5488 hydraulics

redpower123

2 minutes ago, CIHTECH said:

Or "pretty frickin complicated"? till ya understand them.

I remember learning the PFC System not to long after they first came out . Yep " Pretty Fricken Confusing " is a pretty accurate term until one got to understand them .

Thanks I was going to pull a 1560 John Deere no till drill with it and the dealer said I need to find out what kind of hydraulics the tractor had if it was open then you close the valve on the drill if it was closed when you open the valve on the drill

When it comes to JD equipment be careful. When they say closed center on a implement those are typically designed for high pressure closed center hydraulic systems(10-60 series Deere) not PFC. I'm not familiar with a 1560 drill. But when you are using a tractor with a PFC hydraulic system on a Deere pull type chopper you set the chopper for open center then turn the flow control on the tractor down to 2-3 GPM or turn the flow down as low as you can so the controls work properly. Running a PFC pump all day long at high pressure stand by will destroy the pump. In this area Deere pull type choppers have destroyed countless PFC hydraulic systems. 

If it is true that for the tractor to work properly the implement would need to be set up for open center hydraulics, then the drill would need to have the open center conversion already on it. Part # BN280593. Others will know more than I about the PFC system. I can’t speak to this as I have only run these drills on JD equipment and none of the 750 or 1590 drills that I ever had were equipped with this kit. For those that may not be familiar with this drill, it uses the tractor remotes to provide the hydraulic down force for the drill openers. If this is a drill that you are thinking of purchasing the first thing that needs to be looked at is if the seed boots are loose on the shanks. The holes wear out on the shanks and they will not put seed in the ground in that condition. There are after-market fixes for this, but it is time consuming. It involves drilling the holes out with a jig and installing bushings. If that 1560 has been used at all and this has not been done I can almost guarantee those mounts are shot. This problem is the reason I got rid of our 40 feet 1990 drill and now have a 40 feet Great Plains, just got tired of poor stands of whatever we planted in anything less than ideal conditions. 

• Like 1

I have a late 750 i pull with a 1066. It has the open center conversion kit and works well. I have to hold the lever down for a bit to get the pressure up. 

My 750 drill is high maintenance but can do a great job. Needham Ag is a great resource on these drills.

Thx-Ace

23 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Or "pretty frickin complicated"? till ya understand them.

Or, as I have observed, “pretty fr——- costly” when it comes time to repair.