Super MD pistons

Wot on earth!!!!!! ---NO WAY! --- SMD is a picky motor to begin with, so dont even think about them!  WOW what damage some people do to good parts!!

Extra turbulence generators for better mixing of the air and fuel. Makes for more complete combustion.

"Used something metal to knock them out," I presume that meant they were stuck, so probably not "good parts" to begin with. You couldn't chowder up a set of pistons that bad if they were loose even if you used a sharp cold chisel and an 8lb sledge.

be dam sure he dont know how to assemble an engine! as a last resort i would file those dings flat and look at the ring lands to see if they are usable yet, maybe take some measurements  to. i would not be scared in an emergency for myself if things checked out. dont have to worry about JMECH attacking me anyhow. lol.

• Like 2

Rough top isnt nearly as bad as rough sides. Depends on what you do with this tractor. If you work it, get new ones. Does it run like 40 hours a year? Than check ring lands (or reuse the rings if they are good) and if the sides are smooth, you can use them I would say.

Its a matter of being willing to spend money or not.

• Like 2

The story with the tractor is it was parked under a shelter when they stopped farming years ago 

It sat there until the guys nephew bought it when the family was selling what was left on the farm 

When he purchased it the engine was stuck where it had sat for all those years 

He took the head and oil pan off and removed the pistons 

I’d like to get the tractor running to use on our farm. The most it will do is pull trailers and maybe a hay rake and Tedder. Those pistons don’t look bad on the sides I though I would polish those marks out with my die grinder using a scotch brite wheel. I’d use new rings and may even get a machine shop to check the pistons to be sure they will be ok before putting back together. 

• Like 1

nothing wrong with that! cant be really really fussy when no parts around that a person can afford. and for what you will do with it,it will out last you. the sleeves must be too far rusted to use ?? or was it covered up.? will they hone out ?

• Like 1

It has been covered since the guy tore it down. He put the oil pan back on and had a rag lying in the top of the block with the hood back on and it was under a shelter. 
I think the sleeves will hone out good there agin once I get into it if I find major problems I will reevaluate my direction 

If the ring lands are ok and piston to bore clearance is ok you’ll probably get away with it. The area of concern on that design of piston is the narrow edge of the combustion bowl on the right of the pics. Make sure there are no rough spots or sharp edges there as that area seems to act as a hot spot and starts melting. Have seen it happen on a few bd281 engines used in the 614. (Persons experience with pistons that look like yours). If that part of the piston is ok they usually last quite well. 

• Like 1

I too would not purchase new pistons.  I think they're over $2000 now.  I'd get the head checked before putting too much money in it, is it possible to check injection pump in non running condition?  Money adds up QUICK on these gas start diesels, and with the condition of the sheet metal, tires and being a stage one, it's a little risky.

For pretty much a "Parade Queen", I would use the pistons after a very good cleaning and looking over.

The dings in the tops look bad but those pistons are thick and tough.

You could run a sheep turd hone down the cylinders and treat it to a new set of rings if you can find new rings and pay for them.

I would have the head looked at first.

If the head is cracked, then your priorities have changed and then do you go forward?

Many people want a perfect engine for very light work.

These engines were Jerry Rigged together in the past and can be done so now.

It probably will never see the plow.

• Like 2

If you do decide to reuse them, --- dressing them as smooth as possible would help. Problem with that is you also remove the hard surface on them making them more prone to melting. Diesels have more heat/pressure than gas.  Yes it would be costly now days and new parts are getting scarce for these motors.

BEFORE you go any further, please have machine shop magnaflux the head as the SMD's and 400, 450 along that line had a real bad habit of cracked heads due to operator /owners not shutting them down the right way!  I used to have 2 SMD's and they were great tractors till the head cracks!  I used to haul hay and straw with one of mine pulling a 34 foot Fruehauf flatbed trailer with 300 bales per load and pulled it 34 miles to the barn, unload and come back home  and load up for the next day.

I was lucky to have gotten 2 tractors that had good heads so never had any problem with them. My uncles farmed 1400 acres with 2 of them till they got a 1206 the first year they came out ----had rear end problems all the time with it. Then they traded up to 1466, 1486 and a 1066 to pull 2 M&W 300 bushel wagons to town.

IH tractors have been great in my family and I still have a few utility models that I use here.

You could as already stated measure the ring lands for wear or if collapsed.  If the above checks out, you could debur knocking down the high spots and edges with a sanding disc.  The first shows what appears to be embedded steel all that needs to removed as this creates hot spots or could eventually become dislodged.

Now if I wanted it to last I would box the best piston up, ship it up to Gibtec in Denver, Colorado and have 4 new pistons made and bore the block to that new custom piston size...I would put a modern ring from Total Seal based on Gibtec's and your engine shops recommendations.

Scott

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 460 said:

You could as already stated measure the ring lands for wear or if collapsed.  If the above checks out, you could debur knocking down the high spots and edges with a sanding disc.  The first shows what appears to be embedded steel all that needs to removed as this creates hot spots or could eventually become dislodged.

Now if I wanted it to last I would box the best piston up, ship it up to Gibtec in Denver, Colorado and have 4 new pistons made and bore the block to that new custom piston size...I would put a modern ring from Total Seal based on Gibtec's and your engine shops recommendations.

Scott

??????>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............UHMMMMMM   why cant gibtec simply call the OEM for prints and supply the correct piston for < $75

if MR hastings is alive, will do back flips to offer the OEM rings.

1 hour ago, mmi said:

??????>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.............UHMMMMMM   why cant gibtec simply call the OEM for prints and supply the correct piston for < $75

if MR hastings is alive, will do back flips to offer the OEM 

And if the OEM will even give up there precious drawings what will they supply a scanned draftsman drawing.  They need a solid model in CAD to program there CNC.  Gibtec or any piston manufacturer has the ability to scan a existing design and import it into CAD.

Any piston designs I have done I sent them a solid model in either native Solid Works or IGS files.

I'm not sure on the point on Hastings...I guess I was trying to suggest if you are going custom pistons you might as well update the ring pack to the 21st century this is far beyond what Hastings can offer.

• Like 1

why re engineer the wheel

if any MFG was worth their salt in the 21 st century  could simply use 18th century science and reproduce from an original,likely zollenor ,isnt that what china does every minute.

if you think that engine then requires 21 st century rings,MR hastings could provide them.but not having pistons I have not ordered directly from him in 20 years

there is a 2K pcs order right here on RPM,but no one has the %^  to commit either in mfg or purchase,kind of why none of these projects get off the ground.

I am still waiting for the perfectly do able complete replacement UC's for <$3500, just not for sale in the USA

On 5/24/2021 at 11:49 PM, mmi said:

why re engineer the wheel

if any MFG was worth their salt in the 21 st century  could simply use 18th century science and reproduce from an original,likely zollenor ,isnt that what china does every minute.

if you think that engine then requires 21 st century rings,MR hastings could provide them.but not having pistons I have not ordered directly from him in 20 years

there is a 2K pcs order right here on RPM,but no one has the %^  to commit either in mfg or purchase,kind of why none of these projects get off the ground.

I am still waiting for the perfectly do able complete replacement UC's for <$3500, just not for sale in the USA

There was a guy over on the crawler board that was trying to do that for the 500 series crawlers. Post is pretty old, wonder what ever became of that project. I was currently gathering information to convert mine to rubber tracks before I saw that post.