us oldies are getting er done.

Ah THATS what those are! I have seen them or a version. Of them but didn't know what they did.

This 510 years is a recent purchase. Just because it has the heavier shoes on it and is straight. Paint is a bit rusty on the covers. We had a slightly wider  Massey Ferguson  that dad bought new, only time it was ever outside was when it was moving in the field, but the blades were worn small and the shoes and scrapers were worn off the bottom.....from 40 years of use.  Bought this 510 for peanuts in comparison to what trying to replace the worn wear parts on the other one would’ve cost, actually I’m not sure you could even get parts for it.  Paint was darn nice though still. Local guy bought it up quick. 

104857C6-EFBE-453D-94C6-42782C633BF1.jpeg

468E178D-0720-4688-A5D2-5377EDB0FC89.jpeg

• Like 4

82598AC2-4B0A-46F6-B3C0-3C7696916E7B.thumb.jpeg.da255faac47d5876e7bc645edd7fb1a5.jpeg

Yep, the old stuff still gets it done!  I seeded about 50 acres a year with this little  Van Brunt for the past two years. On this field, make one round and fill it back up!

FE62AD00-80E3-4F2C-89A5-CCB620AF631C.thumb.jpeg.be4ce9d714092c05bbe4abae1f448d3f.jpeg

Dad even left me notes under the lid for seeding rates. He passed in 2017 before I moved back home and started farming. 

1E6A9A88-B0F4-4F32-91D1-FFF058EC531E.thumb.jpeg.6e36a51b1ee0ce410272cf606bcd58c5.jpeg

Sorry to show a little green here but I upgraded “massively” this spring. Twice the width and only have to add oats after about 11-12 acres. On this field I was able to scoot along in 4th gear with the SMTA. 

0D30F52F-3477-46E1-8D67-98E225BB2BDC.thumb.jpeg.a403c8c0eca0219681ce8c686fc73017.jpeg

But the VB drill won’t be forgotten. I drilled in grass mix this spring and it did a more accurate job of lbs per acre. Plus the stand appears to have a better germination rate for me then broadcasting. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

That's a nice setup! How many passes can you make before refilling the hopper?

Mike

it takes me 1 1/2 hrs. of seeding time, which works out to 10 acres per drill full. yesterday seeded 30 acres. have 80 more acres to work and seed yet.

MT Matt:  we used one of those old Deere/Van Brunt  drills for a long time too.   Still sets backed in the corner of the shed.  Lotta dates written inside the box cover on ours. 

it's  funny how accurate some of that older stuff can be.   our Deere 1240  planter did a much better job of planting soybeans than the 7000 that replaced it

• Like 1

Very nice pictures, Matt.......Theold tractors look good !!

That Montana background is something........and talking to an expat    Montana   bloke recently, here in NZ, .....he told me that your State population is increasing    fast from the California exodus...That is a shame....

Mike

2 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Great  pictures, Matt..... and of Montana in the back ground.....The old tractors look good     "still doing time ""

...and very nice to see you Dad still ""on board"'   whilst you are out there with the old drill..kinda neat, I reckon...:)

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike newman said:

That Montana background is something........and talking to an expat    Montana   bloke recently, here in NZ, .....he told me that your State population is increasing    fast from the California exodus...That is a shame....

Mike

Land for sale is very scarce around here this year. Everything available has sold. We see a lot of license plates from Washington and Idaho also. I’ll keep my mouth closed, I’m a transplant also. Born in Minnesota and my parents moved out here when I was 11.

I’ve seen a lot of places in the US and a couple sandy places overseas. I don’t need to go anywhere else!  ?

14 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Hopefully they leave their ideology at the border.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, mike newman said:

BTW....have you ever seen a  "hill"..??......(just looking at that  rather level looking country......:) )

Mike

We call that, "Watch your dog run away for three days" country!!?

Mike

• Haha 3

On 5/16/2021 at 9:34 PM, iowaboy1965 said:

Interesting. Never heard of blowing it on with air. Got any pics of the process? Sounds like it may have a draw back on stands compared to using a drill tho?

That is a very common practice around here, and I'd say most of the prairies. Alot of guys blow their N on with floaters, as well as grass/hay and canola. Quite a few do seed it with the air drill though too. We have a valmar mounted on a cultivator that we blow on our hay blend on with. Works very well. We put all our canola and flax with it as well. Broadcast kits used to be a common add-on on air seeders too

We used to mix the hay seed in with oats in the seed boxes on the 620 press drills. I don't miss mixing 32 feet of that at a time lol. Uncle had a 510 that I remember dad using to seed low spots later. Worked good for what it needed to do. Here's a poor picture of what we blow or broadcast our seed on with

20180514_140757.thumb.jpg.a6f05f2553ac77b052ee355d090f996a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:33 AM, DT Fan said:

I've got a 6&1/2' All-crop drill for WD's, works great for re-doing waterways and field edges that the sprayer got too close to.

DSC00368.JPG

DSC00369.JPG

DSC00370.JPG

That is a really cool setup.  That has to be pretty uncommon, I don't think I've ever seen a snap coupler drill before.  I still hope to find a semi-mount 510 IH drill to use for waterways and little patches as you mentioned.  It seems like the only ones I ever see for sale are north of the border.

35 minutes ago, IH Forever said:

That is a really cool setup.  That has to be pretty uncommon, I don't think I've ever seen a snap coupler drill before.  I still hope to find a semi-mount 510 IH drill to use for waterways and little patches as you mentioned.  It seems like the only ones I ever see for sale are north of the border.

There is a big online auction coming up in Kansas that has a CA with All-Crop drill as a package and I think one other mounted drill on the bill. Couple of pull types too. If I can ever get registered to bid.......

Buddy got the pad for the new machine shed done this week. Dozer left the surrounding area a little rough and devoid of grass. I had put the drill away for the year, good thing it's easy to mount up. I disced the crap out of the area with the NF 45 and 7' Allis disc, worked good in tight quarters. Had just enough oats. Drill is back in the shed.

IMG_0989.JPG