Kinze 2000 Double Frame

Cdfarabaugh

My cousin is looking to buy this 6 row planter pictured.  Every double frame Kinze I ever saw was used to put pusher units on.  This one has a trio of unverferth coulters mounted on it.  The only unverferth on planter accessories I ever saw was the zone till setup that replaced the tongue.  Is this a legitimate setup?  He wants to be able to take hay off then go right in to do corn.  

The zone till attached planters were real popular around here until everyone went to bigger than 6 rows.  

Screenshot_20210514-121415_Facebook.jpg

Some guys liked the double frame because of the added weight.............No till is supposed to be mellow, so not sure why you need a crap ton of weight to get it in the ground, but that was the thought anyhow.  They built a bunch of accessories, some were more popular in areas than others.   Ran a zone tiller here for awhile, never cared much for it, nothing but a headache with all those parts, and in less than ideal conditions it wasn't fun..............Strip till would be a wiser idea here most years if that is what you were after.  Ended up taking the zone tiller off, going to floating row cleaners, worked alot better.

They just have the coulters on there?  Or do they also have row cleaners on the units?   Would work ok either way for what he wants to do, I just like row cleaners for everything else.

You guys really like to no till into old hay fields?  That is one thing I don't think I have ever seen.

9 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

You guys really like to no till into old hay fields?  That is one thing I don't think I have ever seen.

That is one time where I prefer no-till.............take the hay off, go right in, plant.......Come back after the corn is up out and with a hot mix and nuke it off.  

24 minutes ago, hobbyfarm said:

In reality is the only true "double crop" we can do here (taking fall planted grains off for forage by dairy guys also).  Good way get rid of hay stands that are substandard, but at least still get something off them first.  

34 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

They just have the coulters on there?  Or do they also have row cleaners on the units?   Would work ok either way for what he wants to do, I just like row cleaners for everything else.

No row cleaners, not sure why as I always thought they were always a good addition to any no till setup.  

Last year he had some corn custom planted into a hay stand by more "normal" kinze no till planter, was a smidge wet and the trenches didnt close then it got hot and dry in june.....you can guess what happened.  I guess this would be a bit more aggressive and maybe work better in that scenario. 

That's the one thing that's hard with no-till, hundred different ways to do it with 20 different soil types were blessed with. 

The issue here was taking a planter, and trying to plant both in conventional and no-till.................You can set them up good for each one, but its difficult to make one work well for both.  For example, solid press closers are best for conventional, spiked closers work well in no-till(Probably part of the issue your trench didn't get closed)...............but to find one that works in both, tricky.  Shlagels worked good for both, but in hard no-till with them was still a challenge.  

Appears I will be back to planting some corn next year which will be no-till............I am going completely backward to a Cyclo, miss those row units.  Got my eye's peeled for a late model with a Keldermann wing fold..............

They tried that for a couple years when I was at the farm, it was going to be the next best way to rotate fields out of hay. First year of was the best corn they had, second year not so much. Just like everything else, conditions have to be perfect. The second year we got a two week dry spell right after it was planted and the corn suffered.

We also tried no tilling sorghum into old hay fields but the results were hit and miss. The best one was a field that was sprayed too early. It killed the grasses off but didn't touch the alfalfa because it hasn't regenerated enough yet. With both the sorghum and alfalfa it made some great feed.

We added a set of zone till coulter's on a homemade toolbar on the 955 cyclo we bought new and we loved every aspect of how it was easy to get a super stand in almost any ground condition. We then put a set on a custom built 12 row 900 we set up and liked it EXCEPT for it was a vertical fold and was 20' 6" wide when folded for transport . 

We have since went 100% notill will floating row cleaners on two of the 3 planters we have now (2) 6 row 955 and a 1200 pivot 12 row. 

The biggest advantage of the zone till was in cooler temperatures it would warm up the zone as it looked like it rototilled a 6" wide pass in front of each row. We ran a 1586 dualled up or a MFD 5140 on the 6 row and the 7250 on the 12 row after originally using a JD 8960 on that.

Maintenance on the coulter's is necessary and always yearly much to fix. Biggest reason it had extra weight was those 3 coulter's in dry hard soil could ride on top of the ground if it was too light. 

They were effective for slice-n-diceing rattlesnakes

18 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

This one has a trio of unverferth coulters mounted on it.

I saw that listed and would really like a 6 row but...

Price is reasonable.  And looks in good shape & stored inside.  Be sure to check on parts.  Ours has Rawson tillers and with that being sold to unverferth some parts were not available.  JD had a lot of parts for the rest of our 2000.

24 minutes ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I saw that listed and would really like a 6 row but...

Price is reasonable.  And looks in good shape & stored inside.  Be sure to check on parts.  Ours has Rawson tillers and with that being sold to unverferth some parts were not available.  JD had a lot of parts for the rest of our 2000.

Dont think Kinze parts would ever be tough to get as you said them and Deeres are, well pretty identical and well supported by the aftermarket too.  

I thought the price was pretty good too, it's only a half hour away......usually there's always a catch 

59 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Dont think Kinze parts would ever be tough to get as you said them and Deeres are, well pretty identical and well supported by the aftermarket too.  

I thought the price was pretty good too, it's only a half hour away......usually there's always a catch 

Could almost build one out of a shoup book...............

14 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Dont think Kinze parts would ever be tough to get as you said

I was referring to our Rawson parts being unavailable after they were sold to unverferth - you mentioned unverferth coulters.  Just make sure parts are available.  When I called unverferth couldn’t get the Rawson fertilizer tubes from unverferth.

11 hours ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

I was referring to our Rawson parts being unavailable after they were sold to unverferth - you mentioned unverferth coulters.  Just make sure parts are available.  When I called unverferth couldn’t get the Rawson fertilizer tubes from unverferth.

Oh okay understood.  Were probably going to have a look today so ican get a better idea how that's setup out front.  I'm curious what setup that has for fertilizer honestly, cant see with the advertisement pictures.  Thanks for your heads up!

We were able to get parts ok. We did make our own replacement assembly for the pivots as stock didn't last long , neither did ours. High down pressure on those coulter's. 

Ours had dry fertilizer and I just dropped it in front of one of the trailing coulter's and it incorporated it fine 

On 5/14/2021 at 10:23 PM, 1480x3 said:

We spray the field prior to cutting the hay, since using this method have not had a failure of the notill corn or beans

Don't you run the risk of the spray tainting the feed?

Archived