We are kind of dipping our toes in upgrading some of our tractors. We have all 86 series and really like the simplicity of them, but now, I have kids and would like a little better cab, and easier creature comforts for them to come with. Mostly looking for the 130-150hp range for hauling forage boxes, cutting hay, and planting corn. Mfwd isn't a must at the moment, but would be a benefit. I like the durability of the magnum's, but lack of a buddy seat leaves the buddies at home. What are your opinions, repair, coat of ownership, and lastly cab features/seating. 

You can get a buddy seat aftermarket for square body magnums. Or perhaps look into an MX maxxum in the 150 or 170 sizes. I’ve run a couple genesis with both blue and red paint and I have no issues with the mechanics of them, but I don’t think the cabs are as big and I’m not thrilled with the controls.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I thought the maxxum had some troubles? Found a decent one with 7900hrs, and is pretty decent overall. 

MX series maxxums ( MX 135, MX 150, MX 170) were pretty bulletproof themselves. While not quite as bulletproof as a boxcar Magnum. They held their own from what I've read and heard. The MXM series is where the problem arises 

• Thanks 1

A MX150/170 is hard to beat for your app.  Pretty simple and nice to use.  14000 hr on my mx170

A 71xx magnum is a step up too from a 86 and reasonable price.  Get one with 8000-12000 hr and youll get alot of life.  Maj of parts are not CIH specific.  MX are having internal trans parts becoming NLA fyi but we've never needed any

• Thanks 1

Our closest dealer is a new Holland dealer, about fifteen minutes away. Case ih is over an hour. I remember when I was younger the manure applicators all run NH. They bought the genesis 8770 and a 8970. I always thought they looked nice, and the cab was decent. Do they have a buddy seat? 

I'm not trying to be an askhole, just want all angles here. I appreciate the comments and such. 

Well, that narrows down the choices in blue. The only Genesis with 2-speed Pto was the baby, the 8670. 

Also, swapping Pto shafts on a Genesis is a little more involved that flipping a shaft. Had to change the rear cover when you changed speeds. If you didn’t do it right, a gear would fall down in the rear end, requiring removal of the rear cover to put it back in place. Not exactly user friendly. 

• Confused 1

On the mx series, I see they use a 5.9 Cummins?? How is the torque compared to the old dt series? I would think there would be a lot of difference?

Genesis tractors are pretty well regarded overall. Seems the biggest pain is rear remotes needing a chunk of money spent on them periodically. 

The MX150/170 would fill your needs.  They are a partial power shift which may or may not be better than a full power shift, depends on your particular jobs for that tractor and personal preference. They are a considerably handier tractor than a Classic Magnum but I’m convinced they cost more to own. Buddy seats are not factory in them on NA models. Some Euros have them. Not the easiest to add one as the park brake is on the left side of the seat.  A problem I foresee with these two models is transmission parts going NLA on them as they were two of a kind in the CIH lineup. They share clutch plates with the smaller MX Maxxums but much of the other drive train parts are heavier. My advice would be to consider the smaller second generation MX Magnums. Not a lot more money than the MX150/170, should be about as handy, more power, buddy seats, lot more of them to pick from and parts support should be better long term. 

3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Genesis tractors are pretty well regarded overall. Seems the biggest pain is rear remotes needing a chunk of money spent on them periodically. 

The MX150/170 would fill your needs.  They are a partial power shift which may or may not be better than a full power shift, depends on your particular jobs for that tractor and personal preference. They are a considerably handier tractor than a Classic Magnum but I’m convinced they cost more to own. Buddy seats are not factory in them on NA models. Some Euros have them. Not the easiest to add one as the park brake is on the left side of the seat.  A problem I foresee with these two models is transmission parts going NLA on them as they were two of a kind in the CIH lineup. They share clutch plates with the smaller MX Maxxums but much of the other drive train parts are heavier. My advice would be to consider the smaller second generation MX Magnums. Not a lot more money than the MX150/170, should be about as handy, more power, buddy seats, lot more of them to pick from and parts support should be better long term. 

Second generation mx Magnum?? I'm not up to par much for the newer stuff. Pretty much know the 71xx 72xx etc as the magnum's. The "box cars". 

6 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

On the mx series, I see they use a 5.9 Cummins?? How is the torque compared to the old dt series? I would think there would be a lot of difference?

All the MX Maxxums have the CDC 5.9. In my experience they pull right with the IH DTs all else being equal. If anything, the aneroid on the MX135/150/170 can hold them back when trying to come off the low end if it is not adjusted properly. 

3 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

Second generation mx Magnum?? I'm not up to par much for the newer stuff. Pretty much know the 71xx 72xx etc as the magnum's. The "box cars". 

Read this thread. Lots of good information. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the link, I found it informative. It seems like the smaller of the second gen magnum's are still rather quite large in the size. Our 86 series are compact for the hp, one nice thing about them. I am looking I guess in that area too as we don't have a huge yard, but it is big compared to some. I like the size of the original mx series compared to the Magnum mx series. The other nice thing about the box car styling is the compact size to the hp ratings. That was one thing I did like about the new Holland tractors too. 

I like the size/looks and features of the mx150-170 series tractor's. They seem to scratch the itch, and still have the compact design, but decent enough hp for their size. Seems like they come in good regards on here??

• Like 1

I also kike the switchable pto, tactile lever style hydro controls, and the cab layout seems decent enough, although I read buddy seats are hard to install? Fuel is nice as you can fill from the ground, cab entry is nice, and I like the Cummins engine, easy to get parts for, cheap to fix, unless the block gets damaged. One nice thing about the box cars, sleeves in the cylinders. 

• Like 1

The 540/1000 arrangement on the MX Maxxums (and the preceding 5000 series Maxxums) leaves something to be desired. Takes a pliers of some sort and some fumbling to change speeds. What’s worse, the components in the two speed that shift between the speeds are failure prone. The MX150/170 have a pto housing like the older IH and the Magnums and isn’t too bad to remove, unlike the smaller Maxxums whose pto housing is some sort of a cruel joke by engineers on mechanics. Another irritation is that the reversible pto stub tends to be slightly loose in its receptacle; this tends to aggravate vibration when combined with a CV pto that isn’t as tight as new. 

These are not debilitating problems but they are drawbacks that other tractors might not have.  Mainly this affects Maxxums that see heavy pto use. 

I own the three big MX Maxxum models and like them as for the most part they are near enough perfect for what I need in a tractor as far as performance characteristics. 

62F49EBB-0FE1-42FE-9CCF-1A6CDE218099.jpeg

• Like 2

The buddy seat idea in older tractors is a pretty popular subject. 

• Like 2

What about on the blue side of the fence? Looking into tractors of the same era and h.p. ratings, they seem pretty comparable. Are parts becoming hard to buy for them?

Mainly the NH 6050's or bigger. 

They seems to have all the ticks in the boxes, buddy seat, 540/1000, smaller compact size, very nice looking interiors. Not so much tactile style feeling levers, but closer than just a switch. 

FWIW......

I have a buddy seat in my mx170.  Put in last year.  Took it out of my mccormick 135 before we sold it.  (Same tractor dif shade of red as a MX)  No problem at all.  Haaard to mark holes to drill for bolts.  Angles all over but just took coupke hrs and naughty words.  Like i said 1 thing nice about classic magnums is nearlyeverything's available at a parts store or salvage yard and aftermarket nowdays.  Pretty rare qe need dealer for them. 

We turned up our mx170 along time ago.  170 pto.  Tech said timing and i am not versed enough to explain.  But wow that woke her up.  Great size and good cab/hvac

• Thanks 1

Regarding the newer blue side . . . I owned a New Holland TM120 for 3 years. Nice enough tractor to operate. Cab is outdated and louder inside compared to an MX. Wiring was cheap and trouble prone. Over all tractor is built cheaper than the MXs. Looking up parts for it was a nightmare between the Euro/NH method of classification and the host of different options and the serial number breaks. Newer models might be better to own. CIH MXM is the same as TM, Puma and Maxxum (2008-) are evolutions of the TM/MXM line; not sure just which blue lines came from the TM line. My thought at this point is that I will look at something non CNH before I buy a decedent of the TM/MXM. 

• Thanks 1

If I get one without a buddy seat, then overall I'm not going to complain about putting one in as long as the tractor itself is much better than the benefit of buying one with. We have 11 tractors over all and are thinking about trading them all in for four or five nice used ones. 

Not sure how new you want to go, but I might suggest the T7000 series blue ones...built from about 2007-2010. They still basically build the same tractor today as the T7 series. The T7000s had the 6.7L electronic engine, which is just an updated 5.9L on steroids with pretty reliable electronics. No DEF on the T7000s. Much better cab than the previous TM/MXMs. Flip-shaft 540/1000 PTO. Remote valves could either be mechanical(cable control) or electronic. Transmission choices would primarily be full powershift(PowerCommand in NH lingo) or CVT(AutoCommand in NH lingo). Both are good choices. Could have the mid-mount remotes for loader joystick control. T7030 and T7040 would about be the size you would want. 

More or less the same thing as a red Puma of that vintage.

• Like 1