Memphis Bridge Closed

Delta88

Just a warning in case any forum members are trucking and traveling through Memphis or West Memphis. Our main 40/I 240 bridge is closed. Only the south bridge is open. Considering West Memphis is one of the busiest trucking routes in the County things are getting chaotic here. Major structural crack found; TDOT and ARDOT saying it could be closed for over a month. 

• Like 1

The pictures I seen of the crack, I have to wonder if the inspectors were out for coffee at the inspections.................I can't imagine that crack just happening over-night, didn't look big in the picture, but I imagine that piece of steel has size to it the picture does not show.

• Like 1

I remember when the bridge on I-64 between  Louisville and Indiana closed for same kinda deal.

if I remember right both states offered a per day reward for finishing ahead of schedule to get it open again.

like 100 grand a day or something along those lines

• Like 1

Nothing Finney and Bitty couldn't handle in a couple hrs. Fuel up the portables and throw some old scraps of steel in the truck  and head to the big muddy !

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Brage traffic will be shut down for days at least!

That is major.

Can they reroute all that barge traffic down the Tennessee/Tombigbee???

Thx-Ace 

Wow that jist didnt HAPPEN.  You can see the red rust in crack before it broke.  Some 6'x6' fish plates and lets get it going

• Like 1

There was a bridge study that was done way back in the 1970's across the country by the US Department of Transportation. The report was shocking to say the least with some 70% of the bridges being rated as needing repair to reclassed to a lower max weight rating. One bridge over which I traveled daily went from 10 tons to 5. That bridge was still there, still rated at 5 tons in 1997. Thing is so many bridges need work and so many are on either interstate highways or designated military routes when means that so much of the monies needed are federal dollars. Heck they can't even pay for decent inspections much less repairs or replacements. At least this one was discovered before anyone died. Our dams are in the same kinda shape. No one talks about what what will happen if a dam collapses. It will kill far more people that a bridge collapsing.

RIck

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

She didnt quite grasp the situation 

I noticed the same thing. She didn't have the advantage of already knowing the context like I did. He was a bit hyper and it's a highly out of the ordinary call.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldtanker said:

There was a bridge study that was done way back in the 1970's across the country by the US Department of Transportation. The report was shocking to say the least with some 70% of the bridges being rated as needing repair to reclassed to a lower max weight rating. One bridge over which I traveled daily went from 10 tons to 5. That bridge was still there, still rated at 5 tons in 1997. Thing is so many bridges need work and so many are on either interstate highways or designated military routes when means that so much of the monies needed are federal dollars. Heck they can't even pay for decent inspections much less repairs or replacements. At least this one was discovered before anyone died. Our dams are in the same kinda shape. No one talks about what what will happen if a dam collapses. It will kill far more people that a bridge collapsing.

RIck

plenty of embezzled funds, stop GIVING to everyone esp not in USA ,and define this as INFRASTRUCTURE  ,however to not waste it.....something/many items will now be obstructed and in $$$$ short supply......most likely c chips! and gasoline

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acem said:

Brage traffic will be shut down for days at least!

I don't quite understand stopping the barges. It's obviously been broken for at least some time and didn't fall with heavy truck traffic transiting it. Why should it fall with no traffic? Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, Adam - NC said:

items.[0].image.alt

I wonder if the hanger cable above the crack failed too.

the rivited junction looks like it droped an inch or two.

Mike

20 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I don't quite understand stopping the barges. It's obviously been broken for at least some time and didn't fall with heavy truck traffic transiting it. Why should it fall with no traffic? Am I missing something?

yes exploiting a faux crisis