Truck spindle repair.

dale560

Buddy has a s 2500 with a 466. Front outer wheel bearing failed and wore spindle, hub. He had local truck parts guy find parts in Nebraska and I went put it back together last night. Used to do king pins , front wheel bearings on 2 ton trucks every week. Sure remember now why I hated brake and wheel bearing work. The dirt and black dust is everywhere. Now a bearing was bad on other side. We packed the bearings on that side. he is waiting for a race and will be buttoned up

D946AEBB-0A5C-4850-94AB-E0E281CB26D2.jpeg

E388AC13-7DC6-4566-B948-7252E849EABD.jpeg

D12C1757-393D-4C74-BA5F-916E84C0A0DC.jpeg

At least it's not a dayton hub. Air brakes are less messy too! What was wrong with spindle ? Did bearing cut into bottom side ? On the old Chevy's most had tapered king pins with plastic bushings from the factory. What king pins will you use ? Kaiser no ream?

1 hour ago, Worth Co. farmer said:

At least it's not a dayton hub. Air brakes are less messy too! What was wrong with spindle ? Did bearing cut into bottom side ? On the old Chevy's most had tapered king pins with plastic bushings from the factory. What king pins will you use ? Kaiser no ream?

We used the old king pin. The bronze bushing in used spindle were good. The outer bearing spun and seized on spindle and race spun in hub. Both parts could have been welded and machined. Guy said used parts were 1300 local machine shop is good at these repairs but I am sure it would have been a 1000 to weld and machine both pieces. Yes at least these hubs are lighter but we used to have almost all Dayton wheels on everything up here

At least you don't have the complexity of the air front suspension that allows the front-end to kneel like on the Gillig bus based RV.

Nice clean job you have there.

37 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

JMech would have a field day with this @dale560.......lol

Yes. Just showing what it takes to keep some of these older trucks going. This truck is exceptionally nice. Local IH dealer bought it new and used it on the custom combine run.this was guys favorite truck he sold all his other ones and newer semis but kept this one until he quit completely. My buddy then bought it about 20 years ago. I am sure king pins bushings are available after market yet but his were perfect just needed spindle , hub. Which are not available from Navistar.  If you look real hard the engine is black we swapped a long block in about 10 years ago. He paid 9000 for a complete engine with inj pump. We swapped it out in 2 afternoons  for him with buddy helping.

8 hours ago, dale560 said:

Yes. Just showing what it takes to keep some of these older trucks going. This truck is exceptionally nice. Local IH dealer bought it new and used it on the custom combine run.this was guys favorite truck he sold all his other ones and newer semis but kept this one until he quit completely. My buddy then bought it about 20 years ago. I am sure king pins bushings are available after market yet but his were perfect just needed spindle , hub. Which are not available from Navistar.  If you look real hard the engine is black we swapped a long block in about 10 years ago. He paid 9000 for a complete engine with inj pump. We swapped it out in 2 afternoons  for him with buddy helping.

Nice work dale.  We do this kind of stuff all the time.  I’ve used lots of junkyard parts.  Got a steering column for a loader not too long ago.  1/4 price of Deere.  It works perfect hardly any wear.  Any truck we park usually gets picked clean of anything useable.  If there was nothing wrong with the kingpin and it was tight nothing wrong with re using it in my book.  It’s not what was causing the problem anyway.  The last steering knuckle I had bored and sleeved for a kingpin was a mess when I got it back.  They messed it up on the bottom of the top so the seal didn’t fit right.  I kind of wished I had got a junkyard one.  Usually their work is excellent.  Speaking of keeping trucks  going we are finishing up putting new frame rails in a 1998 paystar and a 1998 Freightliner.  The Freightliner was rusted so bad it had split the flanges off 4 places.  The paystar had the rear suspension pushed out so far you couldn’t keep rubber blocks in the suspension.   They were both in good shape mechanically so they decided to have us repair them rather than buy different used trucks.  

9 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

That  guy was a nut.  Around this area everyone wants as little fixed as possible for as little money as possible to get by or keep going.  Guy wanted me to diagnose of bad computer on an M11 Cummins .  Another mechanic told him it was bad so I figured it probably was but went and checked it out.  Batteries are stone dead in truck.  Needs three  batteries only 2 in it.  Battery cables should have been replaced 5 years ago.  Told him I needed batteries.  Told me to go get the ones out of the excavator.  Checked it over computer was bad.  Sent it in for him put it back on.  Had to get batteries out of another truck this time.  Ran good .  He was happy paid me cash right as soon as I was done but I will guarantee he did not put new batteries or cables on that truck. Not to sound like a cob artist but I’ve seen some and done some not text book stuff that lasted a long time.  

9 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Probably as much as me. Where in the heck is the jack stand? Trusting that jack alone is like trusting a fart after 50....

3 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

Probably as much as me. Where in the heck is the jack stand? Trusting that jack alone is like trusting a fart after 50....

I admit we should have had it on safety stand . 

8 minutes ago, Paystar5000 said:

Nice work dale.  We do this kind of stuff all the time.  I’ve used lots of junkyard parts.  Got a steering column for a loader not too long ago.  1/4 price of Deere.  It works perfect hardly any wear.  Any truck we park usually gets picked clean of anything useable.  If there was nothing wrong with the kingpin and it was tight nothing wrong with re using it in my book.  It’s not what was causing the problem anyway.  The last steering knuckle I had bored and sleeved for a kingpin was a mess when I got it back.  They messed it up on the bottom of the top so the seal didn’t fit right.  I kind of wished I had got a junkyard one.  Usually their work is excellent.  Speaking of keeping trucks  going we are finishing up putting new frame rails in a 1998 paystar and a 1998 Freightliner.  The Freightliner was rusted so bad it had split the flanges off 4 places.  The paystar had the rear suspension pushed out so far you couldn’t keep rubber blocks in the suspension.   They were both in good shape mechanically so they decided to have us repair them rather than buy different used trucks.  

That  guy was a nut.  Around this area everyone wants as little fixed as possible for as little money as possible to get by or keep going.  Guy wanted me to diagnose of bad computer on an M11 Cummins .  Another mechanic told him it was bad so I figured it probably was but went and checked it out.  Batteries are stone dead in truck.  Needs three  batteries only 2 in it.  Battery cables should have been replaced 5 years ago.  Told him I needed batteries.  Told me to go get the ones out of the excavator.  Checked it over computer was bad.  Sent it in for him put it back on.  Had to get batteries out of another truck this time.  Ran good .  He was happy paid me cash right as soon as I was done but I will guarantee he did not put new batteries or cables on that truck. Not to sound like a cob artist but I’ve seen some and done some not text book stuff that lasted a long time.  

We need to replace frame rails on our 79 1954 in a couple years.