D350 head studs

Josh123

I recently bought d350 I'm now in the middle of overhauling but the previous owner pulled the engine with the head off by the head studs and bent two of them. I was just wondering if anyone made new studs or if someone has any nos studs 

On 5/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, Josh123 said:

I recently bought d350 I'm now in the middle of overhauling but the previous owner pulled the engine with the head off by the head studs and bent two of them. I was just wondering if anyone made new studs or if someone has any nos studs 

Whatever size they are, find a better bolt supplier who would carry B-7 threaded rod. This is not hardware store stuff, but real grade 8. You won’t have coarse on bottom and fine on top like I think your original studs may be, just use the nut that fits the rod and use the standard fastener torque chart for grade 8 bolts on those two studs; and torque the others to factory specs.  This is assuming you haven’t found a shop to have them custom made already.

I once contemplated putting head studs on my John Deere 619 engine. I went to the local diesel shop because I knew they helped a lot of tractor pull guys out. They said there were no off the shelf parts for that engine, but they could have studs made for any application. They told me around $1000 to have them custom made at the time. I thought this was outrageous until I went to Deere and found out that it was only slightly less for OEM bolts. I just ended up using the OEM bolts because it would have taken quite a while to get the custom studs. Custom studs might not cost as much as you think. 

• 1 month later...