The millennial mentality.

lorenzo

When I did my apprenticeship,  we signed an agreement if you left before 10 years after graduation you had to pay back for your training on a pro-rated basis. At that time (99) they figured they had $10,000 in a skilled trades graduate. 

5 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

When I did my apprenticeship,  we signed an agreement if you left before 10 years after graduation you had to pay back for your traing on a pro-rated basis. At that time (99) they figured they had $10,000 in a skilled trades graduate. 

What percent of the training did they pay for?  I've heard similar stories but never a 10 year commitment.

8 minutes ago, 5088 said:

What percent of the training did they pay for?  I've heard similar stories but never a 10 year commitment.

100 percent plus a tool box made in house by the tinshop and fairly significant set of tools to go in the box. 4 year program with courses on company time by the local area college.  It was a good program imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iowaboy1965 said:

100 percent plus a tool box made in house by the tinshop and fairly significant set of tools to go in the box. 4 year program with courses on company time by the local area college.  It was a good program imo.

My wife's employer paid for her masters degree program from Texas A&M, but she is only roped in for 3 years, if she goes elsewhere in that time she is on the hook for all of it.   But if the company leaves the local location or eliminates her position in that time, its on them.  I personally wouldn't have bothered, but she likes learning.  In our area she could hold top jobs without it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, IHKeith said:

If my generation (millennials) are the laziest,  how come none of the publicly funded housing projects in my area were built in my lifetime? 

Don't drive a stake through the heart of the millenials.

They still have the quiet bunch that become doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc. and are on our side.

But the left don't want these young people to exist as they can think for themselves.

These kids are generally following the teaching of their parents.

The bad ones don't have parents, they may have a mother only and are left to fend for themselves.

No wonder they want all the free stuff.

That is what they have been taught and this is hard to overcome without hard lessons.

This is why the penitentiaries are full.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Diesel Doctor said:

They still have the quiet bunch that become doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc. and are on our side.

But the left don't want these young people to exist as they can think for themselves.

The bad ones don't have parents, they may have a mother only and are left to fend for themselves.

That is what they have been taught and this is hard to overcome without hard lessons.

I see that with kid on my road..............most our out in no man's land.............Dad is not there, mom has a phone in her face, and the kids are just "there", it is sad.

9 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Yeah, most of them get the "young and stupid" out of their systems eventually, just like every generation that has come before. There will always be some that never grow up, never get it, but again, that is no different than any other generation.

I hope I live to be old enough to see the Millennials complaining about how worthless and stupid the younger generations that come after them are. It's called "The Old Phart Mentality."

I bet if you looked hard enough you could find cave paintings complaining about how the younger generation wont amount to anything. 

"Grog grow up hunting mastodon. Grog junior just play with stick."

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yeah, most of them get the "young and stupid" out of their systems eventually, just like every generation that has come before. There will always be some that never grow up, never get it, but again, that is no different than any other generation.

I hope I live to be old enough to see the Millennials complaining about how worthless and stupid the younger generations that come after them are. It's called "The Old Phart Mentality."

Honestly, can't agree with that............That generation that lived through the depression and fought a world war and won it was the peak and it has been sliding down hill every generation after that IMO.  I couldn't imagine the current generations getting either of those accomplished, let alone both.

• Like 6

On 5/19/2021 at 8:34 AM, IHKeith said:

If my generation (millennials) are the laziest,  how come none of the publicly funded housing projects in my area were built in my lifetime? 

haven't you ever the song "Welfare Cadillac"? Come out l think in 1970. Here are the lyrics to it. Wouldn't have to change a thing to make it fit into today's world:

Well, I've never worked much
In fact, I've been poor all my life
Guess 'bout all I really own is
Ten kids and a wife
Course, this house that I live in
It ain't nothing but shack
I always managed somehow to
Drive me a brand new Cadillac
Backdoor steps they
Done fell plum down
Front screen door's off and
Laying somewhere out there on the ground
Wind just now whupped another piece of that old tar roofing off the back
Sure hope it don't skin up that new Cadillac
Front porch's porched, of course they then all come through at the bottom
It don't make no sense to fix them
That floor wood is too darn rotten
Oh, in winter, we sometimes have some snow that
Blows in through the cracks
'Fore it gets too bad, we just
All pile up and sleep out there in that new Cadillac
I know the place ain't much but
I sure don't pay no rent
I get the check the first of every month
From this big Federal Government
Course, every Wednesday, I get commodities
Why, sometimes, four or five sacks
Pick 'em up down at the welfare office
Of course, driving that new Cadillac
Now, some folks say I'm crazy
Fact, I've even been called a fool
But my kids get free books and
All them there free lunches down at school
We get peanut butter and cheese
And man, they give us flour by the sack
Course, the welfare checks make the payments on this new Cadillac
But you know the way that I really get it
These other folks are the fools
They're all out there just working and paying taxes
Sending my youngins through school
Salvation Army cuts our hair and
Gives us the clothes we wear on our back
So we can dress up and ride around
Show off that new Cadillac
But you know, things gon' get better yet, at
Least that's what I understand
Now they tell me this new President just put in a heck of a new poverty plan
Now they say, he gon' send us poor folks money
Men, we gonna get it down here in stacks
Fact is, my wife's shopping 'round right now for her new Cadillac

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

I agree, mostly about people being able to think for themselves 

1 hour ago, twostepn2001 said:

haven't you ever the song "Welfare Cadillac"? Come out l think in 1970. Here are the lyrics to it. Wouldn't have to change a thing to make it fit into today's world:

Well, I've never worked much
In fact, I've been poor all my life
Guess 'bout all I really own is
Ten kids and a wife
Course, this house that I live in
It ain't nothing but shack
I always managed somehow to
Drive me a brand new Cadillac
Backdoor steps they
Done fell plum down
Front screen door's off and
Laying somewhere out there on the ground
Wind just now whupped another piece of that old tar roofing off the back
Sure hope it don't skin up that new Cadillac
Front porch's porched, of course they then all come through at the bottom
It don't make no sense to fix them
That floor wood is too darn rotten
Oh, in winter, we sometimes have some snow that
Blows in through the cracks
'Fore it gets too bad, we just
All pile up and sleep out there in that new Cadillac
I know the place ain't much but
I sure don't pay no rent
I get the check the first of every month
From this big Federal Government
Course, every Wednesday, I get commodities
Why, sometimes, four or five sacks
Pick 'em up down at the welfare office
Of course, driving that new Cadillac
Now, some folks say I'm crazy
Fact, I've even been called a fool
But my kids get free books and
All them there free lunches down at school
We get peanut butter and cheese
And man, they give us flour by the sack
Course, the welfare checks make the payments on this new Cadillac
But you know the way that I really get it
These other folks are the fools
They're all out there just working and paying taxes
Sending my youngins through school
Salvation Army cuts our hair and
Gives us the clothes we wear on our back
So we can dress up and ride around
Show off that new Cadillac
But you know, things gon' get better yet, at
Least that's what I understand
Now they tell me this new President just put in a heck of a new poverty plan
Now they say, he gon' send us poor folks money
Men, we gonna get it down here in stacks
Fact is, my wife's shopping 'round right now for her new Cadillac

I agree, Jerry Reed has a lot of songs that really apply decades later, there has been lazy and energetic people as well as many that fall in between those classifications, just like with more livestock or more tractors, more people (increased population) means more “disease”

On 5/17/2021 at 5:57 PM, Rusty shackleford said:

Dosnt matter what generation ya are of ya had good parents , lots of millennials had had video games instaid of parenting. I was raised in the 80s and 90s by a great man who taught me how to work and be an adult and have a family, that's what I do because of him. I see alot of people putting down there own kids generation, well we're they raised right?

Product of how they were raised, and that isn't no scape goat there. My old man taught me to do honest work. The cheater gets what he deserves, but honesty and hard work get your own satisfaction, and that's what is important. My wife works health care and managed an assisted living home. Literally would hire anyone who applied because they were that short on help. One weeks pay advance and all the overtime you wanted. Literally only two people worked the other two never showed up after the second week and always had an excuse. Heck my own kin folk was told to go get company truck and head to work one day because he had a small fender bender on way back home. Said he would rather sit at home and look for parts for his vehicle. No one is taught to have the feeling of working hard for the feeling of knowing you did something at the end of the day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Honestly, can't agree with that............That generation that lived through the depression and fought a world war and won it was the peak and it has been sliding down hill every generation after that IMO.  I couldn't imagine the current generations getting either of those accomplished, let alone both.

Your grandfather couldn't agree with that either. Neither could his grandfather. It's just natural for your attitude to mature in that manner.

I would even dare to wager the grandparents of "The Greatest Generation" thought that those kids were worthless and would never amount to anything, and could not imagine them ever accomplishing what they did. I mean really, electricity, running water, telephones? What a cushy lifestyle by comparison!

I firmly believe that if push ever came to shove, you would be surprised and impressed.

1 minute ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Your grandfather couldn't agree with that either. Neither could his grandfather. It's just natural for your attitude to mature in that manner.

I would even dare to wager the grandparents of "The Greatest Generation" thought that those kids were worthless and would never amount to anything, and could not imagine them ever accomplishing what they did.

I firmly believe that if push ever came to shove, you would be surprised and impressed.

You must be optimistic by nature.............heard local stories of guys in the battle of the bulge about freezing to death lacking about everything, and they just kept going..................You think the people now days of the same age would go through such conditions when they have a hard time shoveling snow without getting cold, hungry, and tired after a one foot storm for an hour with the house 20 ft away and all the latest winter gear 10 layers deep?   Never, Never, ever would happen..........................Only thing that would supprise me is the number who would shoot themselves, as it would be higher than I would expect most likely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

You must be optimistic by nature.............heard local stories of guys in the battle of the bulge about freezing to death lacking about everything, and they just kept going..................You think the people now days of the same age would go through such conditions when they have a hard time shoveling snow without getting cold, hungry, and tired after a one foot storm for an hour with the house 20 ft away and all the latest winter gear 10 layers deep?   Never, Never, ever would happen..........................Only thing that would supprise me is the number who would shoot themselves, as it would be higher than I would expect most likely.

Nope, just halfway between young and old. I can still remember as a kid, the old folks complaining about how soft we kids were, and how we would never amount to anything or get anything done, that the world would go to **** in a handbasket when they were gone. I've heard it all before. I'm sure I'll hear it again. Heck I'll probably even say it myself.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Product of how they were raised, and that isn't no scape goat there. My old man taught me to do honest work. The cheater gets what he deserves, but honesty and hard work get your own satisfaction, and that's what is important. My wife works health care and managed an assisted living home. Literally would hire anyone who applied because they were that short on help. One weeks pay advance and all the overtime you wanted. Literally only two people worked the other two never showed up after the second week and always had an excuse. Heck my own kin folk was told to go get company truck and head to work one day because he had a small fender bender on way back home. Said he would rather sit at home and look for parts for his vehicle. No one is taught to have the feeling of working hard for the feeling of knowing you did something at the end of the day. 

I had  private tour of the Cornhusker ultralight factory where my grain trailer was made. I noticed a few empty work stations with older  men shuffling from one place to another . I asked about it . He pointed out a man putting rivets into the side sheets of a trailer and said “ see that guy there”?  “That’s the owner of the company “

Went on further to say , “ can’t find help and when we do some only last one day and walk out .  Says they don’t even give notice, don’t call the next day , just disappear into thin air with out a word.  I noticed no young workers . He said “ the guys he has have been there since they were kids and his average age is over 55. He was concerned about the future because he will soon need an entirely new crew. 

54 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I had  private tour of the Cornhusker ultralight factory where my grain trailer was made. I noticed a few empty work stations with older  men shuffling from one place to another . I asked about it . He pointed out a man putting rivets into the side sheets of a trailer and said “ see that guy there”?  “That’s the owner of the company “

Went on further to say , “ can’t find help and when we do some only last one day and walk out .  Says they don’t even give notice, don’t call the next day , just disappear into thin air with out a word.  I noticed no young workers . He said “ the guys he has have been there since they were kids and his average age is over 55. He was concerned about the future because he will soon need an entirely new crew. 

See.

I get it Matt, and i bet hard working guys like you in you age range get sick of hearing what crap your gen is.  Not YOU but a maj of the 30 to 40 yo are just pathetic.  See the #s of them living with parents.  I am 4 years out of the millennial range so not some ancient condger.  But I ca  take you for a local tour and every shop/dealer/sales manager will say the work ethinc of the avg 30 something is just staggering its so bad.  Some think the 21 year olds are better.  Few highly successful biz locally just get shut down and a few get bought by some giant deal b/c the owners say they cannot get the 30 40yo to accept the responsibility of ownership.  Personally we know guys that made **** of deals to 35 yo fella i figired be good.  Nope rather punch clock.  Dont want responsibility.  New big corp bought and let him go in months.  Happens weekly.  Rare the next gen steps up nowdays.  The guys like you are gonna rule the world in 20 yeats man.  The opportunity when the Boomer gen is gone is huge.  Tons of biz are looking for new owners as the guy is 73 and cant find a buyer.  

Greatest generation..... that group was industrious and strong willed.  Great for our county.  But they did make the boomer gen which got this leftist ideal pushed into mainstream.  Too easy i guess so nothing to do but complain. 

Luxury Beliefs...new term.  You have everything so now you think minorities should be given $, gays special treatment, marriage to a cat, food grown organically etc.  But when asked if you will give that $ or you will live that great open relationship no commitment life they say "oh no, we are moving out of town to raise our kids and stay together forever".  Makes little sense

I know what you are saying with the workforce, no one wants responsibility. I was offered a job with a pipeline company. I didn't take it, but I already knew what was up. The younger generation gets starting wage in the mid to low twenties. Literally work two years, and are Foreman's. A foreman, I really don't think these guys truly understand the responsibility of what a foreman is... I wouldn't want the foreman job because of the nightmare stories I hear of the workers they get hired on. Smoking with gas blowing out of the holes, hitting electrical wires that should have been marked, yea, no thanks. 

• Like 1

As a father of three from 28 to 36 years old I would like to think every parent wants a better life for their kids. Mine were all taught to work and have good careers, With that said I probably failed them also, after years and years of debt and struggles I probably didn't raise an entrepreneur because I was preaching the benefits of being cautious.

All three of my kids are critical of a good portion of their peers and the work ethic they see around them

• Like 1