Hydraulic suction screen 8940 Magnum

ThirdGenRed

I was changing hydraulic fluid and filters on the 8940 and pulled the hydraulic suction screen to clean it and reinstall. The flat o-ring 1342641C1, was glued onto the backside of the plastic shroud 1348337C1 toward the inside of the tractor, and the exploded parts diagram shows it being between the shroud and the screen 1348335C1. Which way is correct? With it on the backside, it seems like the shroud and screen is constantly trying to fall out when I'm putting the base/cover 1342139C1 back on. Is there some tricks to putting it on and lining up the plastic shroud pin? My manual just shows pictures and says to line up the pin when putting the base/cover back on. It's late, I'm tired, maybe I'm just not thinking about this right. I appreciate any advice, thanks.

I am pretty sure the oring goes on closest to the transmission, then the plastic, then the metal screen, then the outer casting. I just did our 270 and I see someone cut the plastic line up pin off it and that made it a treat to line up

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThirdGenRed said:

I was changing hydraulic fluid and filters on the 8940 and pulled the hydraulic suction screen to clean it and reinstall. The flat o-ring 1342641C1, was glued onto the backside of the plastic shroud 1348337C1 toward the inside of the tractor, and the exploded parts diagram shows it being between the shroud and the screen 1348335C1. Which way is correct? With it on the backside, it seems like the shroud and screen is constantly trying to fall out when I'm putting the base/cover 1342139C1 back on. Is there some tricks to putting it on and lining up the plastic shroud pin? My manual just shows pictures and says to line up the pin when putting the base/cover back on. It's late, I'm tired, maybe I'm just not thinking about this right. I appreciate any advice, thanks.

The seal ring is on the back (transmission) side of the plastic shroud. I use 3M weatherstrip adhesive, black, to adhere the seal to the plastic shroud. 

Installing the housing, screen and shroud can be a bit of a challenge. Kind of like backing a trailer into a tough spot, it goes better if no one is watching you.
I use a grease on the gasket to stick it to the transmission housing. Then I align the screen and shroud on the back of the iron suction housing, hold it together with my fingers and put it in place. Make sure the bolts, and an alignment punch, are where you can reach them while holding the housing against the transmission. I find it easier to lay directly on the floor instead of on a creeper. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you bitty and Maynard, I removed the aux filter, but not the filter head and was trying to work with the filter head still there. I removed it fine that way, but fought it until it beat me and I posted on here and went to bed. They use dust control on our limestone roads here and even though I try to keep it clean it must have corroded somewhat and stuck both the swivel nuts on the hydraulic lines and made the removal of the filter head quite a task. Once the filter head was removed I did it just like Maynard's method and it went together fine. They really should have had fasteners to hold the screen and shroud to the cover so it would install easier, I've done it before on another tractor a while back, but didn't fight it like this one, maybe I am getting old and not as flexible as I used to be. LOL!

With no-till, and no hay anymore, we don't put a lot of hours on the tractors, so we don't have to change very often. Last night I couldn't keep the screen and shroud in the tractor when installing the cover like the book showed, so I looked online at the exploded parts diagram and saw the flat o-ring between the screen and the shroud and then started second guessing myself, was sure glad to have both you guys respond, thanks again!!

• Like 1