Which battery for 560D?

I know I posted about the starting issues with my 560 on the other forum. Can't find the info, as that search engine is as useful as a straight boomerang. Can't find it through goggle either. So I figured I'd ask here as the search engine works better & I don't have to worry about checking these boards for a pulse from time to time. Anyhow, the battery that's in there now is a 12v series 65 & would like to go bigger without running twin 6's. Not that I have anything against them, just don't have the funds. Would have waited until another point in time except for the fact this one seems to have sprung a leak. There doesn't seem to be anything rubbing & I'm thinking there was a thin spot in the plastic. Not overcharging either (13.85v WOT) & no caps as it's a sealed battery.

Thanks,

Mike

1 hour ago, kevinj said:

I run one 950 amp grp 31 with stud posts

Napa Bat 7236

That's it. Group 31. Thanks!

Mike

as long as you have a 900-1000 cca battery in there its all good just need  enough to heat the glow plugs and turn it over 3 times.   . well not really need some for the cold weather too. if  a 1000 amp wont start it you have other problems.

41 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I got 2 group 31's stuffed in the tray on mine in parallel.................Man, that thing will start!

I was kind of taken aback. The dealership doesn't carry the group 31's. Could go up in size but not CCA. Thought that to be odd. Say, do you run the modified Navistar glow plugs in yours also? Been thinking about going that route. It was suggested on the other forum by a few guys.

Mike

2 minutes ago, rustred said:

as long as you have a 900-1000 cca battery in there its all good just need  enough to heat the glow plugs and turn it over 3 times.   . well not really need some for the cold weather too. if  a 1000 amp wont start it you have other problems.

Howdy rustred! Went in to exchange the leaker & they don't have anything bigger than the group 65 @ 850 CCA. Whatever the next size up was, just had a bigger case & that was only 800 CCA (guess little orange tractors don't need big batteries?). Opted to stick with the 65 as I was tight on time & don't have the scratch at the moment to run all the way to town to upgrade. Hope I remember to get that done before this fall so I don't have the same issues as last fall. Might even spoil myself with a block or tank heater. Also want to change over to the Navistar glow plugs. Preferably sooner than later.

How's that barn find gem of a 560 of yours? Been putting it to work?

Mike

well just how much cranking is happening before it starts?? when things are in order they are running in 3 turns. so maybe thats why u need strong battery;s  i can warm both my 560's for 30 seconds hit the starter and they are running  3 turns at the most. even can stick a car battery in them and starts the same.

1 minute ago, rustred said:

well just how much cranking is happening before it starts?? when things are in order they are running in 3 turns. so maybe thats why u need strong battery;s  i can warm both my 560's for 30 seconds hit the starter and they are running  3 turns at the most. even can stick a car battery in them and starts the same.

Probably get about 10 revolutions before it chugs to life. Then it seems like another glow plug gave up the ghost, so I'm down to four. That's the reason why I'm thinking about going to the Navistar plugs. I've just about given up on Case & their parts. Has CaseIH been known to have crappy glow plugs to your knowledge?

Mike

2 minutes ago, rustred said:

here you go .

IMG_1560.JPG

Oh is that nice!! How wide is that harrow? Almost looks like a 30'.

Mike

8 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

I was kind of taken aback. The dealership doesn't carry the group 31's. Could go up in size but not CCA. Thought that to be odd. Say, do you run the modified Navistar glow plugs in yours also? Been thinking about going that route. It was suggested on the other forum by a few guys.

Mike

Don't ya have a napa nearby?????? Them big 31 size with ss studs are sold eveywhere around here.

I run diesel rx glow plugs from Gunther Heritage Diesel but you can get them other places.

The trick is to got off the button when the engine fire if you have an alternator on it.

The plugs are good for about 11 volts so the alt will cook them.

• Like 1

Never heard of Gunther Heritage Diesel. Will look them up when I come in for lunch. As for NAPA, there is still one that's local. I'll have to check out their pricing over the weekend.

Mike

7 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Never heard of Gunther Heritage Diesel. Will look them up when I come in for lunch. As for NAPA, there is still one that's local. I'll have to check out their pricing over the weekend.

Mike

He does a lot of the older stuff, he went thru my injectors for me a couple years back.

He goes by injpumped on some of the forums.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Mike

I recently replaced my battery, was just shy of $150.00

I get group 31's from a Cummins, Detroit, Allison authorized truck repair dealer. They are American Batteries. Have 6 here on the farm,2 oldest are 5 years old and going strong.They were cheap $69.95,2 year full warranty and will NEVER go back to a name brand battery no matter who is stamped on it. 

1 hour ago, Jacka said:

I get group 31's from a Cummins, Detroit, Allison authorized truck repair dealer. They are American Batteries. Have 6 here on the farm,2 oldest are 5 years old and going strong.They were cheap $69.95,2 year full warranty and will NEVER go back to a name brand battery no matter who is stamped on it. 

That is a good price. I did not know cummins sold batteries.

The closest one is a 70 mile round trip tho.

3 hours ago, kevinj said:

That is a good price. I did not know cummins sold batteries.

The closest one is a 70 mile round trip tho.

Cummins doesn't I don't think. It's a authorized dealership for those manufacturers. It's large dealership here in PA. But the brand name American is a company I guess that makes batteries. They are really a great battery for the money.There is a starter repair shop near me,he sells deka and he is a iron wheel Mennonite. Deka won't even warranty there batteries in farm tractors at all and in trucks he said is only a year.I told him he is selling them to his iron wheel buddies and how long will they last.He had the audacity to say those American batteries were junk for half the price of his non warranty dekas.I rub it in every time I see him

I don't know of anyone but Deka making batteries here.

I think the NAPA may be Deka also.

The local genny shop sells Deka, never heard anyone say they had warranty issues.

I been getting about 10 years on these high end NAPA batteries so I am good so far!!

I have about 6 to 8 of them from 2 years to about 12.

I think the Road Runner batteries at Fleet & Farm are either East Penn (Deka) or Interstate. They are a fairly long lived battery. Usually get 7 - 8 years out of those. Might have to go that route again as I'm only getting 5 - 6 out of the Ironsides. The only exception is the EE battery on my 806. That's 7 years old & still strong.

Mike

I realize that I am late to this thread, but here is my contribution.

Truck shops seem to have less of a markup on batteries.

My local Mack dealer sells group 31 at half of what the tractor shop wants. It's the  same battery, tractor dealer has fancy label on battery.

Starting batteries are made in only a few manufacturing facilities,  the difference between brands is often just the plastic sticker on the outside.

As for the leaking battery case, Shoo Goo, Goop,  and Sneaker Saver all work wonders on plastic battery cases. The stuff really sticks.

• Like 1