Need help with small engine ignition

Hoping someone familiar with small engine ignition systems can help me out..

Working on a Honda GXV530 two cylinder engine .. I have cleaned everything, set the coil air gaps to spec... have no spark at plug... the tester shows the coils are generating spark, but it only shows on the tester when you put it to ground.. there is no spark at all when you attach it to the spark plug ...

Anyone have an idea what the issue could be here.. the engine shut off diode is disconnected, so it’s not that.. 

Engine was running when last used a couple years ago.., could it be that both coils are now too weak to push the spark through the resistance in plugs to create a spark ?

Thx,

Grant 

agree with Tractormanmike. Had that happen on a Chink generator. New spark plug fixed it.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked the plugs for continuity,  and have also tried other plugs to see if I could get spark with no success..... I will pick up new plugs today... if that is the issue I will be surprised...  and pleased ...

The plug tester I have is just your basic inexpensive Princess Auto/Harbour Freight in line tester that flashes if you have energy from the coil ... 

Seems like those Honda twins have a history of coil failures . . . Not way sure but that is what I’m thinking. That said, I would be curious what the plug porcelain looks like on the piston side . . . should be white or near white . . . anything approaching black (and smooth) would be gasoline carbon fouled and tends to allow the spark to short across that carbon rather than jump the gap. 

Could try pulling a plug wire, popping it on the end of a #2 Phillips, holding the shaft close to a cooling fin while someone cranks and look for a spark.

No spark, bad coil or ignition switch.  Spark, bad plug.

It's worked for me in the past

Does it have a low oil level sensor that shuts it down when it's low on oil?

I believe on this engine, from what I’ve found online, it’s just the kill diode for the engine...   to shut it down when you turn the key off ..  just picked up my new plugs in town, so will try them here soon.. 

1 minute ago, MarkinIN said:

Does it have a low oil level sensor that shuts it down when it's low on oil?

I don’t believe this one does.... I haven’t seen anything that looks like it would be that....and there is no mention of it in the literature I have ..

9 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

Try changing the plug?

Well I tried new plugs, still no spark... but both coils are still causing the light in the plug tester to flash when I ground it to the engine block or battery ....but will not flash when I attach it to a plug that is inserted in the head.. 

The resistance in the secondary coils is within specs, but the primary coils are showing no resistance when it says there should be at least some .. 

If anyone has one of these engines, a photo of the wiring to the coils would be most helpful ..

2 hours ago, mmi said:

thought these were to be tested with air gap tester(faux pluG) to simulate the plug?

You sure could be right mmi... I’m not familiar with what an air gap tester is or how it works ?

Those  Honda motors have a very weak coil to begin with. In normal light it is next to invisible. I have 2 small Honda motors a little single cylinder 140 CC pump motor and a twin cylinder 360 CC genset motor. I have never seen a spark on either one BUT they start and run. I see it as the Honda magic ignition system. If a little Honda doesn't start CHANGE THE SPARk PLUG FIRST UNLESS YOU KNOW FOR FACT THAT IT IS GOOD.

Thx to all who responded .. I now have it running ... my hope is to have this engine power a bandsaw mill I plan to build this year... 

spark plugs and fuel ?‍♂️ ? i have had a bad fuel cap that wouldnt get air and couldnt keep a motor running before, would start then die LOL

Don't feel bad. I once put a new fuel pump on my old Wheel Horse and it was out of fuel, and I've been turning wrenches for a living for over 35 years.    ?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

Okay, so what was the solution?

It wasn’t a no fuel issue, it was an ignition issue ... and it had NGK plugs that I replaced with new NGK plugs..

I’m still not sure what was causing the lack of spark in both plugs... the wiring harness had been chewed up badly by a dog before the riding mower and engine came to me... I had somewhat of a wiring schematic for it, and kept working at identifying and connecting wires.. and finally got spark in one plug...so got the engine started with that cylinder firing ... after a short time the in line tester showed the second plug was being energized ... so still not sure what the problem was... I’ve rebuilt small engines, but this one had me going for a bit..