Memphis Bridge Closed

Delta88

2 minutes ago, mmi said:

yes exploiting a faux crisis

Did a good job today driving grain prices down it seems. 

1 hour ago, Missouri Mule said:

A couple 2x10's And some big zip ties it should be good for service. You know until they get around to it. ?

1 hour ago, 1965Dennis said:

Duct tape and baling wire, covered with JB Weld and paint it. Good to go.

Both wrong, C clamps and ratchet straps are the way to go. 

Posted this pic of a crude fix it job on a railroad bridge near me about 2 years ago. 

bridge-1.jpg

• Like 1

Bitty, you and AK meet me there Monday and we should have this done by Thursday or Friday.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Finney said:

Bitty, you and AK meet me there Monday and we should have this done by Thursday or Friday.

That is probably the best fix that I have heard of yet!!!

Speaking of temporary railroad bridge repairs, here is one that I spotted this past winter:

2FA7EC10-538E-4FE6-A525-E62CF1FA48E0.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Finney said:

High low didn’t look to bad,  better then most.  

wire of stick?

• Haha 1

40 years ago a friend had a strange welding job. He was put in a harness and lowered over the side (forgot what) and had to  weld up something while suspended. Heard the story many times. Thx-Ace 

11 hours ago, Finney said:

Fair enough, boys.  I trust y'all to fix it better than anyone could...but how in the devil are going to jack that beam up a few inches to get er lined back up?!

On 5/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, MTO said:

Shoot, that ain`t nuthin!

Our bridge was only 5 months old and it broke!

10 ft high 3 inch thick girder broke top to bottom!

https://www.wpxi.com/archive/this-day-january-28-1977-massive-crack-threatens-i-79-glenfield-bridge-with-collapse/M3674VPOONDA5CTTFXJQ5TZ7VQ/

Same day Freddy Prinze killed himself!

48 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Fair enough, boys.  I trust y'all to fix it better than anyone could...but how in the devil are going to jack that beam up a few inches to get er lined back up?!

A sky hook   :lol:

Mike

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Dog and wedge and a BFH.

4 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Have you seen the fixtures that Finney has made to use with a portapower????

18 hours ago, AKwelder said:

High low didn’t look to bad,  better then most.  

wire of stick?

How about 8010 & 11018 or we could use XLR8.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Heat and hydraulics!!!!!!!!!!!!

13 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Interesting concept, I never worried to much about lining stuff like that back up. No belt, chain, or power shaft alinments involved. Just plate it up tied back together so it dont move any more. Take the "step" out up top with a  load of asphalt and let the 18 wheelers roll it out.

On 5/12/2021 at 10:17 PM, TP from Central PA said:

The pictures I seen of the crack, I have to wonder if the inspectors were out for coffee at the inspections.................I can't imagine that crack just happening over-night, didn't look big in the picture, but I imagine that piece of steel has size to it the picture does not show.

One of the articles said the bridge was last expected in Sept. Federal regs require inspections every 24 months (I was responsible for the bridge inspection in our county for 40 years ).  Accelerated inspection intervals mean there's an issue or issues they are watching.  It's a big bridge with lots of members that require hands on inspection.