Substitute fir Hy-Tran on 67 ih 606

Since there is no case dealers around me I was wondering if the fluid sold at the New Holland dealership (which is near me) would be as good as the Hy-tran that is recommended by the owners manual for my tractor or possibly mobil 424. Any advice is appreciated. 

• Like 1

New Holland Mastertran is the same exact fluid as HyTran so if you want to go with the genuine article, that's it. They just released a new formulation because they switched to Shell as the provider of the oil.

HOWEVER, your 606 does not have exotic wet clutches, IVT/CVT drives, powershifts, etc.. Anything that lists Hytran or MS1209 on the side of the bucket will be more than adequate in my opinion.

Mobil 424 meets JI Case MS1209 so it would be a suitable fluid for an older tractor like this.

• Like 3

Any premium hydraulic oil will work fine.  If you have ready access to Mobil 424 that would be a good choice.  It has a high level of antiwear additives and similar water absorption ability to Hytran.  

• Like 1

If you have a New Holland dealer close that sounds like a great option. I did not know that what they sell is the same as Hy-Tran. My Steiger with an Allis Chalmers transmission and axles has had John Deere Hy Guard in it for years. Along with my IH 250 track loader. It is what I have available in bulk at our farm. I would think any good oil would suit your needs. 

23 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The tractor was built 54 years ago.

Right. I personally can't stomach the cost of HyTran anymore, especially when the newest IH on the farm is a 1256. I'm sure the 36 year old spec covers my IH's just fine.

• Like 2

Farmer down under here would never buy  "Hi Tran" for his five     (5)       504 Farmalls and Standard tractors.......Only ever used 46  Hydralic oil.. I have several of these units.....(I brought the whole shebang after he passed...)...One still  goes well..including the T/A   which still functions ok......

Mike

14 a gallon here for hytran bulk i always forget to ask NH dealer.

Just get good brand name.  The 303 cheap stuff inst good for anything everyone agrees.  Brand name Cat, JD, Napa, CIH, Mobile, Conoco, Texaco etc etc today are all good for them older rigs.  You do need to share pictures fyi

Yeller bucket wonder fluid is used round these parts in everything. I've seen it used in old gear drive tractor, power shifts, cvt tractors, logging equipment, log splitters, automatic transmissions and everything else. It still works when they put it in!

4 hours ago, acem said:

Yeller bucket wonder fluid is used round these parts in everything. I've seen it used in old gear drive tractor, power shifts, cvt tractors, logging equipment, log splitters, automatic transmissions and everything else. It still works when they put it in!

It works here too till it gets cold , I've used it in a old leaky 656 but finally fixed leaks and went back to hy-trans. Winter kills it here with all the wax in it, plugs filter

10 hours ago, Red666 said:

been running Mobil 424 for 20+ years always good oil, no problems.

Raleigh Ordyne at Herr's Machine lists Mobil 424 as the first option fluid for the old IH Hydro tractors if a customer does not have ready access to Hy-Tran.

• Like 2

i can sell you original hytran for lot less money than dealer  and this is the original before they switched to shell. pallet quantity be cheaper becasue of shipping also have 15/40  and straight 30w   before they switched

7 minutes ago, gmcdeadhead said:

are you selling hytran? 

2 hours ago, hardknocks said:

i can sell you original hytran for lot less money than dealer  and this is the original before they switched to shell. pallet quantity be cheaper becasue of shipping also have 15/40  and straight 30w   before they switched

Viscosity oil has been making hytran since the beginning and has the formula. New as of now hytran is made by Shell oil 

2 hours ago, hardknocks said:

"Original Hy-Tran"......You probably should offer up some proof of what it actually is. 

Travis

Viscosity owns the "Hy-tran" formula, CaseIH owns the name. Viscosity's ultraction IS the original "hy-tran". It's $15 to $20 a bucket cheaper than CNH.

• Like 2

I have an empty can of the predecessor of hytran . TA additive 

• Like 1