Tips on flushing cooling system after oil cooler failure

I used water and Dawn dish soap, was on the third time when I pulled in for the day and needed to get to get to a kids baseball game, so I didn't get it drained and it got down to 15 degrees that night in May in Iowa.  Goodbye engine block.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Use cascade soap, dawn foams too much. 

X2

I hook my stream cleaner up to the engine block drain plug and take the radiator cap off and then reverse flush it out the top of the radiator WHILE the engine is running.  No soap needed. 

I actually made an adapter for the radiator neck so I can use a short hose to direct it away from the tractor, although this is not necessary,  it keeps the fan from sucking the discharged water into the front of the radiator. 

• Like 2

I tried dish soap and didn’t get very good results after I had an oil cooler failure. It just didn’t seem like it would cut that stuff.  My dealer stocks some stuff made by Fleetguard that one of the techs recommended. It came in gallon jugs. My radiator looked like a real mess, even after a couple of tries with dish soap. Probably yours does too. It took a couple of tries with the Fleetguard stuff as well, but I thought it worked really well. It’s probably been three or four years since I flushed it out. No problem since. 

Use automatic dishwasher soap. It cuts grease but doesn't foam. 

Drain the coolant, add water and soap (enough for a few loads in the washer). Start the engine and run until it reaches operating temperature and the coolant is circulating. Run for several minutes then shut off. Drain water when cool. Flush with water. 

Repeat the process until the oil is gone, at least three times. Inspect the radiator and coolant system.

When you are satisfied it's clean Flush the system a few times to remove all the soap residue. Fill with coolant and replace the filter/conditioner.

A friend who is an oil field mechanic taught me that method. You wouldn't believe the stuff that gets in the coolant systems in the oil patch!

Thx-Ace 

• Like 2

If you have a dairy around, see if you can pilfer a cup of the detergent cleaner they use for washing the milking system.  That stuff will dissolve oil and grease better than anything else I have ever seen.

Any Electric dishwasher soap should go easier in the "sudsing" category

10 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Use cascade soap, dawn foams too much. 

My 1486 did that at corn chopping time. Just filled er up with soft water and chopped till noon, opened drains, ate lunch, filled er up again. Repeat at end of day. Did this at lunch and end of day for 3 or 4 days. Clear water with no "gray goop" the last couple times. All OK

12 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I tried dish soap and didn’t get very good results after I had an oil cooler failure. It just didn’t seem like it would cut that stuff.  My dealer stocks some stuff made by Fleetguard that one of the techs recommended. It came in gallon jugs. My radiator looked like a real mess, even after a couple of tries with dish soap. Probably yours does too. It took a couple of tries with the Fleetguard stuff as well, but I thought it worked really well. It’s probably been three or four years since I flushed it out. No problem since. 

X2 on fleetguard restore.  If they are really bad it takes a few cycles to get them clean.  Any truck dealer that can sell you Cummins parts can get it for you.  We made an adapter for our high pressure hot water washer to thread into block drain.  Turn washer on till water comes out top then run engine for a while.  This will float a lot of oil out that is stuck in the top of radiator.