Chastised for bad behavior in another forum

oldfarmkid

I belong to another forum, working on restoration of a 97 year old battery powered A.M. radio. Info is sparse and age has removed all traces of color codes in the cloth wire covering. Had a gentleman who kind of helped with information I was asking for, but never really helped. I finally asked, very kindly for detailed information. He then responded in a manner that resembles what I have seen members get warnings for, on this forum. I let things go for a few days then responded that I thought the chastisement, ridicule, and tone were uncalled for.

I then asked a question. Of all the people that had followed my post why were they following it. I really just wanted to know.  I also made the statement to feel free to post whatever you want. but if your replies are not in the spirit of helpfulness and respect, in my little world, you don't count.  In very short order a board administrator posted I had misunderstood the reply. Was then told it's not easy to see helpfulness or attempts at humor in a post. Followed by a chastisement to keep my post interesting, and to stop derailing my own, once interesting post.

So.... I know we at times get frustrated with our own administrators. But sure wish I had one from here, over there. Seems I was out of line just mildly defending myself. Heii's bells it's just an old radio. 

Take Care       

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Every one takes offense to everything these days . It goes off me like water off a duck . If I were to get banned off a forum I wouldn’t loose even a fraction of a wink of sleep over it. 

• Like 7

That is too bad, the whole point of these is for folks to have a source of knowledge, some take things way too seriously 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Every one takes offense to everything these days . It goes off me like water off a duck . If I were to get banned off a forum I wouldn’t loose even a fraction of a wink of sleep over it. 

You offend me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The red power forum and the smith and Wesson forum are the two I type on, I have said it before that I enjoy the banter here and not having any knowledge of farming or ranching or tractors I read a lot and talk where I can, it is with great rarity that I see a post like “ I like white cars “ and then a post of “I hate white cars and peeps are stoopid who do” my point being on the saw forum there are posts like that, if someone does that I ask why the devil are you even typing here it’s not thread for you, not very often do I get a response on stupidity, Lo is right, peeps get disjointed way to easy these daze, don’t let them bug you, and don’t try to argue with an azzhat, they’re way to experienced at being stoopid.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, oldfarmkid said:

Heii's bells it's just an old radio.

Exactly. That's why I fail to see the point in getting worked up over replies that don't answer the exact question that was asked. Let the blowhards blow. Thread drift is the rule, not the exception. Trying to forcibly keep a thread on topic is like trying to herd cats and just makes you look like the jerk.

...and sometimes, nobody on the forum has the exact answer you need...

• Like 2

Could be a mix of many things.

Sometimes the spoken word does not translate well into written one and tone and visual cues aren't there to help see how the words are being spoken versus being read, so people can get upset by what they think is being said versus what was intended. 

Sometimes people can offer zero help but want to see what the answer is. 

Sometimes people are zero help but insist they are the expert. I can remember being told something blatantly incorrect and easy to prove wrong, but no way would the "expert" admit they were wrong. 

• Like 3

well heck, maybe you should have asked them waht is the best oil to use on your wiring - nothing like a good oil thread to get things fired up

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

It is kind of like the people who respond to a question on Amazon or another shopping site with "I don't know, I haven' t tried it yet" or something like that.  That drives me nuts!  If you don't like the question or don't know the answer, move on!  Don't waste everyone's time and space by saying you don't know or giving them crap about asking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldfarmkid said:

I know, your right lorenzo. Just get tired of folks believing being mouthy is the same as being intelligent or tough. Now where did I set down my salted caramel, sugar free, mocha, latte.

You left it sitting on the roof of your Tesla battery rocket. ;v)

Speaking of.... What do you call a stolen Tesla??

A: An Einstein!

Mike

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

It is kind of like the people who respond to a question on Amazon or another shopping site with "I don't know, I haven' t tried it yet" or something like that.  That drives me nuts!  If you don't like the question or don't know the answer, move on!  Don't waste everyone's time and space by saying you don't know or giving them crap about asking!

That aggravates me too. Found out, that by posting tons of answers..... no matter if they're accurate/relevant or not, that person is increasing their "reviewer credibility". I'd like to be kidding....

Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Mike

Maybe a better answer would be "An Edison".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Owen Aaland said:

Shoot! You are correct. I did mess that up. Edison treated Tesla.... & Steinmetz to an extent, like redheaded stepchildren. Einstein stole much of his work from Henri Poincaré.

Mike

• Like 1

A stolen Tesla sometimes means the owner is upside down in the payments so they take it to a quite parking lot , light it of fire , phone it in stolen . Call the insurance company .  Another Tesla burnt up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I agree, these are people who lack the cognitive function to realize it's an automated email sent to many people, not them personally.

Their response makes sense if two people were talking and one asked "how's the new thing work?" the other would answer "Don't know, haven't tried it yet" as a natural flow of conversation, but is pointless in the context they have been asked for feedback.

The same people "rate" places one star on google maps and post "don't know, just drove by" because their phone told google they were at or near the business and asked them to rate their experience.  

• Like 1

This is phunny, the other site I mentioned had a thread this morning that got a: snotty responses      

b: snotty advice

On top of that a reprimand from a mod, the thread was then locked, all this about a USPS delivery screw-up and the resulting comments, this all on one three hour thread.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Oh, you'd miss us, though...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Oh, you'd miss us, though...

He doesn’t mean this one, I would say a Facebook/Twitter style rathole forum of moron know duck alls!

I think!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Absent Minded Farmer said:

Mike

Where is the section for groaner jokes????

6 hours ago, Owen Aaland said:

I got the jist of what he meant, but could not figure out why Einstein was not quite right.  Too many hours with the fire department for me lately.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

well heck, maybe you should have asked them waht is the best oil to use on your wiring - nothing like a good oil thread to get things fired up

Duh, HELLO!!!

Everybody knows that Yellow Wonder Bucket Fluid is the BESTEST oil for your wiring!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

Where is the section for groaner jokes????

I got the jist of what he meant, but could not figure out why Einstein was not quite right.  Too many hours with the fire department for me lately.

Yeah, I was in a hurry stuffing my puss & suffering from cerebral flattus. It happens. :vD

Mike

• Like 1

I have sadly been brushed off by 2/3erd of the people I knew 3 years ago because they decided it was there way or the highway. I gave up feeling like the bad guy in their eyes. It's ashame that people have become so arrogant that they would rather take there knowledge or skills rather than help someone in there community in need. All I know is to try my best to help whoever whenever I can do that's how I live my life because everyone gets what they deserve in the end. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Youngred2000 said:

I have sadly been brushed off by 2/3erd of the people I knew 3 years ago because they decided it was there way or the highway. I gave up feeling like the bad guy in their eyes. It's ashame that people have become so arrogant that they would rather take there knowledge or skills rather than help someone in there community in need. All I know is to try my best to help whoever whenever I can do that's how I live my life because everyone gets what they deserve in the end. 

+ 2

since I became elderly ( according to everyone’s feeling not mine) people figure I’m hi-worthy but dats dat, as per another thread from last weekend, a few years ago I said screw it, now I’m just the miserable old pr*ck who never talks to anyone, maybe on the outside but inside I’m Barnum and Bailey.

• Like 1