boom‘s and 2/ 150 gallon tanks The only thing I would do different is go to 200 gallon tanks just to give me a little more capacity for a 20 acre field.

3A225B8F-B520-48D7-982E-8F6A73DF8A2A.jpeg

FB0A836B-C56F-4573-B440-6C9D9B1CA8EB.jpeg

wow thats a fancy rig there - i will have to check on the applicator stuff and what not, i got a friend that does application for homeowners so he will know the scoop

7 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Our sprayer rig.  Works good close to home, hate to drive it 30 miles!

20210418_155004.jpg

hey i think i have that same cab on my 706 or darn close to it - yes faster road gear needed 

Custom applicators need to get the license, it's not necessary if your just spraying your own land. I have the prep, study guide from the feds. Better get them and start reading, not a thin little brochure! Then ya have go to soon many meetings that the big AG companies put on to collect points to maintain your license.

Can not even purchase Restricted Use herbicides, without the license.

In Missouri there is a commercial  applicator license and a private applicator license. You can’t purchase restricted use pesticides for use even on your own land without a private applicator license  There is also a separate certification for dicamba use which I have never obtained because we don’t use it. The private applicator license is pretty easy to get, the commercial license is much more involved. You are not legal to apply pesticide for hire on a private license. Unless something has change you used to be able to spray for other farmers as long as you traded labor. Something like it was legal for you to spray for your neighbor if they helped you plant and no actual money changed hands. I haven’t checked into that for a while. Other states are probably different. 

A neighbor is about to sell a nice agchem rogator 664. He bought a big late model jd sprayer.

I'm supposed to help him put her on auctiontime next week.

I use an old 3pt sprayer with a 300 gallon tank and 36ft booms. It works but I would buy my neighbors rogator if I had the money.

Thx-Ace 

4 hours ago, acem said:

A neighbor is about to sell a nice agchem rogator 664. He bought a big late model jd sprayer.

I'm supposed to help him put her on auctiontime next week.

I use an old 3pt sprayer with a 300 gallon tank and 36ft booms. It works but I would buy my neighbors rogator if I had the money.

Thx-Ace 

whoa yea thos things are $$ 

11 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

In Missouri there is a commercial  applicator license and a private applicator license. You can’t purchase restricted use pesticides for use even on your own land without a private applicator license  There is also a separate certification for dicamba use which I have never obtained because we don’t use it. The private applicator license is pretty easy to get, the commercial license is much more involved. You are not legal to apply pesticide for hire on a private license. Unless something has change you used to be able to spray for other farmers as long as you traded labor. Something like it was legal for you to spray for your neighbor if they helped you plant and no actual money changed hands. I haven’t checked into that for a while. Other states are probably different. 

i was reading the certified commercial applicator stuff and its the only license here you can get to apply chemicals on others land - you can get a separate license for ONLY your land or another license for land you are leasing or work for. 

may not be worth the trouble unless a person wanted to try applying something organic not sure if that would require the same license havent dug into that yet. 

When I last dealt with applicators license, a private license allowed you to do your own, and for not more than two others with a restriction on acres. More people or more acres required a custom applicators license.
I’m currently using my local coop to spray because I’m on the road in the semi and farming as a side gig. But I hate not being the one in charge of spraying. Gaps, overspray, and run down corn are always harder to tolerate when someone else is responsible for them!!

38 minutes ago, brewcrew said:

When I last dealt with applicators license, a private license allowed you to do your own, and for not more than two others with a restriction on acres. More people or more acres required a custom applicators license.
I’m currently using my local coop to spray because I’m on the road in the semi and farming as a side gig. But I hate not being the one in charge of spraying. Gaps, overspray, and run down corn are always harder to tolerate when someone else is responsible for them!!

understood, that is why i wouldnt be doing any CROP spraying or likely not around many neighboring crops - this would be for crp/nrcs land mgmt stuff