us oldies are getting er done.

rustred

got the 450 out for some exercise this afternoon. we are both old but still have our original parts, and getting the job done. the serial # of the 450 is 1957 same year i was born so thats kinda neat. i am the only one around here that does his farming with no cab, just some dirt sweat and beers.  planting barley for more beer!

IMG_1572.JPG

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Dads farm is same story.   Old iron generally hooked to a little more modern equipment.    F$@& keeping up with the jones’!!!  Very nice tractor by the way!

• Like 1

......neat picture Rust Red !!!

....on my old W450D.....Serial #   1010.....the injection pump is leaking  diesel into the sump....so I am giving that "charge pump    '' and related assembly to a good machinist   friend.....to replace the 60 plus yr old seals   with something more modern......

BTW....have you ever seen a  "hill"..??......(just looking at that  rather level looking country......:) )

Mike

msg-157-1264499155.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, stronger800 said:

Can I get in on this with our 510 drill? (And ‘67 ford) 

27ECAD53-448A-4F45-82CA-269827BFC23B.jpeg

FA08BC29-5BCB-41DB-BB66-DE382E61B6B6.jpeg

Is that a Ford 5000?

5 hours ago, stronger800 said:

You drilling a companion crop first and then running the seeder across probably? One of those brillion seeders sure would be nice to have. Hard to find used around here and new is just crazy expensive, like everything else.

6 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

Quite the modern drills you have there ??

You want to contract us other guys in this thread to come seed for you? So far, if we work together, that’s about 30’ or planting action per pass.

Nice 450 , my son laughed the other day when we were seeding with the cab less 1586 , i said it’s better than a mule ?. 450 was a big outfit in its day. Still getting it done  that’s awesome 

Great pic.  Always admired the paint scheme on those tractors be it row crop or “W” series. Thanks for sharing. 

Love the pics?  450 used to be the big tractor on our farm, day after dad bought it, rear tire went flat with a old rusted broken off fence post. Brings back memories

13 hours ago, rustred said:

got the 450 out for some exercise this afternoon. we are both old but still have our original parts, and getting the job done. the serial # of the 450 is 1957 same year i was born so thats kinda neat. i am the only one around here that does his farming with no cab, just some dirt sweat and beers.  planting barley for more beer!

IMG_1572.JPG

That's a nice setup! How many passes can you make before refilling the hopper?

Mike

I'm amazed how many guys drill in oats and grass seed.  We used an IH #5 endgate seeder, rotary broadcast. We used a 12 ft disk, disked 8 38" rows of stalks, and skipped a row to use as a marker row to drive the seeder wagon by, so 9 38 inch rows, 28-1/2 feet per pass at 5 mph.  Neighbor we traded help with started disking them in as soon as Dad and I got across the field on the first pass. When We got done seeding the first 20 acres Dad went to refill the seeder wagon with seed oats and I jumped on our big tractor and disked some in, by mid morning we were working on the second 20 acres, in the afternoon we sowed the neighbor's 40 acres. I'd drag the 24 ft Kewanee peg tooth harrow over the seeded ground, it was either going to be hay ground or hog pasture the next year, smoother was better than rougher in either case.   Never stopped to refill the seeder, carried close to 100 bushel of oats and 30 gallon garbage can full of grass seed.

Not real sure what the seeding range of the #5 actually was,  when Dad only had an 8-9 ft disk he'd disk 3 rows per pass and disked 9 rows and skipped one. First year I drove the tractor on the seeder wagon we had that pattern.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mike newman said:

......neat picture Rust Red !!!

....on my old W450D.....Serial #   1010.....the injection pump is leaking  diesel into the sump....so I am giving that "charge pump    '' and related assembly to a good machinist   friend.....to replace the 60 plus yr old seals   with something more modern......

BTW....have you ever seen a  "hill"..??......(just looking at that  rather level looking country......:) )

Mike

msg-157-1264499155.jpg

Mike: These guys have the original seals and a gasket kit to repair the transfer pump if you are interested. I did one a year ago. https://bkdiesel.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I'm amazed how many guys drill in oats and grass seed.  We used an IH #5 endgate seeder, rotary broadcast. We used a 12 ft disk, disked 8 38" rows of stalks, and skipped a row to use as a marker row to drive the seeder wagon by, so 9 38 inch rows, 28-1/2 feet per pass at 5 mph.  Neighbor we traded help with started disking them in as soon as Dad and I got across the field on the first pass. When We got done seeding the first 20 acres Dad went to refill the seeder wagon with seed oats and I jumped on our big tractor and disked some in, by mid morning we were working on the second 20 acres, in the afternoon we sowed the neighbor's 40 acres. I'd drag the 24 ft Kewanee peg tooth harrow over the seeded ground, it was either going to be hay ground or hog pasture the next year, smoother was better than rougher in either case.   Never stopped to refill the seeder, carried close to 100 bushel of oats and 30 gallon garbage can full of grass seed.

Not real sure what the seeding range of the #5 actually was,  when Dad only had an 8-9 ft disk he'd disk 3 rows per pass and disked 9 rows and skipped one. First year I drove the tractor on the seeder wagon we had that pattern.

That's exactly what I used to put my stand of pasture mix in. You can cover a heck of a lot of ground in a day with a #5. Not knowing any better, followed the endgate seeder with a #8 rotary hoe. The oats came up great & the pasture mix has been doing well since 2008. It's just to the point now that there is too much red clover in it, so I'm probably going to plow it under in the fall & rotate in some silage corn next spring.

Mike

P.S. Not stating that to say my method is better. Just adding what I did to incorporate the seed in case someone reads this post in the future looking for ideas.

Regards DOC!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

Mike: These guys have the original seals and a gasket kit to repair the transfer pump if you are interested. I did one a year ago. https://bkdiesel.com/

Hey Doc, how did you add your YT channel to your posting window (for lack of better things to call it)?

Mike

16 hours ago, rustred said:

IMG_1572.JPG

Well  ****, at least you got the priorities right. Planting more barley for more beer runs right at the top of the list. Although I prefer Rye for Rye whiskey..... But hey, whaddevah works.....

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Hey Doc, how did you add your YT channel to your posting window (for lack of better things to call it)?

Mike

I went to my YouTube homepage and copied the address at the top, then pasted it to RP Mag in the signature line section on my profile info section.

1 minute ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I went to my YouTube homepage and copied the address at the top, then pasted it to RP Mag in the signature line section. 

Sounds easy enough. Thanks!

Mike

• Like 1

This is the one I use. I built the wooden large seed hopper extension on the top, so I didn't need to refill so often. Dad had the same model drill, but narrower, and planted with a Super C. I used my Super C for a few acres for old times' sake, but gave up fighting the C steering wheel, and planted the rest of the rye with my 656. Paid $25 at the auction for the drill, and now $35 for a square coupling to get the broken small seed shaft back in operation.

181396871_2003-01-3009_22_14.thumb.jpg.5fc6d7d978ed2530363d287e7baa7a53.jpg

984224876_2003-01-2615_28_55.thumb.jpg.57c4c5042ef6cc9c2a7d084b77feb382.jpg

2146924515_2003-01-2517_16_45.thumb.jpg.06a8a147aa6531f4fe3d132f0d9a027b.jpg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, stronger800 said:

We have a 510.  Mint shape.  In shed for 20 years now...no sure why we dont use it.  I recall dad using it with the 684 doing field across road last time I remember it being used.  Now here 90% is blew on with air and we cultipack it in.  It uses alot of seed per acre but is fast so...  But uncles in-law got a nice JD drill.  Using 30# of seed (all grasses) vs the 45# most blow out and his stands look better in many ways

1 hour ago, TroyDairy said:

We have a 510.  Mint shape.  In shed for 20 years now...no sure why we dont use it.  I recall dad using it with the 684 doing field across road last time I remember it being used.  Now here 90% is blew on with air and we cultipack it in.  It uses alot of seed per acre but is fast so...  But uncles in-law got a nice JD drill.  Using 30# of seed (all grasses) vs the 45# most blow out and his stands look better in many ways

Interesting. Never heard of blowing it on with air. Got any pics of the process? Sounds like it may have a draw back on stands compared to using a drill tho?

29 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Interesting. Never heard of blowing it on with air. Got any pics of the process? Sounds like it may have a draw back on stands compared to using a drill tho?

Yeah 10k more seeds but its so quick and easy.  Ill find a pic of a rig

Here this unit, we'll toss in 20#/a of N too

https://images.app.goo.gl/V7qMuSwy12AHCPHZA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1