McCormick grain drill

Mike H

Picked up a McCormick drill this weekend. [10']

has the grass seed box and is in decent shape.

the question is......

were do I start looking for info on setting the feed rates.

or do the trial and error on the drive way with chicken feed [the chickens can clean up the feed]

Mike

2 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Picked up a McCormick drill this weekend. [10']

has the grass seed box and is in decent shape.

the question is......

were do I start looking for info on setting the feed rates.

or do the trial and error on the drive way with chicken feed [the chickens can clean up the feed]

Mike

IH used the McCormick name into the 1960's so I am not sure how old or what model you are talking about.  Once a model number is nailed down I would bet that you could find a manual on eBay.  

• Thanks 1

The manual on those older drills regarding the feed settings is a bit of trial and error. Controlled spill. I bought my low tire Mccormick 25 or so years ago for oats. My goal was 3bpa. The manual and the feed gate lever list oats in pecks per acre. My first year owning it I did the pecks to bushels math. The setting should have been on 12 pecks per acre. Wow did I put on the oats! Since then the setting is around 7 to get 3bpa. once you learn your drill to can get close. I drilled in some odd ball pasture mixture for a neighbors 22 acres. Looked like a variety of beans. After some penciling and knowing my drill, I had a coffee can worth of seed left when done.

What are you going to drill? I could make some copied from my manual. On a side note. Do not use grease in the disc openers. I use corn head or EPO grease. They actually called for a heavy weight oil Try and keep that in a grease gun.

• Thanks 1

00000_39oXj80voidz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

it looks like this one....... IH number 10

only a lot less paint

Mike

Thats the one I have. Also a lot less paint. mine has the hydraulic lift kit and I added markers off a 5100 white planter.