Farmall H axle clamp bolt

12_Guy

I lost one of the axle clamp bolts and the other three were loose. I moved the wheels a few years ago and I apparently didn’t get them tight enough. I need a replacement bolt and I measured one before I tightened them. Now I am doubting my measurements and am not near the tractor. I measured 3-3/4 long and thought it was a 3/4 bolt. I was in a hurry and using a tape measure. Thinking back about what wrenches I used I am thinking they would be 5/8. Can anyone confirm the bolt diameter?? Thanks in advance. 

Some of that stuff used a heavier nut resulting in a bigger wrench size than normal.

But your saying smaller than 3/4 so I guess that doesn't make sense...

19 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Some of that stuff used a heavier nut resulting in a bigger wrench size than normal.

But your saying smaller than 3/4 so I guess that doesn't make sense...

This is my dilemma, I was using a 1” wrench IIRC. 15/16” would be standard for a 5/8 bolt. But I had “measured” 3/4 so now I don’t know if my measurement is faulty or my memory of the wrench size is to blame. Either way the tractor is 35 miles away. Sux getting old. 

• Sad 1

IH used a 3/4 bolt with a one inch wrench size through early 300 and 400 tractors. Some replacement bolts they and others sold had the 1-1/8 wrench size.

• Thanks 1