Broken off key

mmod

Just got a new to me 656 with the key broken off flush. I can still turn it on with serious twisting pressure from my thumb, and I have bought a new key.

But does anyone have a slick trick to get that broken key part out of the lock?  Bought a pick set but no luck so far. Thanks in advance. 

Its possible to remove with picks. As a serviceman. That was to slow. Unbolt dash panel. Pull back far enough to remove switch. Clamp switch in vise grips. Slap vise grips across drawbar with key facing down. On the third or fourth slap key should fall out.

• Like 2

If you're going to pull the dash and remove the switch, have a new switch on hand to replace it with. Then you can try to get the key out of the old switch at your leisure, and if you're successful you have a spare switch.

• Like 5

I dug one out of a 560 like that.  Pointed pick and kept working at it. It is possible.  Patience is the thing.

• Like 2

560"s were famous for having the key broken off. I remember we probably changed the switch 3 or 4 times over the years. Big guy working plowed ground with 560 with duals = broken off key every year or 2

38 minutes ago, hagan said:

560"s were famous for having the key broken off. I remember we probably changed the switch 3 or 4 times over the years. Big guy working plowed ground with 560 with duals = broken off key every year or 2

That's why you swing your leg over the rear of the seat getting on and off, not through the gap between the seat and dash.

• Like 3

definitely wd40, definitely fine picks, usually the tumblers get corroded and not able to get with wire/super glue but if you do want to try the superglue trick, put glue on wire end first ( after grinding wire flat and identifying the widest flat spot of key visible ) stick it on key - let dry before spraying with wd40 to allow tumblers to loosen up before pulling on key, usually wd40 gets everywhere and u cant get superglue to work after that, not that i would know ?

7 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

That's why you swing your leg over the rear of the seat getting on and off, not through the gap between the seat and dash.

no thats why you flip the cover down over the key after starting/shutting off, at least thas how our 400 was made maybe ours was some aftermarket type of key setup

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

no thats why you flip the cover down over the key after starting/shutting off, at least thas how our 400 was made maybe ours was some aftermarket type of key setup

have only see 2 intact in rust belt ,flipper broke/froze up and or was $1 + labor in MFG and $8 at stealer so got dropped by '60

WOW i always wondered if that was factory or not, i liked it, cool galvanized flipper that covered key up 

2 minutes ago, mmi said:

have only see 2 intact in rust belt ,flipper broke/froze up and or was $1 + labor in MFG and $8 at stealer so got dropped by '60

I've taken broken keys out by spraying some WD-40 on them and using compressed air to dislodge it 

49 minutes ago, Bermuda_Ken said:

I have had good luck using a STRONG magnet to extract the broken key.

our keys for our 400 were brass looking if i remember right, not sure if that was a factory key or not might not be magnetic - ours had that flipper door thing too so maybe the flipper door style came with some other kind of key 

I've seen videos where you heat up the end of a glue stick from a hot glue gun and stick it in the hole, let it cool and pull it out. I can't speak to the effectiveness of it myself though

My dad had a 300 s/n 2341 and a 400 s/n 2793, both built in December of 1954.  The 300 had the switch with the flipper door, and the 400 had the Delco switch with the brass key.  Always thought the flipper door was neat.  The key in the Delco switch was so loose it is a wonder we never lost it.

• 3 months later...

I have had good luck with rare earth magnets attached to a small screwdriver and small picks, sometimes 3 hands are helpful