Look what I found yesterday

searcyfarms

Was visiting my cousin up at farm after working on batwing and I saw these in cedar tree in fence row - he has two hives of his own so we ran to house/barn and got parts n pieces and gave them a new home!!! 

IMG_06431.jpg

IMG_06421.jpg

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

Have found 3-4 of them in the last 5 years or so. Call a local to come get them normally. Good for you. It can be awkward getting them into a hive from what I’ve watched. 

• Like 1

So, now us uninformed need the story of how you get them in a hive and do they stay in there? My Grandpa had bees but they were gone by the time I can remember. Cousin is big into them but I know nothing about them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it went like this............cousin retired two yrs ago, he has gotten into bees - has two hives, he was showing me them and when we drove back up the fence ( you can see his two hives in background ) I said hey whats that big thing in your cedar tree, he stops ranger, says oh my gosh that is a swarm of bees, so i said we better get the heck outa here, he says naaa itll be fine - Uh yea right ( this was my first bee experience ) up close and personal was a little scary for me. So we high tail it to barn in ranger and get parts/pieces of hive, holler at the gals, they come out, we load up and head back down there with the loppers and bee bonnetts and i lopped off teh tree and he smacked the stump against the new bee box/frames and they instantly fell onto it and then starting crawling into the cracks between the frames. It was very cool to see/watch. 

We got them settled in and they seem to be fine today he said. I guess they were finding a new home for their queen and the scouts had not come back with a suitable place for them to move to yet and I just happened to see them when we drove by. Dumb luck is all it was 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan Dinan said:

Regular honey bees, I guess? Good job!! I have a neighbor that I call, when I find a hive. 

i guess they were regular, i didnt ask, i was a lil nervous around them but they were really very calm i was surprised i dont think i even had one land on me 

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

So, now us uninformed need the story of how you get them in a hive and do they stay in there? My Grandpa had bees but they were gone by the time I can remember. Cousin is big into them but I know nothing about them. 

i guess they stay with the queen, for whatever reason as long as she likes their new home they will stay with her and they went right in there. we did add some lemongrass oil on qtips inside,  i guess its the pheromone simulator of a queen but she was with them he said because they ran right into the hive and were trying to protect her

• Thanks 1

That’s way cool.  We miss out on swarms because we are so far north.

about swarms, a bee colony gets ready to expand in the spring, the workers start scouting a place.  Then the workers fill in the area the queen is laying with stores and she lays less and losses weight. Finally they take some of the few eggs she is laying and start new queens cells, and a bunch of bees and the queen go find a new home while the old colony hatches a new queen and continues on. 

it’s a great way to start a new colony and expand your apiary 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AKwelder said:

That’s way cool.  We miss out on swarms because we are so far north.

about swarms, a bee colony gets ready to expand in the spring, the workers start scouting a place.  Then the workers fill in the area the queen is laying with stores and she lays less and losses weight. Finally they take some of the few eggs she is laying and start new queens cells, and a bunch of bees and the queen go find a new home while the old colony hatches a new queen and continues on. 

it’s a great way to start a new colony and expand your apiary 

interesting, i know there is way more to this story than my lil lack of knowledge brain has any clue of so thanks for the info - i cant eat honey, well i choose not to, some pollen in some batches/brands causes my body to react and my middle ear swells and i get dizzy and cant walk, it lasts for about 5 to 7 days and i finally gradually get my balance back, the first couple days im so sick/dizzy i cant do anything but crawl around, it took us about 15 yrs to figure out what it was causing it. It usually hits me around 15 minutes after ingestion, bbq sauce, breads, anything with it in there will cause me the same reaction. 

Have had lot of swarms in my yard over the years several old oaks with hollow limbs and wood pecker whole. Have had 6 or more hives in the trees at one time. Been talked into helping catch swarms and put in a box. Never been stung so far. The experts always tell me the bees load up on honey from the old hive before leaving so they can last a day or 2 before starting the new hive. Something about this carrying honey keeps them from stinging.

One swarm over 30 feet up hanging on a branch. The guy that wanted them rigged up a aluminum pole and a shop vac and sucked them up. He claimed it worked and the bees where Ok but I don't really know.

I found this beard last Spring. My neighbor who keeps bees came up and got them. He just brought a large plastic storage container and dropped them in and placed them in a hive on his farm. They are a active colony now.

IMG_1334.thumb.jpeg.931adbc11ca8b560853f476e5860ba5d.jpeg