Cab swap Loadstar

Bryan Russo

I have a 71 loadstar 1600. 345, 5+2. I also have a 1993 4700. I would like to swap the 71 cab onto the 93 chassis. Has anyone done this? I want the old look with the modern driveability of the newer chassis. I dont want to do a bunch of work to realize it looks like it doesnt belong (tires and fenders out of align, things like that.) I have no problem putting a dog house the cab, I just want it to look correct from the outside. Also will the butterfly hood clear the DT466? Any info is helpful thanks.

You can answer much of the question yourself with a tape measure. Is the track the same on both trucks? Then on the side view, measure from the center of the fender to the back of the cab. Place this measurement on the center of the front tire on the ‘93. From this you can see where the shifter comes through the floor, whether or not you need a dog house. If you really want the butterfly hood, remember that they are not the most maintenance-friendly configuration. Need to make some quick change inner fenders or something to gain easier access to the to the turbo, oil cooler and injector pump, so it can be worked on without standing on your head. You don’t say what’s on the back. So you also need to measure from the center of the rear axle to the back of the cab on the old frame,to see if this dimension suits your needs. Otherwise you’re in for a frame altering. Just FYI, if the  ‘93 cab is in reasonable condition, the starting price for those 4700 style doors is $400/each. Just throwing it out there.

You are definitely going to need a dog house. The late Loadstars had a DT466 option. I don't recall ever seeing a late DT466 Loadstar with a butterfly hood.

• Like 1

A DT466 Loadstar has a big doghouse, and I really can’t see the butterfly hood working. I drove said truck quite a bit about 20 years ago, great rig, but very unique. The 466 was definitely a shoe horn, whereas the s series was built to accommodate the 466. The s series cab is also much wider, I have never taken any measurements between the two, but I suspect what you want to do will be very difficult and expensive. 

Try finding an older fleetstar instead. The older fleetstar had a similar cab as  the loadstar, was available with butterfly hoods and should have room oor a dt466, or something bigger! Thx-Ace 

img6984_94176.jpg

img6988_94180.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1