IH 544 repower cummins B3.3 planning

Good morning All,

Looking to pull in anyone's experience or thoughts so I can catch some of the details earlier on in the process. 

I have a IH 544. It's a really nice sized around the yard tractor, has an IH 2000 loader on it and I really enjoy the tractor for the most part. Other than the fact it has the gutless c200 and the engine is getting pretty tired. I.e. I have to feather the clutch in 4th at times to keep from killing it. (Loaded tires)

I know my value would be in just getting a new tractor, but I love projects for the sake of the project, so I want to repower this tractor. I found a rebuilt, still on the stand, cummins b3.3 locally a couple years back and thought it would make a great power plant for this tractor. It's a fully mechanical engine with an inline pump, so should be good to go.

Just got in contact with Ed Leaman for an adaptor and flywheel. He mentioned a remote oil filter is needed so I have that on the list. 

Not positive if I'll be able to use the stock starter, will find that out as we go.

Looks like there should be plenty of space based on my measurements between the rails and between the bell housing and radiator

Beyond that there will be fabrication and modifications for motor mounts, linkages, wiring updates, etc.

How about fuel tank, any major modifications for going to diesel? Is a fuel pump going to be needed? I'm assuming gravity should be enough for this application.

Any other major items in overlooking? 

Thanks!

Greg

• Like 1

You will need to add a return back into the top of the fuel tank, but that is not too difficult. You will need to plumb in fuel filters. The diesel 544 machines were gravity fed, so you should be okay.

• Thanks 1

200 not gutless----got one in my 574! great little motor!

1 hour ago, SONNY said:

Well, maybe they made some changes in the 5-10 years between the models, maybe the transmission differences, and maybe mines just that tired, but with loaded rears if I have a load in the bucket I can barely get moving in 4th. Also burns gas pretty quickly if I'm needing some HP (running the tiller for instance).

Now raking hay it isn't too bad, and if I wasn't weighted I could see it being a peppier engine. 

But it's on its last legs and I would rather have a diesel.

3 hours ago, SONNY said:

My understanding is they're not the same engine.

I know the 544 gas had a bad reputation around here as "gutless." You ask any old farmer about the 544, and that's the first word out of their mouth.

Could be different motor---- the 574 motor is a 560 with the 2 back cylinders cut off and counter weights added to the crankshaft. I am currently putting one back together to go in another 574 that was given to me after they put a rod thru the block ----- these guys had NO business being anywhere near  ANYTHING with a motor in it! This one is going to be a treat to get straightened up again ---shifter levers are really bad from them jerking on them but I can get buy with it for my use!

Good luck on your conversion and I hope it turns out well for you!

8 hours ago, SONNY said:

Could be different motor---- the 574 motor is a 560 with the 2 back cylinders cut off and counter weights added to the crankshaft. I am currently putting one back together to go in another 574 that was given to me after they put a rod thru the block ----- these guys had NO business being anywhere near  ANYTHING with a motor in it! This one is going to be a treat to get straightened up again ---shifter levers are really bad from them jerking on them but I can get buy with it for my use!

Good luck on your conversion and I hope it turns out well for you!

The C-200 in a 544 is a C-301 (806 gas) with two cylinders missing. Dad has one that be bought new. A 656 would outwork it climbing a hill with a manure spreader, but oddly enough I could snuff a couple different 656s grinding ear corn but the 544 never gave up and would torque through!

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 9:26 PM, acem said:

Does your 4cyl Cummins have  ballance shafts?

I guess I'm not positive, but as I understand it the 3.3 is relatively well balanced in comparison to the 4bt. Maybe I'll try and test fire it on the stand and make sure it doesnt dance away.

• 2 months later...

We had a 3.3 on a leaf collector that was hard mounted. The high frequency vibration literally sawed the fenders, radiator support and exhaust in two if it was run over about 2200 rpm. We have the same motor on a Vermeer chipper that is mounted on rubber isolators. It has sawed little things like the air cleaner bracket and started some cracks in the frame, but has been much better. It will be interesting to see what experience you have with it in a tractor.