International 606

planejeff

An International 606 came across my radar.  Decently priced and looks to be in good shape. I did some research on it. It is basically a 460 engine. I just never heard of the model 606. The 706 and 806 were the most know and advertised models. The 656 soon replaced it and was more popular tractor. What happened to the 606? Why did not become as popular model?

The 606 was only made in a Utility model. There was never a Farmall 606.

IH was fresh off the 460/560 rear end debacle, and they were still using the 460's design for the 504 and 606 tractors. These tractors were pretty gutless, as the C153 and C221 engines were not known for massive power, so the rear ends were safe.

Apparently IH wanted to use the same 460-sized drivetrain in a ~60HP row crop for some reason. It took them a couple of years to improve the design to handle the power from the C263 and D282 engines. They knocked it out of the park for the most part.

I'm not sure why IH didn't just carry the larger heavier more robust 560 drivetrain over to the 656.

The 606 diesel IIRC was rated at 53 hp, having owned the 606 and spent a good amount of time on a 574 D with D239 rated at 52hp, The 574 felt quite a bit stronger.